Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

I share similar thoughts. He probably has a supervising/consultant role like those giving notes to movie scripts. Given that focus is on reboot leaning to "more dramatical" (whatever that open statement means) its logical that the bulk of development is going to be carried by RGG and others.
Wasn't his e-sports statement made at the same moment that "A sequel to..."?
For what VF6 assistance could mean to S4 development, he could delegate to co-director as well.
This is possibly an unpopular opinion, but if we do get Shenmue IV I actually do hope that Yu Suzuki advises / oversees it and lets someone else, with a better grasp of modern game development, to direct it.

I'm not saying I want Shenmue to change or be overtly modernized. I'm saying Suzuki was a legend in his own time and although I love the man and his work, I don't know that he's well-suited for directing a marketable game in the modern industry. I think he would really shine as a co-director.

This is possibly an unpopular opinion, but if we do get Shenmue IV I actually do hope that Yu Suzuki advises / oversees it and lets someone else, with a better grasp of modern game development, to direct it.

I'm not saying I want Shenmue to change or be overtly modernized. I'm saying Suzuki was a legend in his own time and although I love the man and his work, I don't know that he's well-suited for directing a marketable game in the modern industry. I think he would really shine as a co-director.
Dude you’re basically saying that YS is like George Lucas. Great in his day, but lost it with age and atrophy and now should to stay on purely in a ceremonial grandfatherly role while the younger more relevant talent takes over the real work.

Well I say BALLS to that.

Depending the forums, thats the popular opinion. Personally, I think that Suzuki's hawk eye is mandatory for Shenmueness.

I dunno how I feel about having YS sidelined, I completely understand the perspective, but I think without him you’d not get the intangible feel of a YS game.

You can in some ways link the song choice in Outrun to Shenmue’s open every drawer thing or Shenmue 2’s millions of extraneous rooms in Kowloon. I understand the negatives to that, but it’s that level of on the face of it pointless detail that makes those games.

His games all have a certain thing to them that others don’t.

But is that level of detail feasible at this point? Shrug.

I didn’t realize Sega released a new version of VF3 TB in Japan, arcade only, or that it’s currently one of the most popular competitive fighting games in Japan as well. Yu Suzuki still killing it with the only 90s 3D fighting game series with 32-bit era entries that still look good and play well.

Definitely missed a step or two with S3 but the longevity of his old games, especially from that era, is amazing… I don’t think anyone out there is playing Tekken 2, but VF 1-3 live on.

Last edited:
The only thing Yu Suzuki is missing from the old days is more money and the conditions that he had at the old Sega.

These things cannot be returned. Sega now is not the same innovative company it once was.

We have to put up with a smaller budget than modern games if we want to see shenmue 4. Shenmue 4 will not promote new hardware graphics power like it was in 1999.

Co-director already Okayasu...? Maybe also bring in Aoki as another co-director? Suzuki still the main director but now theres two very talented game designers assisting to their strengths. Personally with a lot of layoffs and industry turmoil and pubishers beings absolutely bonkers; id prefer episodic. Might even allow us chance to do the train chapter and Baisha

EDIT

Publishers theyre already familar with like ININ Games or even Limited Run, if their founder truly does want to help complete Shenmue, might be more attacted to the small production and possibe higher reward overall. Never know--perhaps Sega themselves prefer smaller chapter style releases...?

I want to clarify: I'm not saying he should be sidelined, and I'm not saying he should step aside and let someone else take over. What I am saying is that I would love for him to team up with someone more in tune with the modern games industry to direct the game at his side.

I want to clarify: I'm not saying he should be sidelined, and I'm not saying he should step aside and let someone else take over. What I am saying is that I would love for him to team up with someone more in tune with the modern games industry to direct the game at his side.
YS is just fine as a game developer. He was given a banana peel and some string and still made Shenmue 3.

Now take back what you said!

I didn’t mean it I swear!

I’ll break your arm!

Yeah I don’t think sidelined was the right word to use in my post, that’s what you get for responding when you’re half asleep.

As you say it’d be good to have him involved with people who deal with modern games. At the same time though, I’d be interested to see what YS version of modern would be. Although that may just be wishful thinking. But also you have to hand over the reins a bit at some point.

It was perfectly clear. At least we didn't read any ill intention on it.

Absolutely no ill intention picked up on it from my part - if anything the more I’ve thought about it, it’s probably the way YS would intend on going anyway, given his comments about wanting to work with people in other positions - screenwriters and whatever - I think he maybe realises he’d need others on board to modernise it.

Admittedly I am making assumptions that he was talking about Shenmue when he said that.

Unless he wants to make OUTRUN THE MOVIE of course.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to play a Shenmue game that wasn’t directed by Yu Suzuki, though I do think that the series would benefit from some new ideas if he ever gets the chance to make another game. It’s a tough one, really, as his singular approach is part of what makes his games so magical, but it also holds them back in certain ways.

What really grinds my Gears is his Ryan Peyton had the gall to try to “educate” Yu Suzuki about how to make modern games today.

Peyton basically ruined MGS4 and turned it into crap so why did YS get suckered in to thinking he had something to teach him??

YS should have downed some sake and went Drunken Fist on his ass!

To be fair though maybe if Peyton had won the argument against YS S3 would have been more streamlined and focused on quality over quantity. I guess if I had been Peyton and saw YS wasting precious time and resources on a forklift game instead of cutscenes with Niao Sun and Lan Di I would have been pissed…….

Question becomes should Ryan Peyton have a hand in Shenmue 4s development? They tried it YS way last time maybe we try to Peytons way this time??

What really grinds my Gears is his Ryan Peyton had the gall to try to “educate” Yu Suzuki about how to make modern games today.

Peyton basically ruined MGS4 and turned it into crap so why did YS get suckered in to thinking he had something to teach him??

YS should have downed some sake and went Drunken Fist on his ass!

To be fair though maybe if Peyton had won the argument against YS S3 would have been more streamlined and focused on quality over quantity. I guess if I had been Peyton and saw YS wasting precious time and resources on a forklift game instead of cutscenes with Niao Sun and Lan Di I would have been pissed…….

Question becomes should Ryan Peyton have a hand in Shenmue 4s development? They tried it YS way last time maybe we try to Peytons way this time??
I've alot of time for Ryan Payton. He was kind enough to be interviewed by us in 2020 and really opened some eyes on the development of 3.

Some views I agree with (maybe tighter focus/smaller area) some I don't (rushing gamers into the game rather than having an extended cutscene which lots of games do).

What I can say is without Ryan's input (especially before the kickstarter) Shenmue 3 may well not exist. If he's involved in 4 I'd be interested to see how/what that is.

As I said I've alot of time for him. He's a fan and only wanted the best for the series.

PS I liked MGS4

I've alot of time for Ryan Payton. He was kind enough to be interviewed by us in 2020 and really opened some eyes on the development of 3.

Some views I agree with (maybe tighter focus/smaller area) some I don't (rushing gamers into the game rather than having an extended cutscene which lots of games do).

What I can say is without Ryan's input (especially before the kickstarter) Shenmue 3 may well not exist. If he's involved in 4 I'd be interested to see how/what that is.

As I said I've alot of time for him. He's a fan and only wanted the best for the series.

PS I liked MGS4
He made Hideo Kojima make x to confirm and o to cancel. Ruined it for me.

Plus MGS4 just felt like a shitty fan game made to appease people who wanted answers for the sake of having answers. Did we need a 90 minute cutscene of Meryl and Johnny shits getting married?

Anyway, I have respect for Ryan Peyton but really if he had had his way and S3 was just Bailu village it wouldn’t have been a true sequel… more like a demo for a real sequel. But then again it may have been better received, whetted our appetite and a sequel might have been green lit.

I would have loved to have been in the room when Peyton and YS were having their arguments. I wonder if it ever got really heated and almost came to blows?!?!

Well I guess you can say that Peyton was proven right afterall… S3 got a lukewarm reception and didn’t get a sequel at least not for foreseeable future.

If S3 was less ambitious and more focused like Peyton wanted maybe it would have been received like Hellblade and received a proper sequel?

Maybe Peyton should have been more forceful with YS and insisted on full creative control?

YS just can’t help himself and his ideas balloon and balloon until he runs out of money (see the 1/2 assed castle section thrown together last minute.). At Sega YS got bailed out with unlimited funds…. but at YS Net he was forced to make a hard stop with S3 when the money ran out. Perhaps Peyton should have laid down the law and forced YS to scope the project for the meager budget.

Wondering if rather than doing a Shenmue Zero ala Yakuza, we should do a mid series rebrand ala Like a Dragon. Return to Virtua Fighter RPG as an official title will be ourShenmue's... If VF6 actually happens, plus the VF5/VF3 remasters--might have momentum!

Wondering if rather than doing a Shenmue Zero ala Yakuza, we should do a mid series rebrand ala Like a Dragon. Return to Virtua Fighter RPG as an official title will be ourShenmue's... If VF6 actually happens, plus the VF5/VF3 remasters--might have momentum!
Like a Phoenix?

I would have loved to have been in the room when Peyton and YS were having their arguments. I wonder if it ever got really heated and almost came to blows?!?!
There were rumours of some friction existing between them while at S3 development. Apparently - I repeat - allegedly/unconfirmed (couldn't even find the articles mentioning this so, once more, proceed with caution):

- Ryan used glasses back then and whenever Suzuki made a point, Peyton used to pull them up his nose with the middle finger while looking at Yu-san into the eyes. Sometimes he even actually accompanied the gesture with a mocking "riiight..." or a silent "fuck you" that could easily be lip-read by Suzuki (and everyone else in the same room).

- When Ryan was the one making the point, Yu-san projected burps (regurgitating, holding and blowing) to his face more than twice from a short and mid distance range. Also, Suzuki used to call Ryan "fucking mutant".

- The infamous "your head looks like a beach balloon & kick in the nuts" incident.

While all the above may look like going a bit overboard, its a regular healthy relationship between gamedevs inmersed in creative process.

Back