110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer Shenmue IV to end the series, I don't think there is any need to guilt shame and suggest they're disrespecting Yu Suzuki for having their own personal opinion.

I think it's at a good place to set up a conclusion with the characters reaching the cliff temple where the treasure scroll leads. We're all Shenmue fans here, there's enough hate for the series already, without painting those with a brush as acting "sad" who'd prefer to see the series reach a conclusion with IV.

I never said that people are disrespecting Yu Suzuki, i just feel sad for Yu Suzuki, for all the things he had to handle all of these years, and i care for how Yu Suzuki want to finish his story, this is my opinion.

Yes, we all Shenmue fans here, people have different opinions and i'm okay with that, i respect that you prefer Shenmue to end in IV, i even said that i respect people that dislike Shenmue III, please stop deturping what i said, i will not continue this because i'm not here to fight, i respect different opinions and i said my opinion in a respectful way, thank you.

Finishing it in IV is not ideal. I think he should for sure finish it with Five. That's my viewpoint.

Perhaps, after all, is said and done. We can finally see those scripts to see how it originally was supposed to go. The fact that some random person has them, it would be nice to see it's contents after everything is ended and Yu has completed the saga. I don't think you can say it's "sad" per se that we wanna see it end on the highest note of all. It's sad that Sega turned its back on Yu after all he has done for Sega.
The series never finishing is not ideal either. I would love to see 4 announced, deliver a happy ending for the series and wrap it up. I don't buy it can't be done conceptually. They are headed towards the cliff temple where the Mirrors were stored and there could be a lot of revelations there about their ultimate purpose and why Sunming was entrusted them, deep in the heart of the mountains the dark secret of the treasure could be lying. Ryo has learnt two powerful baijiqan moves, Demon's Triangle and Body Check. I could personally buy it, if Ryo learns a few more in Shenmue IV and achieves a clarity of mind by finding out why his father or Sunming truly died, overall he achieves a rhythm, gets an edge over Lan Di and has his comeback in the ultimate act.

The Shenmue story has evolved and adapted, I believe it is possible to write a good conclusion in Shenmue IV despite the defensive nature from some fans saying it can't be done and that the sacred vision must be preseved.

The series never finishing is not ideal either. I would love to see 4 announced, deliver a happy ending for the series and wrap it up. I don't buy it can't be done conceptually . They are headed towards the cliff temple where the Mirrors were stored and there could be a lot of revelations there about their ultimate purpose and why Sunming was entrusted then, deep in the heart of the mountains the dark secret of the treasure could be lying. Ryo has learnt two powerful baijiqan moves, Demon's Triangle and Body Check. I could personally buy it, if Ryo learns a few more in Shenmue IV and achieves a clarity of mind by finding out why his father or Sunming truly died, overall he achieves a rhythm, gets an edge over Lan Di and has his comeback in the ultimate act.

The Shenmue story has evolved and adapted, I believe it is possible to write a good conclusion in Shenmue IV despite the defensive nature from some fans saying it can't be done and that the sacred vision must be preseved.
that's the point. It would feel rushed again and the content will be even more cut if it has to end with four. that is not something I would be very happy about. After all, Sega already screwed us with the Shenmue 2 thing and then turned its back on Yu and whatnot. And, the fact Sega is even NOW making money off Shenmue again and still not willing to back any further Shenmue production to me is not only a slap to our faces. But, to Yu as well. I don't think really ending it with IV would be ideal. The fact Yu even has to change his vision, even more, to "attract" new fans with the possibility of losing it's core fanbase is again, another Sega slap to the face.

Either you don't want anything to do with the IP or you do. Sega needs to stop the back and forth. If you see potential that you once implied isn't there then do the right thing. There has already been irreparable damage done to the franchise and it started with Sega and is sorta ending with Sega. let's take the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter for example. Once Sega seen it was gaining the traction it did it should have done more for it. Then perhaps we would have got a different Shenmue 3. They are willing to cash in on a Shenmue 1 and 2 port and the anime but not see the series through has always sat wrong with me. But, for what it's worth I don't discount your opinion I just feel like the bigger picture is being missed.

Before i go out of this thread i just need to say one more thing, i even said in this thread that if Yu Suzuki decides to finish in IV that i will understand his reasons and that i will support him.

Please stop deturping what i said, i respect Yu Suzuki and i respect the different opinions here, i just feel sad for what Yu Suzuki had to handle all of these years, and yes, i care about how Yu Suzuki want to finish his story, nothing wrong with that, it is his story so i care about how he want to continue and finish his story.

In that post i said my opinion in a respectful way so please stop with that, please stop deturping my post, i'm not here looking for a fight, thank you.

And for the record, implied is meaning your actions in regards to Shenmue 3 and forward in terms of Sega.

Before i go out of this thread i just need to say one more thing, i even said in this thread that if Yu Suzuki decides to finish in IV that i will understand his reasons and that i will support him.

Please stop deturping what i said, i respect Yu Suzuki and i respect the different opinions here, i just feel sad for what Yu Suzuki had to handle all of these years, and yes, i care about how Yu Suzuki want to finish his story, nothing wrong with that, it is his story so i care about how he want to continue and finish his story.

In that post i said my opinion in a respectful way so please stop with that, please stop deturping my post, i'm not here looking for a fight, thank you.
I don't get why you feel the need to withdraw from the thread, perhaps just don't refer to people as being sad who would like to see IV focus on a conclusion.

I don't get why you feel the need to withdraw from the thread, perhaps just don't refer to people as being sad who would like to see IV focus on a conclusion.

I never did that, i never refer to people as being sad for wanting Shenmue to end in Shenmue IV. What i said is that i think the situation is sad because i feel sad that Yu Suzuki have to cut out a lot of things in his story. I think the situation is sad, that all Yu Suzuki had to handle all these years is sad, i don't have the right to think that?

You are deturping my post, i never did refer to people as being sad for wanting Shenmue to end in IV, and i never said that people are disrepecting Yu Suzuki by wanting Shenmue to end in IV.

Yes, i feel the need to withdraw because i want nice conversations, i don't want fights in my life.

I respect that you want Shenmue to end in IV, you understood my post wrong, this ends here, ok? thank you.

I never did that, i never refer to people as being sad for wanting Shenmue to end in Shenmue IV. What i said is that i think the situation is sad because i feel sad that Yu Suzuki have to cut out a lot of things in his story. I think the situation is sad, that all Yu Suzuki had to handle all these years is sad, i don't have the right to think that?

You are deturping my post, i never did refer to people as being sad for wanting Shenmue to end in IV, and i never said that people are disrepecting Yu Suzuki by wanting Shenmue to end in IV.

Yes, i feel the need to withdraw because i want nice conversations, i don't want fights in my life.

I respect that you want Shenmue to end in IV, you understood my post wrong, this ends here, ok? thank you.
i agree with you

While I would obviously take anything at this point, I do think if Suzuki feels he can't conclude the story of Shenmue in a successful way in Shenmue 4, the ideal scenario would be to get budget and commitment from the publisher to fund a Shenmue 4 & 5 and co-develop both games. Given the supposed challenges of getting a publisher on board for a Shenmue 4, that obviously seems like a long shot. The question is can they get additional partners to split the financial risks? Then again more partners means less of an incentive for them to invest big, given any potential profits could be split multiple times over.

Refuse to believe they’ll never be another nights game
It's a shame they waited so long to make the disappointing sequel. Might as well have killed it off years earlier if they were going to disrespect the franchise like that.

You guys know Sega's about to set off on some major projects, though, right?

Sega says its 'Super Game' project is actually multiple AAA titles​

Sega has revealed more about its mysterious "Super Game" project, and it's more complex than you might have suspected. As VGC and Kotaku note, Sega executive VP Shuji Utsumi used an interview on its Japanese recruitment page to explain that Super Game is actually "several titles" in progress within the same framework. He and fellow leaders were shy on many details, but vowed that these would be blockbusters that ventured "beyond" the conventional game experience.

Super Game might not pan out for a while. Parent firm Sega Sammy said in November 2021 it might invest the equivalent of $882 million into the project over the next five years. You won't necessarily have to wait that long for the first products, but it's clear Sega treats Super Game more as a strategic bet than a short-term fix.
Based on the fact they're touting NFTs, the Super Games will likely be some sort of MMORPG with VR integration. That's my take. Hopefully we see an old franchise or two.

Today Sega published an interview on its Japanese website about the “Super Game” concept that it announced nearly a year ago.
The interview, featuring executive vice-president Shuji Utsumi, producer Masayoshi Kikuchi, and general manager Katsuya Hisai, provides more details about the concept and what we can expect.
The plan was put into motion in 2019 and involves strengthening the value of Sega’s IP, including older ones to create new games.

There are actually multiple games in development within this “Super Game” framework and the idea is to create titles that go beyond the conventional framework, for instance by creating new entertainment by focusing on the relationship between players and the audience watching them play.
Four points are required for a title to be classified “Super Game” and they are multiplatform, global multilingual support, simultaneous worldwide release, and AAA scale. Basically, they’re games that aim to become global blockbusters.

About 50 developers are involved in the initial stage of the project, but the expectation is to grow to involve hundreds of people.
Those working on the project form a hybrid team of developers who have been working on console, mobile, and arcade games, combining their know-how to create titles that only Sega can do.

New external technologies are being included. For instance, this includes the partnership with Microsoft for the use of Azure in development. In addition to that, Sega is promoting partnerships with a variety of companies to incorporate their technology into its games.
Unreal Engine 5 is being used for development and Sega is also collaborating with start-up companies working on the field of AI technology both on back-end work like debugging and front-end work like in-game camera control, live commentary, and automated voice synthesis.

The developers are also working on building a development flow that automatically generates objects in Houdini, or a tech that creates CGI from clothing patterns.
Interestingly, we hear that the team believes that the key to challenging the global market is “Japaneseness” as in games that are uniquely Japanese, created by people who live in Japan or who love Japanese content. This doesn’t mean that only Japanese developers are involved as a diverse set of values cultivated through experience overseas is also important. There are many non-Japanese developers working at Sega and they intend to continue to promote diversity in the future, aiming to work with people who love Japanese content to create games for the global market.

Last edited:
While I would obviously take anything at this point, I do think if Suzuki feels he can't conclude the story of Shenmue in a successful way in Shenmue 4, the ideal scenario would be to get budget and commitment from the publisher to fund a Shenmue 4 & 5 and co-develop both games. Given the supposed challenges of getting a publisher on board for a Shenmue 4, that obviously seems like a long shot. The question is can they get additional partners to split the financial risks? Then again more partners means less of an incentive for them to invest big, given any potential profits could be split multiple times over.
I wonder if Shenmue finale might have to be part of the pitch to the publisher, that could be a bit of nice publicity for them to be known as the publisher who helped Yu Suzuki finish his story.

It would be interesting if they agreed to publish both Shenmue IV and V and stated so right when IV is announced.

I think most fans would be happy seeing Yu being able to finish the story in game format and call it good, rather than have to squeeze it all into IV.

So I hope he tells them his plan was always five games and they agree and allow him to finish the story.

I think that’s how it’s going to be. Whoever announces 4 will announce the deal is to finish the series. Something alone the lines of “We’ve secured funding for two games to finish the saga.”

At least I hope that’s what will happen.
That would be the dream.

It would be nice to know the franchise's future is secure and we can stop campaigning on Twitter for good

I would prefer that Shenmue complete as intended with a 5th or 6th game. I think if S4 is greenlit... that it's more than likely the last Shenmue that will be made into a game. If it can be done, I think Suzuki should attempt to complete the story with 4.

Is there an event or something soon that this teasing could be leading up to or what?

Just thinking out loud, Yu said he wanted to "bring the series to the masses" and many people took this as "oh no S:Online, Mobile... to sum up, Shenmue Casual/Yakuza Shenmue" but what if this is the chapter when Ryo changes his name to Akira, meet Pai Chan and to sum up, become THE Virtua Fighter RPG (Yes Im VFjunkie, I prefer finishing Shenmue of course but also...:sweatsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back