Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

How much longer u reckon
Even though I'm going to be worried if we hear nothing this year - all the time YSNET exists there's a chance.

One thing I'd love to know is the succession planning - it was mentioned during the kickstarter but who/what that is I've no idea.

The cynic in me says YS isn’t involved in VF6 because it’s too good to be true, but he did say something about Esports a year or two ago in an interview… That’s about all I’ve got.

Would keep him from putting much time into Shenmue, though.

To be honest, I would rather them risk it all and bet the house on Shenmue 4. After hearing the news about Akira Toriyama, it make me think how fast that door is closing for Shenmue. Toriyama and Suzuki are 3 years apart in age.

I apologize if I'm coming off a bit selfish, but I really believe that Shenmue 4 needs to get some sort of progress for the next 8-12 months or this series is in the danger zone. Unless Suzuki is making Space Harrier VR, I'm not really interested in any arcade or mobile titles from him right now. All I want is Shenmue 4.

The questions we need to be asking at this point is why Sega won't help Yu Suzuki finish the Shenmue story? What resources does YS need from Sega that could help him deliver a quality sequel?

I've heard that YS is affiliated in the new VF game and that a lot of the OG AM2 devs are working on the game. The Easter egg in the new Yakuza game was a great nod and acknowledgment to Shenmue.

So if this Virtua Fighter rumor is true, I think there's a decent chance that YS might have an in back at Sega and that could be VERY BENEFICIAL to the future of Shenmue. Logically speaking, IV would have ready-made upgrade to the combat if they use the new VF6 engine.

At the bare minimum, I really hope we get Ryo and Lan Di costumes for Akira and Lau for VF6 along with some Shenmue Easter eggs.

A scenario where Yu Suzuki helps Virtua Fighter 6 and in return Sega helps with Shenmue 4 (VF battle engine included) would be a dream come true.

I think VF6 could be huge if they let RGG run wild with the storylines and cinematics. That’s the style the series has always lacked covered. Not that I mind the “lack of style,” since the gameplay is so good and pure. I know that’s an issue for the mainstream gamers. I also think the first two games have an iconic and wonderful aesthetic.

Definitely a huge moment for the series if they nail the gameplay.

Last edited:
The cynic in me says YS isn’t involved in VF6 because it’s too good to be true, but he did say something about Esports a year or two ago in an interview… That’s about all I’ve got.

Would keep him from putting much time into Shenmue, though.
I share similar thoughts. He probably has a supervising/consultant role like those giving notes to movie scripts. Given that focus is on reboot leaning to "more dramatical" (whatever that open statement means) its logical that the bulk of development is going to be carried by RGG and others.
Wasn't his e-sports statement made at the same moment that "A sequel to..."?
For what VF6 assistance could mean to S4 development, he could delegate to co-director as well.

I think VF6 could be huge if they let RGG run wild with the storylines and cinematics. That’s the style the series has always lacked covered. Not that I mind the “lack of style,” since the gameplay is so good and pure. I know that’s an issue for the mainstream gamers. I also think the first two games have an iconic and wonderful aesthetic.

Definitely a huge moment for the series if they nail the gameplay.

Absolutely
If RGG is at helm for the cutscenes, it could be the fighting game with the best story mode ever.

While if YS is involved, the gameplay will be again the best ever.

Back