110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Am I the only person confused by all the hate for the Song conference? Granted, I didn't fully watch it, but it sounds like a good selection of games from what I read? Alan Wake 2! Dragon's Dogma 2, Spiderman 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake and so on.

I guess people are getting sick of remakes and MGS3 was the worst kept secret ever, since it already leaked, but it's still pretty exciting.
alan wake 2 should of came out 10 years ago back when gamers were asking for it. i was a fan of the original but now... times have changed, we have and had, tones of great horror games.

the mgs 3 remake is a no brainer for konami. that's going to make money. the mgs vol.1 collection sounds good but i want to see what new features they add. modern, updated controls would be nice. graphically, what more can you do to those games?

i will check out spiderman 2 but for me, ps4's spiderman and ps5's spider-man miles morales, while fun, were quite forgettable.

regarding shenmue 4. i just hope they announce it soon because another big wait between games is not going to help. (2024 release 🤞)

I wanted to see more Stellar Blade, but of course that didn't show up either.

Yeah, the *only* thing that got any time was Spider-Man II, which honestly could've just fit into its own State of Play like FF16 got not long ago.

The reason given for no Showcase for 2 years was because they didn't have anything ready to show. After two whole years, we saw only brief CGI trailers for like..two games. To make matters worse, they appear to be GaAS(Games as a Service) which is a much maligned genre these days and a primary reason why Suicide Squad had a backlash SO badly it was delayed into next year. People don't like them; they are predatory grinds and cash-grabs not unlike F2P games.

It was exceedingly disappointing for a Showcase relative to what Showcases are normally(and ascribed to be by even Sony themselves).

regarding shenmue 4. i just hope they announce it soon because another big wait between games is not going to help. (2024 release 🤞)
You people can wait for announce in what's left this year, a quarter. But by any means expect a release next year, not even with actual AI state of the art. When you read about notably reducing delay between player input and AI response, add that to the chance percentage of S4 news coming.

Personally I expect more apparently unrelated events happening, events that help into the series future. Some buzz generated intentionally previous Yu-san declarations hinting S4 and finally a official announce at the very end of year or 2024 Q1. The announce would date release for 2025-26.

A bit surprised by some of the negativity online; I thought it was a solid showcase, especially compared to some of Sony's recent State of Plays that weren't great. But that's the internet I guess; everything is either the worst or the greatest thing ever.

Not all highlighted games were for me, but overall it was a good mix with the announcements coming at a pretty decent pace. Phantom Blade and The Plucky Squire really stood out to me. Will probably get Street Fighter 6 and Spider-Man 2, which both look really good.

I also can't blame Sony for promoting a movie based on one of their most iconic franchises that's (partly) produced and distributed by them as well. There's a ton of overlap here and it makes total sense from a business perspective to dedicate 2 minutes of a 60+ minute showcase to play a trailer for it.

What I would have liked to see here would have been an update on the Kiryu Gaiden game that's supposed to come out this year and obviously a surprise Shenmue IV announcement, but there are plenty of opportunities left during this 'E3 season'.

A bit surprised by some of the negativity online; I thought it was a solid showcase, especially compared to some of Sony's recent State of Plays that weren't great. But that's the internet I guess; everything is either the worst or the greatest thing ever.
I think a lot of this comes down to the fact that Sony has so many first-party games in the oven right now. Insomniac has Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine, Guerrilla has the Horizon threequel and that terrible-looking Horizon MMO that leaked last year, Naughty Dog is working on Factions 2 and a new fantasy game, Santa Monica Studio recently started hiring for a new project, Ghost of Tsushima 2 is reportedly in the works at Suckerpunch, etc etc. Then there are the third party exclusives that we already know about (FF7 Rebirth, the new Silent Hill games, etc), which many had hoped to get a better look at at the showcase.

It’s funny, really, because if they’d just released title card announcements for three of the unannounced projects that everybody already knows about, people would be calling it the best Showcase in history. I guess they learned from Nintendo’s mistakes when it comes to announcing stuff way too early (Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, etc). As a result, a lot of “reputable” leakers are now looking awfully silly.

It’s funny, really, because if they’d just released title card announcements for three of the unannounced projects that everybody already knows about, people would be calling it the best Showcase in history. I guess they learned from Nintendo’s mistakes when it comes to announcing stuff way too early (Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, etc). As a result, a lot of “reputable” leakers are now looking awfully silly.
This is very much accurate. Everyone learned that lesson and that's where we at. Consider it a reasonable factor for keeping silence about S4 likely ongoing development.

Reactions: JP_
Am I the only person confused by all the hate for the Song conference? Granted, I didn't fully watch it, but it sounds like a good selection of games from what I read? Alan Wake 2! Dragon's Dogma 2, Spiderman 2, Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake and so on.

I guess people are getting sick of remakes and MGS3 was the worst kept secret ever, since it already leaked, but it's still pretty exciting.
It's a Playstation conference, if I want to see multiplatform game I'd watch Summer Game Fest or something like that.

I very rarely enjoy these showcases anymore. It's become dominated by fanboy clowns and journalists constantly fueling the Sony vs Microsoft crap.

I very rarely enjoy these showcases anymore. It's become dominated by fanboy clowns and journalists constantly fueling the Sony vs Microsoft crap.

The whole "console war" thing is a bit silly. I am not a fan of Microsoft's practice of buying out publishers; likewise, I'm not a fan of Sony trying to cash-in on GAAS, which is a very big reason why the Showcase was subpar.

Sony has always put out some stellar first-party offerings for single player. One need only look at the overwhelming success of Zelda to see the market there, just like God of War, Horizon, etc.

The other thing I'm not liking these days are the *quality* of some games we are getting on the AAA front.

With games costing $70, this whole trend of releasing a buggy or underperforming mess, waiting a couple of days, then throwing out an "Oops, sorry guys. We will fix it" is getting a little outrageous.

Redfall, Jedi Survivor, Gollum, Forsaken, Dead Island 2, the list goes on.

Prior to recently, it was Cyberpunk, Battlefield, Dying Light 2, etc.

Console wars have been going on for as long as I can remember and even before I was born, so this is nothing new. However, over the last decade or so, it's certainly gotten much, much nastier and frankly i'm embarrased for my hobby. If it's not microtranscations, DLC, broken games on arrival and shitty business practices, then it's blind fanboys/girls/etc, disgusting working practices and frankly shitty communication from the big companies.

It says a lot that almost all the games I play nowadays are not only single player games, but remasters/remakes of games I loved growing up or new games based on franchises I love. You know the hobby is fucked up when 1 in 10 female gamers feel suicidal due to online abuse.

I think a big problem nowadays is that since the decline of E3, the gaming companies have controlled the narrative far too long. The silence is deafening and when they can be bothered to show something, it's almost always going to be a let down. It might be a combination of unreasonable hype, fanboyism, console war flaming or just frankly people being dicks, but i'm really, really not liking the way things are going.

Don't get me wrong, rose tinted specs can be a pain in the arse, because i'm sure things were just as bad in the 90's and 00's, but maybe it's just being surrounded by social media and a 24/7 news cycle, because right now the industry feels like a sick place to be.

In a weird way, because of the negative feedback of the Playstation showcase, perhaps not having Shenmue IV being announced was a mixed blessing as it's not associated with the blowback.

I would hope my first message in a few weeks would be a more positive one, but sadly it's not. There will always be good people in the community and the hobby (this place is proof), but frankly there's just too much noise, both good and bad, both left and right. It's frankly exhausting.

Last edited:
I’m the same way. Every single showcase, no matter the publisher, I always find myself wondering how many people buy these games to support studios making them. Because they just don’t seem like games I would pay full price for. I’m in a different phase of life than their target demo but even when I was younger I had to pick and choose the games I asked my parents to buy even though I loved gaming.

It's a Playstation conference, if I want to see multiplatform game I'd watch Summer Game Fest or something like that.
The showcase shows off games that are coming out on PlayStation, not just games exclusive to the platform. This has never been the case nor was it ever implied as such. The same applies to Nintendo and Xbox. Sure, it would have been cool to see a few more big PlayStation Studios announcements, but at the same time I don't really want to see a bunch of games that are still years off or the developers aren't ready to show off. I don't intend to call anyone out, but really do believe people should learn to manage their expectations.

Console wars have been going on for as long as I can remember and even before I was born, so this is nothing new. However, over the last decade or so, it's certainly gotten much, much nastier and frankly i'm embarrased for my hobby. If it's not microtranscations, DLC, broken games on arrival and shitty business practices, then it's blind fanboys/girls/etc, disgusting working practices and frankly shitty communication from the big companies.

It says a lot that almost all the games I play nowadays are not only single player games, but remasters/remakes of games I loved growing up or new games based on franchises I love. You know the hobby is fucked up when 1 in 10 female gamers feel suicidal due to online abuse.

I think a big problem nowadays is that since the decline of E3, the gaming companies have controlled the narrative far too long. The silence is deafening and when they can be bothered to show something, it's almost always going to be a let down. It might be a combination of unreasonable hype, fanboyism, console war flaming or just frankly people being dicks, but i'm really, really not liking the way things are going.

Don't get me wrong, rose tinted specs can be a pain in the arse, because i'm sure things were just as bad in the 90's and 00's, but maybe it's just being surrounded by social media and a 24/7 news cycle, because right now the industry feels like a sick place to be.

In a weird way, because of the negative feedback of the Playstation showcase, perhaps not having Shenmue IV being announced was a mixed blessing as it's not associated with the blowback.

I would hope my first message in a few weeks would be a more positive one, but sadly it's not. There will always be good people in the community and the hobby (this place is proof), but frankly there's just too much noise, both good and bad, both left and right. It's frankly exhausting.
While I sympathize with some of your sentiments and can agree to a certain extent, I certainly don't feel embarrassed for my hobby nor do I think it can be blamed for cyberbullying; people are assholes online all across the board, not just in gaming. There's no such thing as a 'safe haven' online.

i feel like the "console wars" or having multiple console companies being competitive is good for gaming. it helps drive down prices and keep things user friendly.. it dosn't seem that long ago (but it was), that microsoft was trying to kill off the physical, secondhand gaming market with the launch of the xbox one but sony put them in their place and microsoft backed down. i think the idea would of been, you would of needed a code to unlock the game disc & some game publishers could of blocked their games from working secondhand - which would of sucked.

the microtransactions,dlc and paying extra to unlock content on a game disc sucks but like you, my biggest hate or recent gaming is companies releasing completely broken games. from what i understand, nintnendo is the only company which has strict standards on this.

from what ive read, one big problem in gaming is that games which are quite good are not turning a profit (which means we dont get a sequel to them) because the production costs are too high. it seems to me that nearly all games are aiming for that 40 hour gameplay mark and enough content to take it to 60-80hours.. its not going to be super popular opinion but thats one thing they can fix.. make games short & sweet, like the old days - 15hours of gameplay, max.. like a blockbuster movie experience, i imagine it would be so much cheaper to make (?) (some of the best games ive ever played were only about 15 hours long)

i feel like the "console wars" or having multiple console companies being competitive is good for gaming. it helps drive down prices and keep things user friendly

I fear i'm not getting my point across as eloquenty as I like. I agree competition is good and healthy (which is why I think Microsoft buying out ABK because they can't make good games themseves is kinda pathetic), but when I say 'console wars', I mean to say people whose identities are so entwined with a company* that they won't/can't appreciate anything good from a competitor. It's just sad and that I do find embarrasing.

I still buy physical games, because I like the feeling of having something that is *mine* and that's a further reason why I don't like Microsoft's stance on things. I do get digital games where cost is cheaper or there is no alternative, but I can't say i'm optimistic about the future. That said, I don't like physical games much anymore when it is just a disc in a case and a lot of the time you have a multi GB download on top of things.

*I was entwined with Sega as a child and to this day, but Sega to me means blue sky gaming, happy music and ultimately positive vibes whereas the stereotypical Xbox/PS fan gives off a more negative vibe to me (FIFA/CoD etc). I appreciate i'm talking in broad strokes here, but that's generally the vibe I get.

While I sympathize with some of your sentiments and can agree to a certain extent, I certainly don't feel embarrassed for my hobby nor do I think it can be blamed for cyberbullying; people are assholes online all across the board, not just in gaming. There's no such thing as a 'safe haven' online.

That is true; you find it across all hobbies and spectrums, but there's just something so infatile about a majority of "gamers" that truly is embarrasing. Don't get me started on influencers and all that stuff. And there needs to be more done to have a 'safe haven'. Dunno if it's the wild west nature of the industry or something, but I felt safer online a decade ago compared to today. Nowadays if I see a group of people with smartphones, I get anxious in case they film me for the "lolz".

I think there needs to be a hard reset with a lot of gaming companies and the awful behaviour of a lot of gamers. I haven't really felt so low about my hobby since the 360/PS3 days. I just turned 38, but I feel very old right now haha.

The showcase shows off games that are coming out on PlayStation, not just games exclusive to the platform. This has never been the case nor was it ever implied as such. The same applies to Nintendo and Xbox. Sure, it would have been cool to see a few more big PlayStation Studios announcements, but at the same time I don't really want to see a bunch of games that are still years off or the developers aren't ready to show off. I don't intend to call anyone out, but really do believe people should learn to manage their expectations.
After almost 2 years without Showcase, in the E3 (this isnt the official E3 but it is, lets be honest, this is the E3 presentation) you cant just show a gameplay of Spiderman with PS4 graphics and say "hey bro, dont expect that much". Remember, this was Sony's E3. This guys were the king of E3 back in the day. The release dates are a joke, nowadays all the games gets delays, no one cares about it, forget about that.

When Nintendo makes his presentation, shows multiplat games and exclusives (Zelda, Mario, Bayonetta, Animal crossing, Fire emblem, etc etc), same with Microsoft (Halo, Gears, Forza, Starfield and whatever Bethesda is making) + gamepass stuff. That's a thing too right now. If they said "you know what, MGS3 and Dragons Dogma are gonna be day one in Playstation Plus" ((or whatever is called right now)) well, that's a thing, that's actually pretty cool. But wasnt the case). Here Sony presented just multiplats AAA and the only one with hype was leaked (MGS3) and was just a teaser that says nothing (who makes it? when? how? hello?).

It was crap. Because this means they dont have anything in the near-middle future, because we know (oh hell we know, E3 2015...) that Sony sells you Heaven with 2 cents. If they cant sell a thing, it's because there's nothing at all. Just look what they did with MGS3. And look what they did in 2015. They had Microsoft on the floor after the failure of Redfall, and they said, with some big ball, "bro, make some space on the floor for me, i have nothing".

And you could say "well, but games nowadays takes lot of time to develop, this isnt 2005 or even 2009 anymore". Yes. Okay. But Nintendo does it. Are they machines? Or is it because Japanese are a superior race? Or maybe Nintendo spends millions in people making games for them?

And Microsoft bought stuff to do it too and that's actually the main critic to Microsoft right now, the delay in games lately having lots of studios.

If Sony wants to develop games more frecuently, then use some of the money of the 120 million consoles sold last generation and buy some studios, because buying the exclusivity of games I think isnt a choice anymore except for Square, and honestly, looking at the Square's games lately... Idk if that's something good at all. If Sony doesnt want to do this, then Sony will have to come here, make a shitty event after 600 days and receive all the shit in social media, because thats what they wanted. They prefered this instead of spending money. "The insults and bad image its cheaper" they thought. And thats alright, but you gotta take the shit too, you cant scape from that. I'm sorry but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I dont know if the VR2 games are cheap and they want to fool people into buying them, or if they REALLY are into this VR stuff. If it's the first option, thats bs, if it's the second option, I think that's a mistake, VR isnt a thing right now and wont be in the next 10 years best case scenario.

Maybe it's because I am pc exclusive now, but this console generation just comes across boring. These consoles have been out for 3 years and I don't think anything has been released that has been all that special. The consoles are selling well, but it's really lacking buzz.

Maybe it's because I am pc exclusive now, but this console generation just comes across boring. These consoles have been out for 3 years and I don't think anything has been released that has been all that special. The consoles are selling well, but it's really lacking buzz.
Yeah I agree, but last gen was the same. Just look at 2015. What did you have? FFXV maaaybe, and just in terms of graphics?? MGSV and it was crossgen and multiplatform. Mmmm Dragon Age Inquisition? The Ubisoft's releases were a disaster...

Back