Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

- Ryan used glasses back then and whenever Suzuki made a point, Peyton used to pull them up his nose with the middle finger while looking at Yu-san into the eyes. Sometimes he even actually accompanied the gesture with a mocking "riiight..." or a silent "fuck you" that could easily be lip-read by Suzuki (and everyone else in the same room).

- When Ryan was the one making the point, Yu-san projected burps (regurgitating, holding and blowing) to his face more than twice from a short and mid distance range. Also, Suzuki used to call Ryan "fucking mutant".

- The infamous "your head looks like a beach balloon & kick in the nuts" incident.

While all the above may look like going a bit overboard, its a regular healthy relationship between gamedevs inmersed in creative process.
Oh yes, the infamous "beach ballon nut kick incident."

I heard the incident started after a night of heavy drinking with Yu Suzuki deleting the escrow account which contained all the kickstarter funds just to get Peyton's goat and he responded by pouring Orange Fanta over Suzuki's workstation destroying all the Baisha Village data.

Then Yu Suzuki got angry.

The next morning Suzuki visited Peyton as he was laid up with a groin injury at the sports surgery center, gave him back his deflated beach ballon and admitted that there had been no winners that fateful night.

Still, all in all it was a healthy working relationship and I hope they collaborate again on Shenmue 4.

Last edited:
This is possibly an unpopular opinion, but if we do get Shenmue IV I actually do hope that Yu Suzuki advises / oversees it and lets someone else, with a better grasp of modern game development, to direct it.

I'm not saying I want Shenmue to change or be overtly modernized. I'm saying Suzuki was a legend in his own time and although I love the man and his work, I don't know that he's well-suited for directing a marketable game in the modern industry. I think he would really shine as a co-director.
To add to your unpopular opinion. I wish Kojima worked on the game. I would love some 70 minute cutscenes in my Shenmue.

YS just can’t help himself and his ideas balloon and balloon until he runs out of money (see the 1/2 assed castle section thrown together last minute.). At Sega YS got bailed out with unlimited funds…. but at YS Net he was forced to make a hard stop with S3 when the money ran out. Perhaps Peyton should have laid down the law and forced YS to scope the project for the meager budget.
This was an issue from Shenmue 1 and 2. IIRC Nagoshi was brought on board to basically tell Suzuki to wrap up development of Shenmue because he wouldn't listen to anyone else there.

He kept on adding more and more to the games until Nagoshi basically forced him to hard stop.

This was an issue from Shenmue 1 and 2. IIRC Nagoshi was brought on board to basically tell Suzuki to wrap up development of Shenmue because he wouldn't listen to anyone else there.

He kept on adding more and more to the games until Nagoshi basically forced him to hard stop.
Suzuki said to other executives "my deadline is not overdue unless the yakuza tells me it is" and then they sent Nagoshi.

Suzuki said to other executives "my deadline is not overdue unless the yakuza tells me it is" and then they sent Nagoshi.
At least Yu Suzuki isnt woke.

I’m sure if the fools at Sega green lit Shenmue 4 they would insist that Niao Sun be “uglifed” to be more inclusive. And they would make Ren non-binary. And Lan Di would ask Ryos preferred pronouns before fighting him. Also Shenhua would be a black lesbian.

At least Yu Suzuki is a regular guy genius and Shenmue isn't being made by woke devs these days.

Last edited:
At least Yu Suzuki isnt woke.

I’m sure if the fools at Sega green lit Shenmue 4 they would insist that Niao Sun be “uglifed” to be more inclusive. And they would make Ren non-binary. And Lan Di would ask Ryos preferred pronouns before fighting him. Also Shenhua would be a black lesbian.

At least Yu Suzuki is a regular guy genius and Shenmue isn't being made by woke devs these days.
I see this place like a dinner table, so I don't bring political or religious issues at it. And yes, mostly because it could be sensitive to lots of folks here who happens to have my deepest affection whatever are their views in those matters.

I don't think it's a matter of "what" or "if", but more like "how" the entertainment (and so videogames) deal with such sensible themes.
People don't realize that corporation like Disney are not their "ally" (another terms abused in these situations, like if people were at war with the world), on the contrary they use and abuse these themes simply to make money, so it's the opposite...
And those who decide to deal with such themes usually are also bad writers, so they aren't doing a favor to anyone lol

Disney and others have literally checklists when they have to greenlight a new product, so it's not because they genuinely care or something.

Making fun of the woke is making fun of this silly "method" of doing business, not about the themes.

I don't think it's a matter of "what" or "if", but more like "how" the entertainment (and so videogames) deal with such sensible themes.
People don't realize that corporation like Disney are not their "ally" (another terms abused in these situations, like if people were at war with the world), on the contrary they use and abuse these themes simply to make money, so it's the opposite...
And those who decide to deal with such themes usually are also bad writers, so they aren't doing a favor to anyone lol

Disney and others have literally checklists when they have to greenlight a new product, so it's not because they genuinely care or something.

Making fun of the woke is making fun of this silly "method" of doing business, not about the themes.
But if they make Shenmue 4 for a "mass audience" isn't there a danger of Suzuki being forced to go woke?

The people behind the scenes of movies honestly don’t care for minorities or the lgbtq community btw i live in the states huge shenmue fan btw, but especially companies or corporations like disney don’t care they don’t give a damn who you are if they can squeeze any or a lot of money out of you they will if they really did care look at the biggest & probably greatest or to many the greatest film franchise star wars look they they did to finn a black lead character they advertised him as the next big jedi & he’s black but they purposely fumbled on him, star wars is a perfect example that these people don’t care some of them don’t even give a F about the stories, now they were trying to bring the woke agenda to video games it failed miserably with the last of us 2, the first one was like to 9.5-10 game to ppl, last of us 2 was like a 5.5-6.0 uproar happened sony still made a lot of money but lost good chunk of that money, also EA tried to do this with the battlefield series, it looks like from recent history or previous years it’s failing in the gaming community which i’m very happy for because this has fucked so many movies, i hope to god and i pray that shenmue is never touched by this disaster btw believe or not star wars is actually my favorite franchise of all time 2nd is the dark knight trilogy if you don’t consider that a franchise then 007 james bond. Tbh i don’t think there will be any pressure on shenmue to do this at least not in shenmue 4 maybe when the series ends with V maybe there will be pressure on the ending just maybe but i don’t think so. Btw i’m not trying to spread bigotry to any group of people or minority.

Last edited:
The people behind the scenes of movies honestly don’t care for minorities or the lgbtq community btw i live in the states huge shenmue fan btw, but especially companies or corporations like disney don’t care they don’t give a damn who u are if they can squeeze any or a lot of money out of you they will if they really did care look at the biggest & probably greatest or to many the greatest film franchise star wars look they they did to finn a black lead character they advertised him as the next big jedi & he’s black but they purposely fumbled on him, star wars is a perfect example that these ppl don’t care some of them don’t even give a F about the stories, now they were trying to bring the woke agenda to video games it failed miserably with the last of us 2, the first one was like to 9.5-10 game to ppl, last of us 2 was like a 5.5-6.0 uproar happened sony still made a lot of money but lost good chunk of that money, also EA tried to do this with the battlefield series, it looks like from recent history or previous years it’s failing in the gaming community which i’m very happy for cause this has fucked so many movies, i hope to god and i pray that shenmue is never touched by this disaster btw believe or not star wars is actually my favorite franchise of all time 2nd for is the dark knight trilogy if u don’t consider that a franchise then 007 james bond. Tbh i don’t think there will be any pressure on shenmue to do this at least not in shenmue 4 maybe when the series ends with V maybe there will be pressure on the ending just maybe but i don’t think so. Btw i’m not trying to spread bigotry to any group of people or minority.
Ahmed, Jesus Christ, you need to employ proper punctuation.

Watch the video I have linked below and then please re-write your post so that it's legible. Should your revision meet basic standards of readable English, I shall respond in kind.

Thank you!

Ahmed, Jesus Christ, you need to employ proper punctuation.

Watch the video I have linked below and then please re-write your post so that it's legible. Should your revision meet basic standards of readable English, I shall respond in kind.

Thank you!

F*ck it, I'll do it for you:

Re-write:

I don't believe the people who produce movies actually care about racial minorities or the lgbtq community.

Corporations don't care about any specific group of people, they only care about taking their money. Efforts by Studios to disproportionally cast minorities in films are nothing more than a sanctimonious attempt to ride the woke bandwagon rather than a sincere effort to ameliorate social injustice.

Take a look at Star Wars which is my favorite series of all time. Disney introduced Finn (a black man), as a pivotal character but ultimately had no idea what to do actually do with him. The character Finn was simply a stunt to make money, not a real attempt to integrate African Americans into Star Wars in a meaningful way.

Unfortunately, the woke agenda has infected video games as well. The Last of Us 2 scored significantly less than its predecessor likely due to Naughty Dog's decision to have the dual protagonists be female (one gay and one with a masculine physique) and the antagonist a religious cult that oppress gay people. Sony went woke and went broke with that game.

I am a huge Shenmue fan living in the United States, and from where I stand, I fear that Shenmue could one day become infected with the woke virus as well.

Fortunately, I don't believe that Shenmue itself will succumb to wokeness at least not in Shenmue 4. I am concerned that by the time we get to the finale of the Shenmue (years from now) Yu Suzuki's grand ending might become compromised by woke ideology.

I agree with all of you and the concerns about the "woke" .

Unfortunately, we have bigger problems to worry about at the moment. Like if Shenmue 4 will come out at all for example. :D

I'm dying for some new interview with Yu Suzuki, Cedric or even Ryan to clarify the current situation. :)

@SMDzero Goddamn mate easy off on the trolling, this is a place for shenmue fans to discuss & learn from conversations mostly about shenmue or behind the scenes of gaming this isn’t some discord server where you can throw trolling comments

@SMDzero Goddamn mate easy off on the trolling, this is a place for shenmue fans to discuss & learn from conversations mostly about shenmue or behind the scenes of gaming this isn’t some discord server where you can throw trolling comments
Dude, your post was a block of text 13 lines long and the first 11 lines were one sentence. You have some great points to make but no-one is going to actually comprehend your posts unless you break them down into clear concise sentences.

Back