Better than Shenmue 1&2: Your thoughts?

@spud1897 Yu Suzuki said in Shenmue 4, instead of open areas there will be small closed off areas . Suzuki said the pace of progressing through the story will be 1.5 times faster. (This would be jarring, the pace of the game was perfect for anyone actually paying attention to the game and not spending 50% of the time on Instagram or on the phone). He said Shenmue III was more for the fans, but now he wants to try something new . All of this was in the IGN Japan interview. How much of this sounds like a traditional Shenmue game?
What's wrong with smaller open areas with less space to explore if they're densely populated/have lots of things to look at. From reading that interview, and I've read it lots, is that's what he's going for.

If they want to make it easier for certain gamers to progress the story that's fine but if the option to do the Shenmue stuff like side-quests, mini-games is there, what's the issue? That's a Shenmue game. I can hammer through Shenmue 2 in around 10 hours if I just do solely story.

Most of what he wants to do sounds like an evolution of the Shenmue formula, improvements where needed and that's great. Give the man a chance, you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Yu Suzuki is discussing retooling a game that didn't do particularly well sales-wise or with critics. Why would he strive to make the same game, when he sees obvious areas for improvement? I don't at all think he didn't work hard or that the team didn't do their best, but I do trust YS to see what needs to be done and I appreciate that he isn't so ego-driven that he isn't open to feedback.

I think it's great you think Shenmue 3 is the best game in the series, but I think you're being as disrespectful as the 'critics' 'round here when you attempt to diminish what Yu Suzuki said in this latest interview, especially since you are mocking things that barely rise above basic features in any other modern game. You sort of just sound like a snob.

Yu Suzuki is discussing retooling a game that didn't do particularly well sales-wise or with critics. Why would he strive to make the same game, when he sees obvious areas for improvement?
The thing that's so crazy about this is that Shenmue 2 made massive quality of life improvements already. You had the UI redone with a button layout, maps with the ability to put down markers, NPCs who would guide you straight to destinations, the wait feature that let you bypass time (and single-handedly fixed the most common complaint with S1), and a much quicker pace with more story, characters, and locations. And that's the one everybody loves!

If Shenmue's first sequel brought that many changes, why would we expect anything less from it's fourth installment?

I bet you he loved seeing these reviews, quite honestly. He's a perfectionist and now he's got a whole list of ideas to consider. I think he is at his best when he needs to refocus on one of his games and make an even better sequel. Seems like his track record proves that.

Last edited:
Bailu is the best section of Shenmue III for me.
No doubt about it.

I felt like Bailu was the Shenmue 1 of SIII, and Niaowu the Shenmue 2. They did great with Bailu, same or better than Yokosuka, but they didn't reach that with Naiowu/Hong Kong

Consistent Inflammatory Posts and Lack of Regard for Other Users. 24 hour ban issued
User banned for 24 hours. Previously inflammatory posts and then this. See previous user history to note they've had several warnings about this. PM a mod for further details

This has to be a troll topic. What's being said doesn't add up.

I take my hats off and congratulate Suzuki for improving Shenmue and making a decent game. It is not as bad as critics or fans would say
Ok, first of all, to say S3 is better than the other 2 games, and then go on to say S3 is a "decent game" and "not as bad as the critics say".... Well, is S3 a good/great game, or is it just better than S1 and S2, which you think are awful games?

If I thought a game was the best of a series, unless the previous installments are straight up bad, "decent" isn't a compliment at all. Decent is satisfactory.

Gameplay wise 3 triumphs the ambitious originals that is not even a question, the game is more modern, better looking and there is more side activity to do (working is actually fun now) and there is now challenging combat. I don't even mind the stamina system too much. Because the gameplay is better and there is more replayability I consider Shenmue 1&2 inferior to Shenmue 3.
What is "gameplay"? The gameplay in S3 is just walking/running around, talking to people, gambling, one button press minigames, and then the combat system. If we look at the investigative aspects of all 3 games, S1 and S2 excelled over S3 because they had story development and mystery to unravel. S3 doesn't have that. S3 doesn't even have any interesting dialogue with the majority of residents like the first 2 games did.

The only real aspects that are more "modern" are the controls for moving Ryo. Yes, the controls are definitely superior by today's standards.

Better looking doesn't make it a better game. The side activities are just filler and uninteresting for the most part.

People have been replaying S1 and S2 for 20 years. I doubt anyone will be replaying S3 in 20 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Small close areas sounds Yokosuka or Bailu to me.

I'd loved that. Actually I'd love SIII were only in Bailu.
No, remember when you first get to Bailu village square, and you can't leave until the plot suggest you go to Panda Market? THAT'S what reviewers were complaining about, so THAT is how small each section will be: as small as village square in Bailu. Read the Yu Suzuki interview.

Last edited:
No, remember when you first get to Bailu village square, and you can't leave until the plot suggest you go to Panda Market? THAT'S what reviewers were complaining about
Ummm... Yes? Did the reviewers complain when you were walking in Yokosuka until the plot suggest you to go to the harbor to find a job too?

@spud1897 Im sorry, this is getting to be like a game of "telephone". I said according to Gamingbolt coverage of IGN Japan's Yu Suzuki interview, was planning on making Shenmue 4 a collection of small enclosed areas instead of open world. In no way was I implying that Bailu Village, a clearly open world area, was too small and If such an area was in Shenmue 4, it would be a travesty. More in line of what Gaming bolt was implying, we would get multiple small areas the size if Panda market rather than one open world Bailu Village. My reaction to this is complete rejection: because what was presented on Gaming Bolt sounds more like Resident Evil 1 and 2 (1995-1997)than Shenmue. Here is the actual statement from Yu Suzuki, he is actually just playing with the idea than it being a definite change:Screenshot_2020-05-13-18-24-49.png

Last edited:
Ummm... Yes? Did the reviewers complain when you were walking in Yokosuka until the plot suggest you to go to the harbor to find a job too?
To answer your question, yes they did complain. I remember most mainstream reviewers only gave Shenmue 1 a 7 out of 10. And don't compare apples to oranges there is a HUGE difference bettween leaving Yokosuka to the harbor to being stuck in Sakuragaoka potentially for 30 minutes to an hour until you talk to person X. The reviewers and casual gamers problem is not talking to" person X" , its invisible walls and not being able to fully explore the entire open world map immediately. Get it? Ok. This is all theoretical at this point and we don't know if Suzuki will gate-off every area.

Honestly I thought that too, but I give the benefit of the doubt because English isn't everyone's first language. I would agree that most of the time what is implied by saying S3 is the best of the series is that you likely don't hold the series in very high regard.

More in line of what Gaming bolt was implying, we would get multiple small areas the size if Panda market rather than one open world Bailu Village.
On what planet is Bailu Village an "open world" in the modern sense? It's basically a pretty standard RPG town that has existed in games for decades. What's the issue with multiple areas the size of Panda market? There isn't some magic quota of size that makes something a Shenmue game, as long as there's enough gameplay/story to fill the area, then it's big enough.

The reviewers and casual gamers problem is not talking to" person X" , its invisible walls and not being able to fully explore the entire open world map immediately. Get it? Ok.
I know that honey, I got it, that's why I asked if they complained about the invisible wall in Shenmue 1. They said the same with S2 because you can't go to Guiling I suppose right? This is not Skyrim or RDR2 in terms of open worlds. Never was, and I think never will be.

I'm still saying imo I'd like Yokosuka/Bailu sizes instead of HK/Niaowu. It's alright if somebody thinks the opposite. But don't say reviewers hates invisible wall when they always've been there actually

Last edited:
I know that honey, I got it, that's why I asked if they complained about the invisible wall in Shenmue 1. They said the same with S2 because you can't go to Guiling I suppose right? This is not Skyrim or RDR2 in terms of open worlds. Never was, and I think never will be.

I'm still saying imo I'd like Yokosuka/Bailu sizes instead of HK/Niaowu. It's alright if somebody thinks the opposite. But don't say streamers hates invisible wall when they always've been there actually
I will say what ever I feel like saying especially when it's the truth. If you actually read the Gamespot review of Shenmue 3, thats exactly what Heidi "Zero Chan" Kemps was complaining about: the invisible walls and the closed off sections that take hours to open op. Yes the invisible walls were there 18 years ago. No DUH, and reviewers like Game Informer hated it then. In fact universal walls have always been held in contempt by reviewers. You don't have to give me a history lesson, I still have my original 1998 Dreamcast , copies of Shenmue 1 and 2 and all my VMUs.

The fact that reviewers hate the invisible walls in Shenmue 3 is because they were there 18 years ago , and Suzuki felt no compulsion to update that design choice for 2019.

Last edited:
First of all, Idk why you are taking so serious the opinion of a press reviewer. The only thing that ""matters"" it's the score, and you can give them the most open world to them, and they would score it the same way they want. If they are fans, they will probably give it a 7-10. If they're not, 1-6.

Second, oh no, Gamespot hated the fact that plot triggered, I won't sleep tonight... President Trump should do something about it... Is Gamespot those people who gave Death Stranding a 9? A 7 to AC Unity and 8 to Watch dogs (both completely broken)? Yeah right, I think I can deal with that.

Ok, first of all, to say S3 is better than the other 2 games, and then go on to say S3 is a "decent game" and "not as bad as the critics say".... Well, is S3 a good/great game, or is it just better than S1 and S2, which you think are awful games?

If I thought a game was the best of a series, unless the previous installments are straight up bad, "decent" isn't a compliment at all. Decent is satisfactory.

What is "gameplay"? The gameplay in S3 is just walking/running around, talking to people, gambling, one button press minigames, and then the combat system. If we look at the investigative aspects of all 3 games, S1 and S2 excelled over S3 because they had story development and mystery to unravel. S3 doesn't have that. S3 doesn't even have any interesting dialogue with the majority of residents like the first 2 games did.

The only real aspects that are more "modern" are the controls for moving Ryo. Yes, the controls are definitely superior by today's standards.

Better looking doesn't make it a better game. The side activities are just filler and uninteresting for the most part.

People have been replaying S1 and S2 for 20 years. I doubt anyone will be replaying S3 in 20 years.
You've had your chance to complain. This is boardering on your ridiculous "anyone who likes Shenmue III is deluded comment".

People who like the game can and will express it just like anyone who dislikes it.

Given your past post history this is your first ban 24 hours. Any more inflammatory comments like this (which is a shame as comments had started to have some logical sense) and your going to continue through the ban process.

While this may seem slightly aggressive I would urge users to look at the past post history. The user has had fair warning here. Please PM me for any clarity.

Last edited:
@spud1897 Im sorry, this is getting to be like a game of "telephone". I said according to Gamingbolt coverage of IGN Japan's Yu Suzuki interview, was planning on making Shenmue 4 a collection of small enclosed areas instead of open world. In no way was I implying that Bailu Village, a clearly open world area, was too small and If such an area was in Shenmue 4, it would be a travesty. More in line of what Gaming bolt was implying, we would get multiple small areas the size if Panda market rather than one open world Bailu Village. My reaction to this is complete rejection: because what was presented on Gaming Bolt sounds more like Resident Evil 1 and 2 (1995-1997)than Shenmue. Here is the actual statement from Yu Suzuki, he is actually just playing with the idea than it being a definite change:View attachment 7846
Yes so you've just disproven your own worries. Worst case it's the size of Shenmue 1 and theres nothing wrong with that. Hell I'd welcome it.

Also things have to evolve. I loved a fully open world Shenmue III but we have to be realistic here. Shenmue 4 needs to push the story on as there's only 2 games left. Budget might be an issue so I'd rather the basis of 3 is taken and improved upon to give us that focus.

IGN Japan did the interview so I'd trust them over GamingBolt

Last edited:
Back