Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Also, I'm seeing more and more comments from people on social media about how big Shenmue fans they are, but they're still afraid to play their copy of Shenmue 3... Seeing that kind of things drives me crazy. I can not understand it.
I'll never forget the day on November 19th, 2019 when I got home from work and the first thing I did before even changing my clothes was to launch the game. The main menu and the music almost brought me to tears. How these people managed to not launch the game all these years and what are they afraid of? 😅
Yeah, this is silly… I luckily didn’t have the huge wait between 2-3 - I had the originals from the DC back when they came out, played them, but for some stupid reason never finished either of them until revisiting them in 2021, loved them that much I went out and got a PS4 so I could play S3. For me it followed on perfectly, I had zero issue with the game - didn’t and don’t get what all of the negativity towards it is.

In any case I suppose the mixed reaction to it is what it is at this point, but the other thing with that is I honestly believe if S4 happens it’ll reverse some of the antipathy towards S3, recontextualise it.

Yu Suzuki should have put a Shenmue 4 advertisement on the Super Bowl. There would have been 100 million eyes on the ad and everyone would be talking about Shenmue right now. <sigh>

Until a year ago, I thought we could surely raise at least 5 million from a new kickstarter. But now I'm thinking that if we can't even buy 500 units of the 70 euro collector's edition of Air Twister to support Ysnet... How are we going to raise 5 million? :D For 70 euro you get two Yu Suzuki autographs, one art book , the game with manual, one book with yu suzuki biography and two disk soundtrack... and almost nobody buying it.

Also, I'm seeing more and more comments from people on social media about how big Shenmue fans they are, but they're still afraid to play their copy of Shenmue 3... Seeing that kind of things drives me crazy. I can not understand it.
I'll never forget the day on November 19th, 2019 when I got home from work and the first thing I did before even changing my clothes was to launch the game. The main menu and the music almost brought me to tears. How these people managed to not launch the game all these years and what are they afraid of? 😅
It also brought tears to my eyes. I was so grateful. I really enjoyed Shenmue III.
I was however reluctant to try the Story DLC due to all the posts that the Story DLC was hard to activate. So I never played the Story DLC.
I recently decided to finally play the Story DLC. It activated without any issues for me.
Actually loved it. It was more detailed than I was expecting. I think the article released about it encouraged me to give it a go. The upside of this was, since I didn't play the DLC till now, it felt like I got a Shenmue release this year!

So anyone out there that owns Shenmue III, but still hasn't played it, give it a go!

Also, I'm seeing more and more comments from people on social media about how big Shenmue fans they are, but they're still afraid to play their copy of Shenmue 3...

because they aren't fan of Shenmue nor Yu.
they never realized that we all backed a kickstarter game, not a AAA Sega game on Dreamcast 2.

the problem is when these posers feel the urge to write how they they disappointed in every shenmue post on socials.

the problem is when these posers feel the urge to write how they they disappointed in every shenmue post on socials.
Yeah, these people are ridiculous. How do we stop them? :D

I'm starting to see a pattern in these types of comments.

The first type is the "betrayed kickstarter backer" who was cheated by Yu Suziki, Epic, etc.

The second type are the ones who always start with how great games Shenmue I and II are (not that they aren't). The idea is that by starting with something true that everyone knows, they give power to the next stupidity they will pour on Shenmue III.

The third type are those who are so afraid to try the third game because they have heard how bad the game is. They don't want to "spoil" their good memories. :)

Recently, a new type of "announcers" has emerged whose idea is to declare the series dead. The culprit is naturally Yu Suzuki, who blew the money. They usually offer impossible things as an alternative to what shenmue 3 is. For example "make it with the Dreamcast engine for less money...."

I assume these announcers work for YS Net. They know something we don’t.

We’re in trouble now!!

Yeah, these people are ridiculous. How do we stop them? :D

I'm starting to see a pattern in these types of comments.

The first type is the "betrayed kickstarter backer" who was cheated by Yu Suziki, Epic, etc.

The second type are the ones who always start with how great games Shenmue I and II are (not that they aren't). The idea is that by starting with something true that everyone knows, they give power to the next stupidity they will pour on Shenmue III.

The third type are those who are so afraid to try the third game because they have heard how bad the game is. They don't want to "spoil" their good memories. :)

Recently, a new type of "announcers" has emerged whose idea is to declare the series dead. The culprit is naturally Yu Suzuki, who blew the money. They usually offer impossible things as an alternative to what shenmue 3 is. For example "make it with the Dreamcast engine for less money...."

Yeah

I wish I knew a good way to stop them, maybe our problem is we are just too kind as a community.
I noticed that being kind with these "gentlemen" simply doesn't work, but they'll shut up the moment you decide to confront them, and you know why? Because they have no convintions, they just troll and parrot what internet says.
So they are very very easy to defeat in a discussion, they'll just run away at the second post, when they realize that their trolling doesn't work that easy.
Things will probably get nasty but that's just internet.

So that's my suggestion, defend Shenmue, defend Shenmue 3 and defend Shenmue 4, don't leave openings, don't be weak and don't be condescending with the enemy (they are our enemies literally).
Don't let others damaging and destroying our passion.

Yeah

I wish I knew a good way to stop them, maybe our problem is we are just too kind as a community.
I noticed that being kind with these "gentlemen" simply doesn't work, but they'll shut up the moment you decide to confront them, and you know why? Because they have no convintions, they just troll and parrot what internet says.
So they are very very easy to defeat in a discussion, they'll just run away at the second post, when they realize that their trolling doesn't work that easy.
Things will probably get nasty but that's just internet.

So that's my suggestion, defend Shenmue, defend Shenmue 3 and defend Shenmue 4, don't leave openings, don't be weak and don't be condescending with the enemy (they are our enemies literally).
Don't let others damaging and destroying our passion.
I have an idea on how to stop them.

We get all these types of people together, lure them like Tony and Smith by saying "we need to tell them something important" and we lead them into an abandoned parking lot where the whole Shenmue Dojo is waiting and ready to pound them!
"Ha Ha! We Got Ya!" "This time you're dead."

The stupid thing is that for one such person, there should be 10 others that says good word about Shenmue. Оften that doesn't happen. But what to do. We cannot shine everywhere at all times. The battle for Shenmue 4 will be tough. Even if they do announce it, it will be only the beginning. Haters will stalk like hyenas for every little mistake.

In the times with no Shenmue news at all, haters still don't miss the chance to comment how Yu Suzuki screwed them on almost every post. Can you imagine what will happen if they announce the game and new trailers start coming out... :) We have to start thinking about some kind of defense force. :LOL:

This year may be the last we can hope to see another shenmue game from Yu Suzuki. If in 2024 he fails to find a publisher, the future of the series goes in a completely different direction. We need to make a lot of noise this year…. Maybe for the last time.

Last edited:
The battle for Shenmue 4 will be tough. Even if they do announce it, it will be only the beginning. Haters will stalk like hyenas for every little mistake.

In the times with no Shenmue news at all, haters still don't miss the chance to comment how Yu Suzuki screwed them on almost every post. Can you imagine what will happen if they announce the game and new trailers start coming out... :) We have to start thinking about some kind of defense force. :LOL:

This year may be the last we can hope to see another shenmue game from Yu Suzuki. If in 2024 he fails to find a publisher, the future of the series goes in a completely different direction. We need to make a lot of noise this year…. Maybe for the last time.
Yes it's only the beginning.... not to mention the future battles for Shenmue 5.. it's enough to give someone a panic attack.

The only thing I think we got screwed on was the kickstarter stretch goals which were not based in any kind of reality but it wasn't really YS's fault. The stetchgoals may not have been anchored in any sort of achievable reality but they were a sincere wishlist.

I agree that 2024 is now or never for S4... 2025 will mark 10 years since S3 was announced so if there's no movement this year it will be a phycological defeat which we won't be able to recover from.

Last edited:
End of 2024 with no news will probably be the end of the Shenmue 4 dream made by Yu Suzuki.

Lately, I've been thinking that Sammy-Sega would do some sort of their own version of Shenmue, but without Yu Suzuki. They are waiting for him to retire and stop making games. In this case, a Yakuza-like Shenmue will be born, which is not something we will like... At least most of us.

The other thing to hope for next year is to see the story in a novel or manga. Perhaps a kickstarter for such a thing would be more achievable.

Then knowing the plot, maybe a group of talented fans will make a fan version of the game. Who knows...

Whatever happens, we must not stop dreaming. It's still early 2024. :)

End of 2024 with no news will probably be the end of the Shenmue 4 dream made by Yu Suzuki.

Lately, I've been thinking that Sammy-Sega would do some sort of their own version of Shenmue, but without Yu Suzuki. They are waiting for him to retire and stop making games. In this case, a Yakuza-like Shenmue will be born, which is not something we will like... At least most of us.

The other thing to hope for next year is to see the story in a novel or manga. Perhaps a kickstarter for such a thing would be more achievable.

Then knowing the plot, maybe a group of talented fans will make a fan version of the game. Who knows...

Whatever happens, we must not stop dreaming. It's still early 2024. :)
I straight up think SEGA won't touch it without Yu Suzuki unless he's 100% out the game. So that could be an awfully long wait.

The stupid thing is that for one such person, there should be 10 others that says good word about Shenmue. Оften that doesn't happen. But what to do. We cannot shine everywhere at all times. The battle for Shenmue 4 will be tough. Even if they do announce it, it will be only the beginning. Haters will stalk like hyenas for every little mistake.

I agree, It's the same thing I said in the past, we should be ready to defend Shenmue 4 with full force the moment it will be announced.
I we let these people run loose again and do all the damage like they did with Shenmue 3, we are finished.

This year is crucial, it's almost the deadline to have both shenmue 4 and 5 in a reasonable timeframe (PS5 is also approaching its final phase...) , at the very least it should be announced in 2024 otherwise we risk too much.

I wonder what the relationship between YS and Sega is like these days - if anything at all?

I don’t personally see the end of the year as a deadline of sorts, as long as YS is still active and making games then there’s always a chance I think. Obviously the longer time goes on the chances dwindle.

What I wouldn’t give for a rumour or tease of some description though.

It seems to me Yu still wants to tell the story in game form, so he must still have some hope that it can happen that way. I don’t have any problem with the story being told in another format if all hope is lost, but ideally it’s game all the way for me.

I wish the fans could unify and let Yu know we just want the story told even if we can’t play it, if the majority feels that way.
I agree with this, but it appears there are quite a lot that don't want this.

I mean, it's not like they will get enough funding to make a game so innovative and unique that it would have the same impact as the originals. At this point, we will be lucky to get any more games and a (probably) rushed story ending. Doing a manga could allow for the story to be told uncut with his full vision. I think this could have a bigger impact than any future game could.

It also wouldn't preclude the games from being made thereafter. In fact, if the story is good and compelling enough, it could actually help the chances of future games.

Yeah, I personally don’t really care about having the story finished in another medium just to have a conclusion. Shenmue is what it is because of its gameplay (and Yu Suzuki). Nothing solidified that for me more than the anime. I loved Shenmue III, though, and would easily put it in my top five games of the past decade. (There’s not a whole lot in the last decade I’ve particularly liked, so it’s not as if I thought Shenmue III was perfect, either.) I’m happy to have more of Shenmue III. Bring it on.

I just want the original scripts for VF-RPG, either way, but especially if there’s no more Shenmue games. I’m sure Sega controls that, so it’s probably pretty unlikely that ever happens, sadly.

We all want a game. But I just don’t think it’s realistic anymore. I don’t want a Kentaro Miura situation. From all I’ve heard Kouji Mori, who is continuing Berserk, was best friends with Miura and knew how the story would go. I have no idea if there is anyone else who would intimately know the story of Shenmue if heaven forbid anything happened to Yu. And Berserk was much more mainstream than Shenmue. I don’t know if anyone would even feel any obligation to finish the story. At least with Berserk it’s been around since the 80s.

Yu, sheesh, we all aren’t getting any younger. I say take some quality time to craft an epic manga of the entire series. Don’t just pick up at Shenmue 4. There are so many possibilities of what they can do as far as fleshing the story out. Give us the boat chapter! Manga is white hot right now. People who would have never played the game for so many reasons(its reputation, starting at 4 instead of at the beginning, etc.) would read the manga.

And if it kills it in sales then maybe do an(other) anime adaptation or the game pitch can be dusted off and we can get more games made.

I can’t help but feel the passage of time taking away the chances for us to know the story. And there are so many unanswered questions. It would be a huge regret of my life(trivial in the grand scheme of things, I know) if we don’t finish the story in some form.

Back