Virtua Fighter Engine

I swear I saw Akira do the body check as well, is that in his move list?

Yup, it's one of Akira signature move.

Also I'd love the return of VF engine in Shenmue 4.
The battle system is the only real issue in Shenmue 3 IMO, even if itì still enjoyable with all its limits.

But Shenmue 1 and 2 had the best battle system of any non-fighting games.

Shenmue III pretty much completed Ryo's acquisition of Akira's signature moves, I believe (both of the SIII techniques are part of Akira's moveset, along with the elbows, double palm strike, dakai, renkantai, and some grabs that didn't make it into III). Now he just has to put the Dakai, shoulder check, and double palm strike together for Akira's signature combo.

For reference:
rimon chouchu into double palm

tetsuzankou

youshi senrin

renkantai

dakai

signature combo (hougeki unshin soukoshou)

I imagine if Shenmue IV happens it’ll have a tweaked, hopefully for the better, version of whatever we saw in Shenmue III. I can’t imagine them redesigning the fighting engine again.

Shenmue IV with Virtua Fighter V’s fighting engine would get me so thrilled! Even an updated and refined version of Shenmue’s original combat system would satisfy me, though I am aware that’s never going to happen.

It’s reasonable to believe Suzuki-san will focus on what was made for Shenmue III and improve upon it, taking into account most of the shortcomings (implementing throws, counters, moves that were left out, better animations and so on), and that would be good enough for me.

Just please don’t forget to bring back Demon Triangle, Machine Gun Fist, Swallow Dive, Swallow Flip, Shadow Step, Shadow Blade, Cross Charge… you know… the moves that were supposed to be invaluable and could have been used to get out of a tough situation, but that Ryo had mysteriously forgotten about in Shenmue III.

Shenmue IV with Virtua Fighter V’s fighting engine would get me so thrilled! Even an updated and refined version of Shenmue’s original combat system would satisfy me, though I am aware that’s never going to happen.

It’s reasonable to believe Suzuki-san will focus on what was made for Shenmue III and improve upon it, taking into account most of the shortcomings (implementing throws, counters, moves that were left out, better animations and so on), and that would be good enough for me.

Just please don’t forget to bring back Demon Triangle, Machine Gun Fist, Swallow Dive, Swallow Flip, Shadow Step, Shadow Blade, Cross Charge… you know… the moves that were supposed to be invaluable and could have been used to get out of a tough situation, but that Ryo had mysteriously forgotten about in Shenmue III.
If the animations are tweaked and throws are implemented, there'll be little wrong with the current engine. It's hardly beyond saving. It'll hardly be Virtua Fighter 5, but keep in mind we're talking about an action RPG. Now, if Ys Net takes any interest in releasing a Shenmue fighting game I'd hope they really work on revamping the fighting engine...

Last edited:
If the animations are tweaked and throws are implemented, there'll be little wrong with the current engine. It's hardly beyond saving. It'll hardly be Virtua Fighter 5, but keep in mind we're talking about an action RPG. Now, if Ys Net takes any interest in releasing a Shenmue fighting game I'd hope they really work on revamping the fighting engine...
If they had Sonic Fighters, why not Shenmue Fighters?

Master Chen's move at 2:34

Akira really is a beast. High level Akira players are a thing of beauty to watch.

As for the VF engine? I think you have to kiss it goodbye and come to terms with the fact that it's most likely never coming back for Shenmue. If SEGA can't even get off their asses to make VF6 a thing, then what makes anyone think Shenmue IV (if it happens in this crazy current climate) will have the VF engine?

IF we even get to Shenmue IV, I think you'll get a refinement on what exists in Shenmue III.

You're not getting VF's engine back and it'd be a colossal waste of time and money.

It'd require a lot of reworking on the engine to implement stuff for an open world adventure title. It'd require to get the whole team to learn how the engine works and such when less time would be required to just rework the battle system of Shenmue III.
Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur VI, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Guilty Gear, all those fighting games are using the same engine as Shenmue III.

Heres a question - would you of taken a VF engine (or a facsimile - like a version of something like VF2/3) but no multiple enemies just basic 1 v 1 (obviously enemies could go one after the other).

It should of been straightforward enough with the amount of people they had to make a retro VF fighter in Unreal.

Heres a question - would you of taken a VF engine (or a facsimile - like a version of something like VF2/3) but no multiple enemies just basic 1 v 1 (obviously enemies could go one after the other).

It should of been straightforward enough with the amount of people they had to make a retro VF fighter in Unreal.

I would be fine with that. However after seeing what the likes of Kenjito Master can do with the combat system, the multiple enemy approach really isn't a problem.

Back