Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Can't see my buddies struggling like this.
Don't be alarmed anyone, idk if its just the YT search algorithm acting on me but when I search for S3 reviews it throws at me favorable ones overall.
Yes, many do have less views and likes than the -in my case- lesser handful of negative ones but thats because the launch hot moment has passed.
In my opinion, something that was pointed by many gamers (fans and new blood) pointed is happening or in the way: time its putting the game status in a more fair place. Similar to many other cultural products through different media.

About haters, in general, a friend o mine told me something that sounded reasonable: we went through a period of time in which negativity, mean sarcasm and hate being popular and cool in the masses eye. This period could be at its peak atm but it eventually turn around like every other trend and hate will be uncool. Rinse and repeat.

At last but not least, anyone favouring a S4 released episodical including a Special Editon containing a quality manga that ignite the series on paper media? We could end the journey with both products existing. Been thinking about this since Yu-san last interview (iirc Lucca con?) where he still talked about Shenmue in game format, flashbacks, updated Yokosuka return... And yet he pointed in his usual cryptic way that a manga which he recently readed was a great way of telling stories.

Take care everyone and keep doing good. Remember to feed stray cats, help old ladies and defend kids from shady punks.

About haters, in general, a friend o mine told me something that sounded reasonable: we went through a period of time in which negativity, mean sarcasm and hate being popular and cool in the masses eye. This period could be at its peak atm but it eventually turn around like every other trend and hate will be uncool. Rinse and repeat.
WORD!

giphy.gif

Don't be alarmed anyone, idk if its just the YT search algorithm acting on me but when I search for S3 reviews it throws at me favorable ones overall.
Maybe reporting "One eyed wolf" video for like 10 times already help the algorithm. :D

The video game industry is going through a period of decline... which I don't know how would affect a new Shenmue game. It might be a good thing if they find a way to make it cheaper and episodic.

Right now Shenmue fans are so hungry for something new that even a 10 hour episode would be manna from heaven.

Manga isn’t something I’ve ever been interested in, but if he’s going to tell the story outside of a game, it’d probably be the only realistic way.

I thought personally the anime was a bit too fast paced and lost a of bit of its Shenmue-feeling to it as a result - given we’re not even halfway through the complete story, can you imagine how many episodes it’d take to tell it in full?

Despite not being into Manga, obviously I’d buy the Shenmue one straight away.

I don’t want a Kentaro Miura situation. From all I’ve heard Kouji Mori, who is continuing Berserk, was best friends with Miura and knew how the story would go. I have no idea if there is anyone else who would intimately know the story of Shenmue if heaven forbid anything happened to Yu.
There is: Keiji Okayasu. The somehow often forgotten co-director/sub-director for all three games. Yu has basically always handed Keiji a broad outline of the progression for the games, while Keiji takes those to implement the gameplay mechanics, and build out all of the inbetween moments. (He was also the main reason for Chobu-chan hunting being in Shenmue III.)

He probably wouldn't be compelled to finish it the same way, though, since he's openly admitted he doesn't really find the Shenmnue games enjoyable, and unlike Yu, has always kept up with new games. Plus he also left Sega many years ago, and may not have the same relationship with them as Yu does, even.

In terms of just someone completing the story in a manga, anime, etc form, all of the original story is already transcribed in the VF-RPG scripts, so pretty much any author could just look over them, and reconstruct it for their chosen medium. It would of course be nice to have Yu consulting on the final product, but he isn't necessarily essential for that, strictly speaking.

There is: Keiji Okayasu. The somehow often forgotten co-director/sub-director for all three games. Yu has basically always handed Keiji a broad outline of the progression for the games, while Keiji takes those to implement the gameplay mechanics, and build out all of the inbetween moments. (He was also the main reason for Chobu-chan hunting being in Shenmue III.)

He probably wouldn't be compelled to finish it the same way, though, since he's openly admitted he doesn't really find the Shenmnue games enjoyable, and unlike Yu, has always kept up with new games. Plus he also left Sega many years ago, and may not have the same relationship with them as Yu does, even.

In terms of just someone completing the story in a manga, anime, etc form, all of the original story is already transcribed in the VF-RPG scripts, so pretty much any author could just look over them, and reconstruct it for their chosen medium. It would of course be nice to have Yu consulting on the final product, but he isn't necessarily essential for that, strictly speaking.
Wait so the co-director of Shenmue doesn't even LIKE Shenmue????

Also Ryan Peyton knows the full storyline of Shenmue which is good because YS is going to be 66 this year and since the life expectancy in Japan is 84 we're looking at just 18 more years (to put in perspective Shenmue 1 came out 25 years ago)... And keep in mind each Shenmue game will take at least 4.5 years to make (rushed) so there's only time for YS to make 3-4 more Shenmue games and that's if he starts NOW.

Personally, I blame this lazy a**hole in Florida... he could have used the $36M to fund S4 and S5!

Last edited:
There is: Keiji Okayasu. The somehow often forgotten co-director/sub-director for all three games. ... he's openly admitted he doesn't really find the Shenmnue games enjoyable.
Excuse me, can you provide sources for that? Because I only recall him once pointing that it has likeable and dislikeable points, just like every other game.

Also Ryan Peyton knows the full storyline of Shenmue which is good because YS is going to be 66 this year and since the life expectancy in Japan is 84 we're looking at just 18 more years (to put in perspective Shenmue 1 came out 25 years ago)... And keep in mind each Shenmue game will take at least 4.5 years to make (rushed) so there's only time for YS to make 3-4 more Shenmue games and that's if he starts NOW.
tenor.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: JP_
Wait so the co-director of Shenmue doesn't even LIKE Shenmue????
Well, when you put it that way, I've been part of making things I wouldn't use myself. I don't think that's particularly weird, but it's also not really what I said. Okayasu has been working with Yu on the Shenmue project since almost the beginning, through both iterations of the Saturn version. (As an aside, Yu brought him in as someone to help with making an RPG, since Yu didn't have that experience, and Okayasu worked on Sword of Vermillion and made Rent a Hero.) So Shenmue is a huge part of Okayasu's life, also. The two just have different design practices mainly because Yu is 'unteathered' by a lot of gaming conventions.

Excuse me, can you provide sources for that?
I think it was somewhere in here (this interview was a pretty juicy one), but I recall another interview like this, with all three of them, where there might have been some more candid feelings. I can't seem to find that one, though; So, I'm not sure.

Well, when you put it that way, I've been part of making things I wouldn't use myself. I don't think that's particularly weird, but it's also not really what I said. Okayasu has been working with Yu on the Shenmue project since almost the beginning, through both iterations of the Saturn version. (As an aside, Yu brought him in as someone to help with making an RPG, since Yu didn't have that experience, and Okayasu worked on Sword of Vermillion and made Rent a Hero.) So Shenmue is a huge part of Okayasu's life, also. The two just have different design practices mainly because Yu is 'unteathered' by a lot of gaming conventions.

I think it was somewhere in here (this interview was a pretty juicy one), but I recall another interview like this, with all three of them, where there might have been some more candid feelings. I can't seem to find that one, though; So, I'm not sure.
What is said in the interview? Aside from YS wearing his favorite (read: only) shirt I want some of that sweet-sweet juice!

Also-side topic- the pic on the video with Shenhua and Ryo looking up at the Shenmue Tree... is that scene actually in the game?

It was featured in one of the trailers and I don't remember seeing it during my play through nor have I found it on Youtube.

YS is going to be 66 this year and since the life expectancy in Japan is 84 we're looking at just 18 more years
Damn it, I told you before not to say exactly this. It is beyond idiotic and it is hugely offensive. I was gentle last time but this time I want to be totally clear with you. I was widowed at 29 when some pains my wife was having in her shoulder turned out to be terminal cancer and within a few months she went from seemingly normal to dead in the ground. Did the average life expectancy in the UK save her? Guess what - no! So PLEASE - knock it off! You are making yourself look like an utter fool and you are offending us.

Damn it, I told you before not to say exactly this. It is beyond idiotic and it is hugely offensive. I was gentle last time but this time I want to be totally clear with you. I was widowed at 29 when some pains my wife was having in her shoulder turned out to be terminal cancer and within a few months she went from seemingly normal to dead in the ground. Did the average life expectancy in the UK save her? Guess what - no! So PLEASE - knock it off! You are making yourself look like an utter fool and you are offending us.
sorry to hear about your partner.

My sincere condolences about the loss of your wife I didn't mean to cause any offense.

I was just ripping off this joke from the Simpsons which I thought was funny when I first saw it.

My sincere condolences about the loss of your wife I didn't mean to cause any offense.

I was just ripping off this joke from the Simpsons which I thought was funny when I first saw it.

Thank you. I accept your condolences and appreciate the explanation.

What I mean to say is that the fan base for Shenmue is now largely middle aged and the creator is now a senior citizen.

I really do get a sense that time is simply running out which is why it's critical that Shenmue 4 gets started ASAP.

We can't expect to have the luxury of a 10-15 year wait between games anymore.

What I mean to say is that the fan base for Shenmue is now largely middle aged and the creator is now a senior citizen.

I really do get a sense that time is simply running out which is why it's critical that Shenmue 4 gets started ASAP.

We can't expect to have the luxury of a 10-15 year wait between games anymore.

i think every shenmue fan wants shenmue 4 asap 🤞, but lets say Yu Suzuki retires in the next few years, i don't think shenmue will cease to exist.. it's highly likely he will entrust the IP to someone else.. and if enough time goes by sega might decide to completely reboot shenmue.

one thing going for shenmue 4, is that with new computer programs, game making has gotten a lot easier/cheaper.

i think every shenmue fan wants shenmue 4 asap 🤞, but lets say Yu Suzuki retires in the next few years, i don't think shenmue will cease to exist.. it's highly likely he will entrust the IP to someone else.. and if enough time goes by sega might decide to completely reboot shenmue.

one thing going for shenmue 4, is that with new computer programs, game making has gotten a lot easier/cheaper.
hey need a clarification or explanation not agreeing or disagreeing with u but i’ve only heard game development is costing more & more expensive at least right now or since 2010-now because new technologies & the expectations to meet the market’s standards & games are getting bigger & more beautiful especially open-world games so which computer programs has made gaming a lot easier/cheaper I do agree game development is less harder or easier now because the old paved the way for the new especially discovering groundbreaking technologies we used to see huge jumps between sequels or the studio’s new game compared to the one that came before i’ve been hearing a lot of buzz around AI but when u read into it more Al still has a lot of problems & we’re still long away from Al doing huge or massive work

You're very strong.

hey need a clarification or explanation not agreeing or disagreeing with u but i’ve only heard game development is costing more & more expensive at least right now or since 2010-now because new technologies & the expectations to meet the market’s standards & games are getting bigger & more beautiful especially open-world games so which computer programs has made gaming a lot easier/cheaper I do agree game development is less harder or easier now because the old paved the way for the new especially discovering groundbreaking technologies we used to see huge jumps between sequels or the studio’s new game compared to the one that came before i’ve been hearing a lot of buzz around AI but when u read into it more Al still has a lot of problems & we’re still long away from Al doing huge or massive work
What have points and commas done to you? I had to stop from 4th line to catch my breath. Sweet Lord of Mountain Bikes...

The age of Yu-san might be problem but in general you should never give up hope. Fans were demanding the Resident Evil Remakes for years and they finally got them after a long waiting time.

The faster we get S4 the better so Yu-san can work on completely.

I will never give up hope on S4 but I am not sure if now is the right time for it unfortunately. The gaming industry in shambles and most companies would also greenlight low risk games that are loved by the masses. Something experimential like Shenmue 4 would be on the high priority list of most publishers. The Industry will need some time to recover before something experimental like Shenmue is wanted again.

Another Kickstarter would be the best option in the curent state of the industry but due to bad execution of the first kickstarter another one happening is rather unlikely I am afraid.

The age of Yu-san might be problem but in general you should never give up hope. Fans were demanding the Resident Evil Remakes for years and they finally got them after a long waiting time.

The faster we get S4 the better so Yu-san can work on completely.

I will never give up hope on S4 but I am not sure if now is the right time for it unfortunately. The gaming industry in shambles and most companies would also greenlight low risk games that are loved by the masses. Something experimential like Shenmue 4 would be on the high priority list of most publishers. The Industry will need some time to recover before something experimental like Shenmue is wanted again.

Another Kickstarter would be the best option in the curent state of the industry but due to bad execution of the first kickstarter another one happening is rather unlikely I am afraid.
Dude I’m sorry but I gotta dislike this post.

The RE analogy doesn’t work because each RE game is stand alone and isn’t dependent on some grand story conceived by Shinji Mikami.

If now is not the time for Shenmue 4 then we are f*cked.

If now is not the time, when WILL be the time to finally get started on finishing the remaining 60% of the story and when all is said and done in what year will the Shenmue story be completed in game form? 2035? 2040? 2050?

As I said earlier it’s now or never for S4. Our lives are not infinite.

IDK I’m just losing hope we’re no longer children with our whole lives ahead of us.

Back