Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

I think these layoffs only affect large companies and corporations. There is no reason to worry about Ysnet.

I honestly don’t think “no news is good news” in this case. YSnet isn’t going to broadcast that it laid its staff off. And I doubt any media sites would be watching for that. I don’t know what happened between the conclusion of Shenmue 3’s development and Air Twister but unless they’ve been secretly working on Shenmue 4 or something else I would imagine YSnet is skeleton crew now.

If Shenmue 3 sold like a Call of Duty game or GTA and the reception to the game was glowing I would trust in no news being good news. But Shenmue 3 didn’t. The longer we go the less realistic it seems that Yu is working on 4. That’s why I hope there’s a Plan B if a game isn’t realistic anymore.

I dont have a clue about renewing web host for Japan companies, so just asking: its this normal?
IMG_20240307_193005.jpg
I mean updating host just for 10 months and getting so close to expiration date. For a relatively safe company I would be guessing a two years period or one at least, expiring in 2025. Idk.

Yeah, it’s normal. They could have added a DNS record if they changed their website CMS or something. And they registered the domain in April of 2022 and it expires(and will likely renew) in April of this year.

If we're hoping for Air Twister to be Shenmue IV's savior, I'd hope for something else. I don't think it sold much at all, nor did I expect it to. It's a weirdo niche game.

I’m glad you said it. Screw Air Twister. I’d entertain it if we were also getting Shenmue but otherwise that shit is for the birds.

I detect there’s a little bit of Stockholm syndrome going on right now, people rationalizing another 20 year wait saying it’s “for the best” trying to psychologically make the best of a dire situation.

There was even 1 Shenmue fan who actually claimed that Air Twister was the absolute best thing that YS Net could be doing “right now” (not Shenmue 4- freaking Air Twister) because “well now they can make a new game and gear up for Shenmue 4 down the road when it makes sense to make it…. blah blah blah… poppycock Stockholm syndrome!

Last edited:
I’m glad you said it. Screw Air Twister. I’d entertain it if we were also getting Shenmue but otherwise that shit is for the birds.

I detect there’s a little bit of Stockholm syndrome going on right now, people rationalizing another 20 year wait saying it’s “for the best” trying to psychologically make the best of a dire situation.

There was even 1 Shenmue fan who actually claimed that Air Twister was the absolute best thing that YS Net could be doing “right now” (not Shenmue 4- freaking Air Twister) because “well now they can make a new game and gear up for Shenmue 4 down the road when it makes sense to make it…. blah blah blah… poppycock Stockholm syndrome!
You do realise they need these other games to stay in business right? Would you turn down a load of cash to make a game for Apple and then get more money from a publisher to have it go onto console later on?

Yeah, it’s normal. They could have added a DNS record if they changed their website CMS or something. And they registered the domain in April of 2022 and it expires(and will likely renew) in April of this year.
Ours just auto-renews each year so I'd say it is normal.

If YsNet can’t get the money for S4 at the moment, at least they’re working on other things, no sense in shutting up shop if Yu Suzuki has other ideas that he can achieve, which he clearly wants to.

It seems to be like Shenmue 4 would be his obvious first choice if it was up to him, given it comes up in nearly every single interview.

Non-YsNet / S4 / Air Twister related… is there any chance he’s involved in the potential new VF game that was supposedly leaked the other day?

You do realise they need these other games to stay in business right? Would you turn down a load of cash to make a game for Apple and then get more money from a publisher to have it go onto console later on?
Didn’t Shenmue 3 keep them in business from 2015-2019? Didn’t they make money with that? Why didn’t they segue from S3 to S4 while the iron is hot? Well because we got screwed that’s why and there ain’t no silver lining on this raincloud.

Like seriously YS are gonna waste years making a Mickey Mouse mobile game like Air Twister meanwhile all the hard work and investment they did on the Shenmue 3 assets/engine to build Shenmue 4 off of becomes stale outdated and now useless?

Seems they shot themselves in the foot. Like now they would use decade old S3 assets to make S4?

And why would a publisher let them have a go at S4 due to making a mobile game? Apples and oranges.

I think @SMDzero is in the Shenmue 4 or bust crowd. If YSNet isn't working on Shenmue 4, then he doesn't want to hear about anything else they are doing. His tone might be a bit aggressive, but I get it. I'm all for Yu Suzuki doing whatever he has to do to keep the lights on, even if it's making a game that nobody asked for (Air Twister).

But for me personally, that time is ticking and we need Shenmue 4 NOW. Instead of these fundraising small title games YSNet is doing to possibly foot the bill for another Shenmue game, it would be great if Sega gave YS the proper resources he needs to make a full-fledged Shenmue sequel. It's the only way I see it ever getting done at this point.

Non-YsNet / S4 / Air Twister related… is there any chance he’s involved in the potential new VF game that was supposedly leaked the other day?
Yes, there is. First because Sega already resorted to Yu Suzuki for the unpopular VF nfts and second, since Shuji Utsumi its a the new CEO (and Dreamcast OG) it substantially rises that chance.

If you want to help YSnet, buy Air Twister for a friend's birthday or something. This is the only way for now. I hope there are other ways in the future, Early Access, Kickstarter or just a preorder of Shenmue 4 :)

Let's not go back and forth about Shenmue 3 not selling like GTA. The game didn't hit Deep Silver's target, but it wasn't a flop. Shenmue 3 and Air Twister are decent successes for YS net. We're waiting to see what game they're making right now.

Yes, there is. First because Sega already resorted to Yu Suzuki for the unpopular VF nfts and second, since Shuji Utsumi its a the new CEO (and Dreamcast OG) it substantially rises that chance.
If he is involved with it then it’s a good sign that YS is back “in” to some extent with a big games company - which would be the first time since Sony for S3? I may very well be wrong so am happy to be corrected.

I do completely understand people’s despondency with the lack of Shenmue news. I can’t pretend to fully understand the frustration having not been around between S2 and S3, but I sympathise with you all.

If you want to help YSnet, buy Air Twister for a friend's birthday or something.
Id argue buying multiple copies of Shenmue 3 for a friends birthday would be best for getting Shenmue 4. Do you know what buying enough copies of Air Twister would result in? Air Twister 2 SMH

I think @SMDzero is in the Shenmue 4 or bust crowd. If YSNet isn't working on Shenmue 4, then he doesn't want to hear about anything else they are doing.
I just don’t think we should be celebrating Air Twister. Clearly YS Net is being forced to slum it and we shouldn’t patronize them to make ourselves feel better.

Imagine if Yu Suzuki himself was impacted by the industry layoffs and was forced to get a lowly job wiping down the tracks of bullet trains to put food on the table for his family (and being forced to dodge the incoming bullet trains at the last minute before picking up his rag and resuming his menial work).

As fans we would not “celebrate” nor advertise YS being forced to do such lowly work- we would instead not be satisfied until he was back at work leading a major studio.

Don't you think thats a reduction to the absurd @SMDzero ? There's no point in making a comparison like that with making a game like Air Twister. At the end of the day, that's what YS is doing: working with the resources he has at reach. In case his company falls under the industry tremors, he could easily retire without the need of taking any high or low job. But in reality he almost surely would land in other game company in a consulting role minimum. It could be any of the Oasysx venture, including Sega.
Now that I mention Sega, I believe you're failing the target: Its on Sega's side to fund YS for S4 with lets say a half of the Project Hyenas budget.
Personally, as a fan, I will celebrate YS continuity at work or retirement no matter what. And this doesn't quality as stockholm syndrome, is not like he did hit with a baseball bat the crap out of a fan asking for Shenmue and we're defending it (that would be stockholm indeed). Just saying my point of view, dont wanna argue. Regards ;)

I get it. The more time that passes, the less likely and the less viable Shenmue 4 becomes. If people think Shenmue 4 is suddenly going to happen, out of the blue, almost 5 years after the release of Shenmue 3, then they are naive.

I get people's frustrations, because most developers use Kickstarter as a springboard to ensure that they have the means to continue or produce a franchise. Yu Suzuki almost had tunnel vision though and seemingly had absolutely no foresight. He didn't do enough to save Shenmue.

There isn't a whole lot people can do. By all means, don't give up. Continue to voice your support for Shenmue 4, hijack polls and do tweetathons etc. Show there is still a demand. But if Shenmue freaking 3 itself couldn't demonstrate there was a demand, then I am not sure what else would convince the powers that be.

Edit: To be honest, I don't think Yu Suzuki even wants it that much. I don't sense any hunger from him to finish the franchise or to make Shenmue 4. I wouldn't blame him either. I imagine Shenmue 3 took a lot out of him.

The absolute silence is the worst part. I just wish Yu would give fans the current situation. That would be a nice thing to give fans. Without confirmation, there is this perpetual hope that there could be a surprise announcement, similar to 2002 to 2015.

I know I’ll hear “what is he going to say?” if nothing is happening (or if something is happening) and that “why would he say he can’t get funding because it will scare off potential investors”, but I think we are past that point now.

Why keep making it harder and harder to be a Shenmue fan? I don’t get it at all.

I get it. The more time that passes, the less likely and the less viable Shenmue 4 becomes. If people think Shenmue 4 is suddenly going to happen, out of the blue, almost 5 years after the release of Shenmue 3, then they are naive.

I get people's frustrations, because most developers use Kickstarter as a springboard to ensure that they have the means to continue or produce a franchise. Yu Suzuki almost had tunnel vision though and seemingly had absolutely no foresight. He didn't do enough to save Shenmue.

There isn't a whole lot people can do. By all means, don't give up. Continue to voice your support for Shenmue 4, hijack polls and do tweetathons etc. Show there is still a demand. But if Shenmue freaking 3 itself couldn't demonstrate there was a demand, then I am not sure what else would convince the powers that be.

Edit: To be honest, I don't think Yu Suzuki even wants it that much. I don't sense any hunger from him to finish the franchise or to make Shenmue 4. I wouldn't blame him either. I imagine Shenmue 3 took a lot out of him.
Perfectly said.

If S3 was not going to conclude the series, then YS really should not have made S3 "for the fans" he should have made it for today's audience to best ensure the future of the series.

If Shenmue 4 can't be made anytime soon and YS perhaps doesn't even want it anymore then he NEEDS to level with us.

Back