110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it sounds like preproduction would have to be complete before they shop it around to investors according to that model Kolobashkin is talking about.
More or less, and it's a good bet Shenmue IV would need very little pre-production, if any at all, considering the script is done, music is done, engine is built, textures databanked, ecosystems in place. If they were shopping around pitches at the start of last year, then perhaps this is a pitch that landed. It's around a year now too...

I’m going through the stages of anxiety/acceptance/anger daily lol. “It’s really happening” to “Maybe they are just fans of Shenmue and liking every post to support it?” to “They better not be just doing this as a marketing stunt, I’ll be so ticked” lol
Add to that emotional rollercoaster telling my wife about. I still don't dare to tell her. It has been so many full playthroughs... Another chapter, another couple of full playthroughs... Nope, the moment I tell her IV is coming she leave to her sister's for real. With two or more sequels I'll be signing divorce papers 100%

She caught me once doing Fang Mei birthday's quest and still unforgiven. Called me a pervert and worse

They certainly will come to realize we are a very passionate fan base, if they didn’t already realize that. I still say releasing a new Shenmue is less of a risk than dumping money into an unknown IP, especially now that a larger audience has possibly been captured (Toonami).

They’ve also gotten tons of free PR this week thanks to us, so do us a favor. :)

I’m going through the stages of anxiety/acceptance/anger daily lol. “It’s really happening” to “Maybe they are just fans of Shenmue and liking every post to support it?” to “They better not be just doing this as a marketing stunt, I’ll be so ticked” lol
Quite the contrary in my opinion. If this is a marketing stunt, it is being used to draw up hype ahead of an announcement. The anime, from a ratings standpoint has been a modest success, but there needs to be more buzz generated. Notice how in the past week we went from 110 liking tweets to multiple sites picking up the story, even if it is just "fan speculation".

They know exactly what they're doing, imo, especially since we know the CEO is a game fan and a fan of Yu Suzuki's as well. They're probably surprised no one picked up on the fact YS presented TGS, tbh. That kind of came and went with a thud.

More or less, and it's a good bet Shenmue IV would need very little pre-production, if any at all, considering the script is done, music is done, engine is built, textures databanked, ecosystems in place. If they were shopping around pitches at the start of last year, then perhaps this is a pitch that landed. It's around a year now too...
I hope that since the release of Shenmue III and the first version of Unreal 5 somoene on YS Net has ported the game tu UE5, that will be a huge preproduction milestone for IV.

Yeah that was really strange, I have no idea why that was so ignored by the press. Even people here on the Dojo ended up missing it as a result.
To be honest, When I saw Yu-San appeared on TGS last year, I did not feel anything because he lives in Japan.
Now TGS, the anime, S4 rumor are all connected

That's quite a point. I dare to speak for many fans that plotwise what we always have desired is watching at least Ryo and some more main cast to get older in the story. Im not talking about a big time lapse, like decades (while this also results me attractive) but maybe set Ryo's revenge (?) and Lan Di deadly final fight (?) in a course of 3-5 ingame years chasing him over Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, Thailand and even America. Im prudent enough to not waiting for this scenario happening but finally getting a "tatata travel to china tatata gatcha lan di!" would be a dissapoinment.
I'm not sure if this is still the case, but below is of the earliest articles about Shenmue from 1999 and it suggested the entire story takes place over the course of 3 years. At the end of Shenmue III i'd say that we're probably 5-7 months in (I could be wrong?)

1649872339402.png

As for the series ending at IV, i'd hope not, but I do worry that Yu-San is getting on a bit. Shenmue II was a pretty sprawling epic, so I echo sentiments that if IV *were* the last game, that it would need to be a gigantic epic.

The alternative is that I would want the entire unedited scripts to be translated into a hardback book to get the full story.

4th edit...actually re-reading the bit about what to do if your boat ticket was stolen which could have a knock on effect down the line sounds incredible today...!!

Last edited:
below is of the earliest articles about Shenmue from 1999
OMG this is the first time ever I see Delin and manual cargo job in S1 Harbor? I thought I already saw everything related to beta content with Yamanose, Sakuragaoka magazines beta screens. This is madness, it never ends to amaze me.
Hmm thinking on it having Delin+manual cargo+brawling uppercut unlockable would had made a great addition to the harbor segment in S1 and that way they could had disminished the forklift part (at least races). Also Delin and cargo job was/is always to me "what are you rambling 'bout coming again tomorrow? Im going to the pachinkos Delin dude!" and thats the best desition because you also have to yay! air the books.

In case anyone's concerned about the Russia connection, as someone on Resetera pointed out and suggested I amend my OP to inform all, I think this is a good place to be for the time being:

I'd add that the publishers co-president actively denounced the Kremlin on Twitter when the war broke out.

They have also been retweeting support for the refugees and Ukrainian Red Cross. I don't think you'd be doing that without careful consideration at being labelled a traitor by your president and likely not able to set foot there again after being so public in denouncing the actions of the Russian president.

Abramovich did indeed invest in this firm in 2020, that's 100% fact & has a interesting history in his links for sure and was sanctioned as a result by several governments.

Also it is suspected that he poisoned (along with some Ukrainian diplomats) during peace talks so what has changed in his world since then is guesswork at best:
www.theguardian.com

Abramovich and Ukrainian MP may have been poisoned this month

Russian billionaire and Rustem Umerov had symptoms consistent with poisoning earlier in March, says source
www.theguardian.com
www.theguardian.com

www.bbc.co.uk

Roman Abramovich suffered 'suspected poisoning' at talks

The billionaire had sore eyes and peeling skin after attending Ukraine peace talks, sources say.
www.bbc.co.uk

Also I'd not want to tar all Russian's with the same brush. It's not their fault that their leader has, for all purposes, lost his damn mind and has become a stain on this world.

So in short it doesn't mean this publisher is aiding and abetting the terrible crimes in Ukraine, nor should we jump to that conclusion given that publicly they have stated where they stand on this.
Of course still don't know that they have anything to do with Shenmue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back