Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

But if they make Shenmue 4 for a "mass audience" isn't there a danger of Suzuki being forced to go woke?

luckly we are safe for two reasons:

1-Japan is less plagued by the woke political agenda (even if there are some signs)
2-Shenmue will never be a mass product like The Last of Us 2 for example, so it doesn't need mass appeal and all that comes with it...
3-Sega people are probably the last resistence, their games can be considered anti-woke lol, look also at Yakuza that is kinda criticized for being "macho" lol, there are no more games like these.

Even if I suppose with western success now, even Like a Dragon will be plagued by woke in future, and we have already some signs in the last game, but that happens because of the western marketing departments, not in the development studios in Japan.

Last edited:
luckly we are safe for two reasons:

1-Japan is less plagued by the woke political agenda (even if there are some signs)
2-Shenmue will never be a mass product like The Last of Us 2 for example, so it doesn't need mass appeal and all that comes with it...
3-Sega people are probably the last resistence, their games can be considered anti-woke lol, look also at Yakuza that is kinda criticized for being "macho" lol, there are no more games like these.

Even if I suppose with western success now, even Like a Dragon will be plagued by woke in future, and we have already some signs in the last game, but that happens because of the western marketing departments, not in the development studios in Japan.
Yu Suzuki is the last of a dying breed. Bless his heart he probably doesn’t even know that “woke” means.

Hopefully Shenmue stays under his control so that we get a pure Shenmue and not a woke version that appeals to politically correct sensibilities.

Sure corporations dont give a fuck about individual's passions (god forbid you tax them properly in the US, though). Nevertheless, representstion matters to those who feel under appreciated or outright ignored. Showing marginalized or minority etc in mass media makes the ones identifying with them feel cared about and valid. Also, someone on the production obviously cares and gave enough respect to the momentum of equality movements reaching such heights.

Anti woke basically telling on yourself for being ignorant and a bigot. What a ridiculous thread derail begun by the forum's latest annoying troll.

on topic: #LetsGetShenmue4

Sure corporations dont give a fuck about individual's passions (god forbid you tax them properly in the US, though). Nevertheless, representstion matters to those who feel under appreciated or outright ignored. Showing marginalized or minority etc in mass media makes the ones identifying with them feel cared about and valid. Also, someone on the production obviously cares and gave enough respect to the momentum of equality movements reaching such heights.

Anti woke basically telling on yourself for being ignorant and a bigot. What a ridiculous thread derail begun by the forum's latest annoying troll.

Whoa dude, we’re all cool Shenmue fans here don’t start name calling with the B-word.

But I have to ask you, if non-Asian people didn’t feel represented in Shenmue would you be in favor of changing the cast to be multi-racial?

Last edited:
I do wonder what the point of this woke speculation is.
Well god damn there’s nothing else to talk about regarding Shenmue 4.

Yu Suzuki please toss us a bone anything!!!!!!

BTW Shenmue 0 doesn’t count. That was just YS whistling dixie.

I want real Shenmue 4 news good or bad.

Last edited:
Yu Suzuki is the last of a dying breed. Bless his heart he probably doesn’t even know that “woke” means.

Hopefully Shenmue stays under his control so that we get a pure Shenmue and not a woke version that appeals to politically correct sensibilities.

I agree, Shenmue must remain pure, but I also mean I don't want other people on it, only Yu Suzuki can make Shenmue, that's my stance.

If they give me a choice like "you can get Shenmue 4, but YS is not involved", I'd say NO THANKS.

I really don't understand this modern urge to be represented in various modern media, in the past it wasn't like that, anyone was able to enjoy good entertainment products and no one cared about sex, religion, ethnicity etc.

For example do you need to be a japanese teenager to feel like Ryo Hazuki?
Do you need to be an English noblewoman to be Lara Croft and going to adventure?

I don't think so.
So why it should be different now?

Last edited:
Last warning people. Move away from the 'woke' discussion. We're here to discuss games.

Last warning people. Move away from the 'woke' discussion. We're here to discuss games.

If YS gave us anything concrete on S4 that would go a long way towards re-energizing this thread.

What does YS expect us to do half a decade after Shenmue 3? Just twiddle our thumbs and whistle?

If YS gave us anything concrete on S4 that would go a long way towards re-energizing this thread.

What does YS expect us to do half a decade after Shenmue 3? Just twiddle our thumbs and whistle?
So that's an excuse to troll is it?

24 Hour Ban for Ignoring Original Request and Attitude when Asked Again.
So that's an excuse to troll is it?
I'm not trolling... just random conversation.

I'm just saying there's no way that Niao Sun would be allowed in many video games today.

That's one example of many thing about Shenmue that people would find "problematic" today.

But okay I will not talk about it... we will not discuss woke starting NOW.

I'm not trolling... just random conversation.

I'm just saying there's no way that Niao Sun would be allowed in many video games today.

That's one example of many thing about Shenmue that people would find "problematic" today.

But okay I will not talk about it... we will not discuss woke starting NOW.
Nah I'm not having that attitude when you were warned previously.

Have a 24 hr cooling off period.

My close friends have mentioned that the Shenmue franchise should be rebooted from scratch before a Shenmue 4 is considered. Their reasoning is that it would have mass appeal for today's audience of computer gamers.

They don't post on message boards, so I thought I relay their opinions on Shenmue 4 to keep this thread going.

Back