110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking out loud, Yu said he wanted to "bring the series to the masses" and many people took this as "oh no S:Online, Mobile... to sum up, Shenmue Casual/Yakuza Shenmue" but what if this is the chapter when Ryo changes his name to Akira, meet Pai Chan and to sum up, become THE Virtua Fighter RPG (Yes Im VFjunkie, I prefer finishing Shenmue of course but also...:sweatsmile:
I still wonder what about a reboot with Yu-san overseeing it as opposed to directing it?

But I still just want Shenmue IV. I really just want the series to continue. But still, I do wonder what if to a reboot directed by new blood with Yu-san consulting and overlooking it.

I still wonder what about a reboot with Yu-san overseeing it as opposed to directing it?

But I still just want Shenmue IV. I really just want the series to continue. But still, I do wonder what if to a reboot directed by new blood with Yu-san consulting and overlooking it.
Do you mean a reboot of Shenmue 1-3, or use the opportunity for Shenmue IV to make some major changes with a new director with oversight from Yu Suzuki? I actually wouldn't mind the latter, since the gameplay pillars are well established in the franchise and a new director might be able to sand off the rough edges.

To note, I'd prefer that Yu Suzuki still be the director, but there's the reality that he's getting up there in age. And if there is a plan to go with S4 and S5, then perhaps it makes sense to get a new director in on S4 so that they're running on all cylinders with S5.

I wouldn't want to see Shenmue get the reboot treatment. For the *most* part, that never goes over well.

Shenmue is it's own thing and "rebooting" it or "remaking" it would cause it to lose much of what made it so special.

I don't know. The point I'm trying to make here(bear with me) is Shenmue is our RoboCop 1987. There's a reason the RoboCop reboot didn't succeed that well(though I didn't think it was bad). The classic old-school charm and substance.

Shenmue 1 & 2 were just released in late 2018, I can’t imagine another reboot (although you could argue that’s sort of what the anime is). I agree the series has to look forward at this juncture.

Shenmue 1 & 2 were just released in late 2018, I can’t imagine another reboot (although you could argue that’s sort of what the anime is). I agree the series has to look forward at this juncture.
Yes absolutely, we’ve got to press on at this point. The re releases of 1 and 2 are easily accessible plus we have the anime, it would be silly to go backwards at this point. The priority should be getting the series finished- but I don’t mean this in it should be rushed either, ideally I’d want at least two more games rather than rushing to the ending in IV.

Yes absolutely, we’ve got to press on at this point. The re releases of 1 and 2 are easily accessible plus we have the anime, it would be silly to go backwards at this point. The priority should be getting the series finished- but I don’t mean this in it should be rushed either, ideally I’d want at least two more games rather than rushing to the ending in IV.
I think the smartest play at this point would be to structure Shenmue 4 so that it ends at a point where the remaining story could be concluded in either one or two more games. That way, if they’re able to make a success of it, they’ll still have the option of making two more games and giving fans as much of the original story as possible. If it ends up doing poorly, being able to promise that Shenmue 5 will be the final game would leave them with a half a chance of securing funding somewhere further down the line (either from a publisher or through crowdfunding).

Rebooting the series instead of finishing it properly is a loathsome idea.

To be fair, I wouldn’t be against official remakes of the first three games of Shenmue 4 and 5 perform strongly, but the continuation of the series has to take priority.

I'd love a Shenmue 0 going into how the mirrors came to be in Iwao's possession.

But agree get the story done first and then worry about remakes/other angles.

I think the smartest play at this point would be to structure Shenmue 4 so that it ends at a point where the remaining story could be concluded in either one or two more games. That way, if they’re able to make a success of it, they’ll still have the option of making two more games and giving fans as much of the original story as possible. If it ends up doing poorly, being able to promise that Shenmue 5 will be the final game would leave them with a half a chance of securing funding somewhere further down the line (either from a publisher or through crowdfunding).
I don't know if that is the smart thing. The series' name has been dragged through the mud over the last 2 years, it doesn't have the same reputation and support anymore. If IV is announced I think it will be Suzuki getting it announced by the neck of his skin. He said he would want to finish the series in 4 or 5 games, if 4 isn't the conclusion then I think he's blown his chance and the series will be remembered that way.

I'd love a Shenmue 0 going into how the mirrors came to be in Iwao's possession.

But agree get the story done first and then worry about remakes/other angles.
I'm sure we would find that out in IV with them heading towards the clif temple. I guess the keepers of the temple who entrusted Sunming the Mirrors had to depend on Iwao, when something dark, related to the calamity of the treasure
took hold of Sunming and Iwao may have been forced to kill him, when he failed to find a way to save him.

Not to dismiss anyone's opinion here because since I've joined i love reading everybody's different views and perspectives on the series, but a reboot is in a way kind of happening currently with the anime and remakes were done and ported in 2018 we ideally need to focus on taking steps forward not back. Shenmue first two entries was already tainted back in the day by the constant onslaught by pompus journalists and lack of exposure & support by it's parent company affected it greatly when the franchise needed it the most then the third game came along and was literally ripped to shreds without a second thought why? Because it's shenmue. Basically you can have squeaky clean up to date graphics, more in-depth story telling, more combat action, new director and team but alot of damage has been done. A strong majority of the modern day gaming audience will not invest their time and don't simply don't have the patience for what type of game shenmue is because of its history. You could remake and reboot it all you want but if the audience isn't there then there's no point. Asking for this defeats the object of having the monthly campaigns on the 4th. Again forgive me if I come across like I'm shutting people's thoughts or opinions down i love the dojo and it's members but we have to be logical here we can't go round in circles and retread ground we have already walked we need to branch out and find out what's next not on what has already happened. However I do like the idea that someone mentioned of a shenmue 0 prequel series that would be lit. 🔥 We're in reality the only loyal and reliable thing the series has had so let's continue to support it and see what 110 will do next and what crunchy roll will do next. :)

I am not against Shenmue IV as the final isntallment if the game have a decent budget. I think that Shenmue II is basically two full games + an epilogue. Usually a Shenmue game main story takes around 20h to beat it, double that if possible. The good thinkg is that it seems that for IV they have a good preproduction plan, a budget and an idea they are sticking in to. Some people can bitch whatever they want Shenmue III, but thanks to it we are in the best position since 1999-2000. I am really excited to play as many Shenmue as possible, but I think you can go with one final hughe game instead of several smaller.

It will be interesting that Yu-San publish a Shenmue game called“Shenmue 3.8”
Maybe just a side story about Xiuying arrive Guilin to find Ryo and brother.

It will be interesting that Yu-San publish a Shenmue game called“Shenmue 3.8”
Maybe just a side story about Xiuying arrive Guilin to find Ryo and brother.
I would like something like that to be in Shenmue animation. Shenmue IV if the gossip is true, I think should be full steam ahead.

I honestly wouldn't mind a spin off game or even series, done by another developer, perhaps more based on the anime, with slightly different gameplay mechanics, maybe a fighting game or more of a straight up JRPG. But only if it didn't interfere with the main series and Yu Suzuki still got to make Shenmue 4 (and 5).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back