Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Exaclty, AFTER the story is concluded, e reboot will even be welcomed (more Shenmue is always better :D even if they will try more commercial and simplified routes ).

But for the original regular series, NO WAY, Shenmue must remain Shenmue aven at the cost of being unpopular.
If they want to go backwards a little, than make Shenmue Zero, but after Shenmue 4 and 5.

2015 Yakuza 0
2016 Yakuza Kiwami
2016 Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
2017 Yakuza Kiwami 2

Yakuza 6 was made between remakes. New games and remakes didn't get in the way. They don't necessarily need to make a Shenmue remakes and then make a Shenmue 4. If someone is going to remake the old ones, YSNET should be working on Shenmue 4 at the same time. Anything else is a bad move.

Remakes if done right will definitely bring in new fans & up the sales of 4&5 but if it takes away from the budget of 4&5 i don’t want them. I remember after the recent tweet from cedric some people were talking about on the dojo how shenmue 4 might have like alan wake 2 situation i’m sure there was more games mentioned but like a situation where the only way that game was made available was through deals like a company deal that is like dual it helps both at the same time & that gave other games that would’ve not happened a way & availability i think 🤔 this is possible but it looks like that is a good couple of years away if you guys think is is possible when do you think this will be announced or released (shenmue 4) of course the best option is for fucking sega to do it

The problem with a remake is the inherent risk attached to it. Over on our discord there's a definite split over the idea and while it could certainly be a shot in the arm for the series if done well and successful it could be a nail in the coffin too.

I can't see SEGA or a publisher wanting to go down that road unless it's financially viable and the scope of the first two games alone is sizeable even with the advances in tech these days. But it could work and open up a whole new audience but would you lose the essence of Shenmue?

I'd back a remake if one was announced with everything I had but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't concerning. Same with the Shenmue 0 idea YS talked about.

My overall feeling is they need to get it done, finish it with Shenmue 4 and then remake perhaps.

There's no point in a remake in my opinion, because arguments and splits will form within the fanbase over exactly what improvements are necessary and how they should be achieved. If it's one of those remakes which plays identically to the original and is almost 1:1, but with much prettier graphics, then what's the point?

On a personal level, I would love them to be remade for a bunch of changes/improvements to be made. I'd love Shenmue 1 and 2 to be streamlined as one game if that was an option, but I'd also love for new scenes and for changes to be made, in a similar way to how the anime handled it. I'd love for aspects of the gameplay to be modernised and changed. I would love, for example, for more puzzles to be added. I wouldn't even complain if the fighting system was radically changed, as long as it's good.

I'd even be intrigued if they went the FFVII Remake route and just drastically changed loads of stuff.

But I know a lot of people are very protective about Shenmue and would be very against messing with it.

The risk with all these side projects like Shenmue 0 and remakes is that they mess them up and produce bad games, and they bomb. Or maybe they actually produce decent games and they still bomb. And either way, it is then used as justification for not supporting a Shenmue 4.

I think there is a place for Shenmue, but in its present presentation it just isn't very marketable and that a remake or reboot could fix that, but it does come with ginormous risks.

The main problem here is to conclude the series with 4 and 5, with games that are actual Shenmue games, and not something different like Yakuza, Detroit, GTA or whatever.

After that we can make all the experiments that YS and Sega wants: Shenmue 0, Remakes,side stories, streamline the gameplay etc.

If we found a great publisher (or if Sega acts like the old Sega) with the kind of effort of the Yakuza series, it wouldn't be a problem to have every year something like

Shenmue 0
Shenmue 4
Shenmue 5 the final chapter
Shenmue Judgment (with Ren detective agency lol)
Shenmue Vs Like a Dragon
Shenmue Forklift Racing

etc.

The problem with a reboot is that puts a huge amount of pressure on the success of the reboot. If Shenmue 4 is made and fails the reboot is always an option. If they make a reboot now and it fails the series is dead dead.

exactly
A reboot is always used to relaunch a series, that's the only purpose. When a reboot fails, the series is really dead (look at Mirror's edge catalyst :( ).

The series isn't dead. It only becomes dead if the fanbase stops creating content, videos, artwork etc.

I fully believe there's a way forward that can meet a creative vision at the right budget. The question is whether that is satisfactory to YS himself.

series is fine for now, the last piece of content was Shenmue Animation in 2022, that was even a success even among non-fans.

Of course we cannot wait forever and we don't have the luxury to have another 10-18 years hiatus.

So probably it's time to spam various companies and Sega, because the time is now, if we miss this time frame, then the series will be dead for real.

series is fine for now, the last piece of content was Shenmue Animation in 2022, that was even a success even among non-fans.

Of course we cannot wait forever and we don't have the luxury to have another 10-18 years hiatus.

So probably it's time to spam various companies and Sega, because the time is now, if we miss this time frame, then the series will be dead for real.
And this is what I keep saying. If the community stops hounding, making content etc we're done.

Its the hardest of hard yards now.

The series isn't dead. It only becomes dead if the fanbase stops creating content, videos, artwork etc.

Depends on your definition of dead.

As far as we are aware:

No future Shenmue games are planned
Shenmue 4 is not in production
YS Net do not have a publisher
Sega has no interest in producing any new Shenmue games

To me, that makes it pretty dead.

I am not saying it can't be revived or that there isn't any chance of Shenmue IV happening, but right it feels kinda dead. Whether that will traspire to just be a hibernation, who knows?

Depends on your definition of dead.

As far as we are aware:

No future Shenmue games are planned
Shenmue 4 is not in production
YS Net do not have a publisher
Sega has no interest in producing any new Shenmue games

To me, that makes it pretty dead.

I am not saying it can't be revived or that there isn't any chance of Shenmue IV happening, but right it feels kinda dead. Whether that will traspire to just be a hibernation, who knows?
Dead means there's no community, no content, nothing.

By that very definition VF would have been considered dead after 5 final showdown and was fine in the end.

The series only dies if the community lets it.

By that very definition VF would have been considered dead after 5 final showdown and was fine in the end.

The fans need to take drastic measures to ensure Shenmue’s survival.

Let’s be honest the only reason S3 got announced it because of the Kickstarter fad in the mid 2010s. So we got another Banjo Kazooie collectathon, a Metroidvania, and Shenmue 3….pure luck.

So to actually get a real announcement for Shenmue 4…. we have to think big.

Can we organize a large scale civil disobedience that will force Segas hand?

Something like "the whole gaming world will boycott the next persona, sonic, yakuza and total war until shenmue 4 is announced" ?

It would probably work :ROFLMAO: the problem is to convince those internet punks lol

YS still clearly wants to continue the series too, based on the latest interview with IGN a few months back. I’d hope that means he doesn’t think the franchise is dead either.

Dead/dormant/hibernating/snoozing/dossing… Who can say for certain.

If it's any help we are working on something not sure if it classifies as big but lets see the reaction to it.

Remember back in the day the Shenmue Community emailed capsules to SEGA - spammed their social media with Shenmue - collages - videos and more.

Any suggestions welcome - maybe not public disorder just yet!

If it's any help we are working on something not sure if it classifies as big but lets see the reaction to it.

Remember back in the day the Shenmue Community emailed capsules to SEGA - spammed their social media with Shenmue - collages - videos and more.

Any suggestions welcome - maybe not public disorder just yet!
I think we need to do something dramatic.

Something that will make international headlines.

Perhaps we form human chains across all major interstate highways in the United States crippling national commerce?

We can all allow ourselves to be arrested and jailed and as soon as we get out we do it again until we get Shenmue. As we are handcuffed and led to jail we can give impassioned speeches to the press regarding Shenmue.

There’s also this bloke called Pro-life Spider-Man who climbs skyscrapers for his cause… if anyone here is able/willing to climb skyscrapers for Shenmue it would make international news!

Last edited:
H1DsxXG.jpeg

Back