110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll believe it when I see it. Same feeling I had towards Shenmue III for all those years.

BTW, I feel so out of the loop here. I've never heard of 110 Industries before. Do they actually have the capital to invest a decent amount into it?

Do game companies regularly spoil big announcements by liking tweets?
It depends. It’s not uncommon for publishers and developers to stoke the fire a little, particularly if there’s any substance to the rumors and an announcement is going to be made soon. Had they stopped after the first few tweets (no comment / we love Yu-san), I’d have assumed that this is what they were doing, but now I’m not so sure.

Part of me feels like they’re just riding the wave of free publicity to promote Wanted: Dead (I noticed a flurry of posts and videos about the game being posted not long after the story blew up). The thing is though, I don’t think that this could have been their plan all along, as there’s no way that they could have known that a gaming publication would pick up on their obscure and cryptic Instagram comments.

I suspect that the reality is somewhere in the middle, ie, Yu is working as a consultant or executive producer on one of their upcoming titles or, at a push, Yu is at the helm of a brand-new IP for which they’re footing the bill. That said, anything is possible and if the possibility of financing Shenmue 4 hadn’t already been discussed by the higher-ups at 110 prior to this, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be soon.They’ve gotten more attention in the past 24 hours for a game that they’re probably not even publishing than Wanted: Dead has gotten since being announced more than half a year ago. It’s a shame really, as it actually looks kind of cool.

The way news cycles work, we should get a clearer idea of what’s going on soon. If there’s any substance to the rumors and 110 leaked the story to drum up hype for a potential announcement, they’ll try to keep the story alive for as long as possible by posting something else (if it were me, I’d go with an obscured picture of Yu or something that could be connected to the Shenmue series). If there’s no substance to the rumors, the story will die (which, in the grand scheme of things, it’s now on the verge of doing) and everyone will get on with their lives.

I suppose there’s also the possibility of a slow burn approach (maybe they wanted to announce at the end of the anime or something and so will need to drag this out until then), but I kind of feel as though they pulled the trigger a little too early for that to be the case.

I'll believe it when I see it. Same feeling I had towards Shenmue III for all those years.

BTW, I feel so out of the loop here. I've never heard of 110 Industries before. Do they actually have the capital to invest a decent amount into it?
According to some they were able to raise a lot of money from Russian oligarch Abramovich’s company. See below-

wonder where 110 industries will be getting their funding from now that more and more russian oligarchs/companies are getting sanctioned
https://tadviser.com/index.php/Company:110_Industries
this is a good article, apparently they have 8 (!) games in development
30 million in funding mainly came from abramovich's company, an international investment company with offices in moscow/zurich and a russian company.
founders are russian.

What that means going forward who knows…

Shenmue 4 russian dub

MV5BNmM5MzA3YTMtZDZkNy00YzNlLWFkZTUtZDJhYTNkMzk1ODNlL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzND...jpg

Shenmue IV: Mission to Moscow. The rules have all changed and Ryo, Ren and Shenhua are now on their way to Moscow.

I suppose there’s also the possibility of a slow burn approach (maybe they wanted to announce at the end of the anime or something and so will need to drag this out until then), but I kind of feel as though they pulled the trigger a little too early for that to be the case.
The Yokosuka event for the anime with Yu is this month, isn't it? 🤔

As for the rumour itself, anything is possible. I would have put money on their collaboration being a new IP, but the Shenmue teases have gone a bit beyond the usual nudge-nudge-wink-wink. As you said - if they weren't already discussing this... they just might be now.

The brand clearly still carries a lot of weight, but could they commit based purely on helping promote their stable of other games? Maybe, as funky of a strategy it is. Guess Shenmue could be considered the high tide that raises all boats.

The brand clearly still carries a lot of weight, but could they commit based purely on helping promote their stable of other games? Maybe, as funky of a strategy it is. Guess Shenmue could be considered the high tide that raises all boats.
Given their background as venture capitalists and their impressive ability to raise millions of dollars in financing, I dare say they could. They clearly have the ambition too. That said, it’s not like them funding a fourth Shenmue game is the equivalent of them throwing money down the drain. It’s potentially a great opportunity.

By hook or by crook, Deep Silver and Embracer were able to come out of Shenmue 3 without making a loss and there were a lot of things wrong with that game. Looking at the response to these rumors, there are an awful lot of people willing Shenmue to succeed, so I’m positive that a good Shenmue game could turn a profit with the right marketing. All it needs is for somebody to truly believe in the project and the man behind it.

Shenmue 3 aside, Yu has an incredible track record when it comes to making high quality and groundbreaking games. He’s exactly the kind of person that a company like 110 or, dare I say it, Tencent should be looking to bring on board. I genuinely believe that it’s only a matter time before they (or some other big Chinese company) do. Of course, that’s assuming they haven’t already! 😉

Given their background as venture capitalists and their impressive ability to raise millions of dollars in financing, I dare say they could. They clearly have the ambition too. That said, it’s not like them funding a fourth Shenmue game is the equivalent of them throwing money down the drain. It’s potentially a great opportunity.

By hook or by crook, Deep Silver and Embracer were able to come out of Shenmue 3 without making a loss and there were a lot of things wrong with that game. Looking at the response to these rumors, there are an awful lot of people willing Shenmue to succeed, so I’m positive that a good Shenmue game could turn a profit with the right marketing. All it needs is for somebody to truly believe in the project and the man behind it.

Shenmue 3 aside, Yu has an incredible track record when it comes to making high quality and groundbreaking games. He’s exactly the kind of person that a company like 110 or, dare I say it, Tencent should be looking to bring on board. I genuinely believe that it’s only a matter time before they (or some other big Chinese company) do. Of course, that’s assuming they haven’t already! 😉
I also think that one critical point will be have Sega on it o a similar level of what they did for Streets of Rage 4 at least, somo kind of heavy endorsment. Sega has not been very supportive with 3 until recent months, so let's hope.

I also think that one critical point will be have Sega on it o a similar level of what they did for Streets of Rage 4 at least, somo kind of heavy endorsment. Sega has not been very supportive with 3 until recent months, so let's hope.
Yeah. I think the biggest thing holding Shenmue 3 back wasn’t necessarily a lack of funds, but instead a lack of experience. Being able to ask Sega / RGG or Epic games for help (or, better still, having a few people from those studios working directly on the project) would have made a massive difference to the final game.

I also wonder whether Yu might need somebody looking over his shoulder to reign in his ambitions a little at times, though, having said that, one suspects that there’s a very fine line between keeping him on schedule and on budget and shackling his creativity.

I think if they are doing Shenmue 4, we have to promote this project even more than Shenmue 3.
Did you ever hear anything about the like three announced 110 Industries games?
Even if they are able to raise something like 10, 12, 15 mil USD
(which would be already less than Yu wanted from Deep Silver maybe?)
I think there is probably nothing left for marketing stuff. Yeah okay, some IGN trailer, sure.
But you know, Deep Silver / Koch Media / THQ Nordic can easily contact pretty much everyone they want.
Koch Media / THQ Nordic have their own Gamescom stuff, they can arrange things like these play sessions at events,
big banners, official published interviews, the stuff where they went to Japan to accompany Suzuki,
autograph sessions ...
I kind of doubt that 110 Industries can do anything of that.
So if you think that the Shenmue 3 marketing was already too small with the Sony reveal,
the Playstation trailers, the exclusive magazine reports, big interviews, Gamescom events and so on,
its possible that its going to be way more quiet if 110 Industries makes Shenmue 4 without any help.
I doubt that they have any of the ressources.

It was alluded to in another thread that Deep Silver felt Yu was asking for far too much for Shenmue 4 and that it was felt most Publishers would not be willing to fund it. Would this not be an issue for such a small and seemingly unknown publisher like 110 Industries?

Yeah. I think the biggest thing holding Shenmue 3 back wasn’t necessarily a lack of funds, but instead a lack of experience. Being able to ask Sega / RGG or Epic games for help (or, better still, having a few people from those studios working directly on the project) would have made a massive difference to the final game.

I also wonder whether Yu might need somebody looking over his shoulder to reign in his ambitions a little at times, though, having said that, one suspects that there’s a very fine line between keeping him on schedule and on budget and shackling his creativity.
Balance budget and creativity is very complex, indeed. Also one thing I remenber this week when the new Monkey Island was announced, is that even when a title is attached to oen creator, like Ron Gilbert or Yu Suzuki, you need the rest of the key people there because no videogame is a one person product. And sometimes we forgot that Shenmue was the most Sega game ever made. But yes, I hope he can get some assistant from Sega :)

It was alluded to in another thread that Deep Silver felt Yu was asking for far too much for Shenmue 4 and that it was felt most Publishers would not be willing to fund it. Would this not be an issue for such a small and seemingly unknown publisher like 110 Industries?
Having done a little digging into the company and its founders, I have very few doubts that they could secure the funding needed to make a fourth Shenmue game if they really wanted to. They certainly talk a good game too. An ambitious and relatively unheard of company is exactly the kind that could end up taking the plunge with Shenmue 4. I’m not saying that they will, but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit and shouldn’t be ruled out until we hear otherwise.

As for the exact amount being asked for, who’s to say that Yu didn’t lower his demands or get talked down after initial discussions with potential publishers had taken place? If it was a case of taking say $10m or nothing, he may well have decided that a low budget S4 was better than no S4 at all. Also, what’s deemed to be ‘too much’ by a company with a heavy aversion to risk and a cold calculated approach to business may not be seen as too much by a company with confidence and a point to prove.

Balance budget and creativity is very complex, indeed. Also one thing I remenber this week when the new Monkey Island was announced, is that even when a title is attached to oen creator, like Ron Gilbert or Yu Suzuki, you need the rest of the key people there because no videogame is a one person product. And sometimes we forgot that Shenmue was the most Sega game ever made. But yes, I hope he can get some assistant from Sega :)

Exactly. Yu was at the top of his game when he made the first two Shenmue games and had some of the most talented people in the industry working beneath him. AM2 was a well-oiled machine! By contrast, he was presumably quite rusty for Shenmue 3 and his YSNet were fairly inexperienced by comparison to AM2. Under the circumstances I think they did a pretty good job, but there’s no doubt in my mind that a stronger team would have led to a stronger game even if the budget had been lower.

Well, we know the engine is already in place from Shenmue III and is fully capable of further improvements and refining.

Unreal Engine V is also out, seemingly easy to use and could be a real game changer. I still remember how awestruck I was by Shenmue on the Dreamcast. They could do a lot here.

It is incredibly odd for a company to outright tease on anything and everything Shenmue IV with nothing cooking internally. I know people say it's free PR but I wouldn't think that would be something most companies would do, especially one with a fervent base like Shenmue..easy to get burned.

Thanks, great points @tomboz

I can't help feeling these subtle teases are way too on the nose for their not to be some truth or substance to them, but I also hope it's not just 110 Industries having a bit of fun and enjoying the attention.

Last edited:
They even liked posts saying “this would be brutal if it was anything other than Shenmue IV”.

I’m of the opinion that this is either truly happening or their social media person is in for an eventual very rude awakening lol

Lol having worked in a company where a social media person was essentially an intern that got in a bit of trouble for some of the content they posted (nothing too big of a deal, just outside the company's fairly stringent guidelines), I think it's a possibility the same has happened here (but probably not).

they would’ve been silenced by now

here’s what their first title currently looks like.

I believe it’s ex team ninja or even Itagaki behind development?

Last edited:
They are people from the original Ninja Gaiden 2 (Yoshifuru Okamoto and Hiroaki Matsui IIRC), plus some others but no Itagaki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back