110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Yeah I agree, but last gen was the same. Just look at 2015. What did you have? FFXV maaaybe, and just in terms of graphics?? MGSV and it was crossgen and multiplatform. Mmmm Dragon Age Inquisition? The Ubisoft's releases were a disaster...
Speaking more to prior post, but still--

The biggest issue is COVID upended a LOT of game development, plus the massive economic slowdown resulted in many people clinging to their PS4s, either from an inability to afford the new one, or due to supply constraints unable to find one. It was almost impossible to find a PS5 for nearly two years.

As such, many development studios had to continue to pursue last-generation versions for much longer than they probably originally intended, as that was where the install base continued to be.

It also didn't help(and many devs have spoken to this) that Microsoft shouldn't have done a lesser-powered system with devs already stretched thin. I think the Series S was a mistake and should've been done differently or not at all.

As such, you have had a large gap wherein developers just haven't been able to break free to harness the power these new systems truly provide.

Only a couple of studios(mainly Geurilla and Insomniac) have put forward games that were next-gen only. Horizon is an incredible visual feast.

Last of Us Part 1 looks great, but was more just rebuilt with TLOU2 engine. We haven't seen what Naughty Dog can truly do, but rest assured it'll look fantastic.

Final Fantasy XVI is made by the man who arguably made one of gaming's biggest comeback/resurrection stories in history with Final Fantasy XIV, so I have a lot of confidence in it being a winner.

The systems themselves have a lot of power under the hood and they'll increase in visual pop over time as developers move into prominent development this year and next.

But the GAAS thing needs to pump the brakes--people want strong single-player titles, which is why I think Shenmue IV is so important for folks like us.

GAAS just leads to ugly monetization--look at the current dumpster fire that is Overwatch 2..they literally *cancelled* the entire PvE component which is WHY IT WAS MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Now it's a watered down Overwatch 1 with less features than the original game, a nasty cash-grab battle pass and a hoard of balance issues.

After almost 2 years without Showcase, in the E3 (this isnt the official E3 but it is, lets be honest, this is the E3 presentation) you cant just show a gameplay of Spiderman with PS4 graphics and say "hey bro, dont expect that much". Remember, this was Sony's E3. This guys were the king of E3 back in the day. The release dates are a joke, nowadays all the games gets delays, no one cares about it, forget about that.

When Nintendo makes his presentation, shows multiplat games and exclusives (Zelda, Mario, Bayonetta, Animal crossing, Fire emblem, etc etc), same with Microsoft (Halo, Gears, Forza, Starfield and whatever Bethesda is making) + gamepass stuff. That's a thing too right now. If they said "you know what, MGS3 and Dragons Dogma are gonna be day one in Playstation Plus" ((or whatever is called right now)) well, that's a thing, that's actually pretty cool. But wasnt the case). Here Sony presented just multiplats AAA and the only one with hype was leaked (MGS3) and was just a teaser that says nothing (who makes it? when? how? hello?).

It was crap. Because this means they dont have anything in the near-middle future, because we know (oh hell we know, E3 2015...) that Sony sells you Heaven with 2 cents. If they cant sell a thing, it's because there's nothing at all. Just look what they did with MGS3. And look what they did in 2015. They had Microsoft on the floor after the failure of Redfall, and they said, with some big ball, "bro, make some space on the floor for me, i have nothing".

And you could say "well, but games nowadays takes lot of time to develop, this isnt 2005 or even 2009 anymore". Yes. Okay. But Nintendo does it. Are they machines? Or is it because Japanese are a superior race? Or maybe Nintendo spends millions in people making games for them?

And Microsoft bought stuff to do it too and that's actually the main critic to Microsoft right now, the delay in games lately having lots of studios.

If Sony wants to develop games more frecuently, then use some of the money of the 120 million consoles sold last generation and buy some studios, because buying the exclusivity of games I think isnt a choice anymore except for Square, and honestly, looking at the Square's games lately... Idk if that's something good at all. If Sony doesnt want to do this, then Sony will have to come here, make a shitty event after 600 days and receive all the shit in social media, because thats what they wanted. They prefered this instead of spending money. "The insults and bad image its cheaper" they thought. And thats alright, but you gotta take the shit too, you cant scape from that. I'm sorry but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I dont know if the VR2 games are cheap and they want to fool people into buying them, or if they REALLY are into this VR stuff. If it's the first option, thats bs, if it's the second option, I think that's a mistake, VR isnt a thing right now and wont be in the next 10 years best case scenario.
We're obviously not going to see eye to eye on this. I was merely offering some perspective, but it's all good.

We're obviously not going to see eye to eye on this. I was merely offering some perspective, but it's all good.
Ofc you can reply anyway lol. It's a nice topic.
Speaking more to prior post, but still--

The biggest issue is COVID upended a LOT of game development, plus the massive economic slowdown resulted in many people clinging to their PS4s, either from an inability to afford the new one, or due to supply constraints unable to find one. It was almost impossible to find a PS5 for nearly two years.

As such, many development studios had to continue to pursue last-generation versions for much longer than they probably originally intended, as that was where the install base continued to be.

It also didn't help(and many devs have spoken to this) that Microsoft shouldn't have done a lesser-powered system with devs already stretched thin. I think the Series S was a mistake and should've been done differently or not at all.

As such, you have had a large gap wherein developers just haven't been able to break free to harness the power these new systems truly provide.

Only a couple of studios(mainly Geurilla and Insomniac) have put forward games that were next-gen only. Horizon is an incredible visual feast.

Last of Us Part 1 looks great, but was more just rebuilt with TLOU2 engine. We haven't seen what Naughty Dog can truly do, but rest assured it'll look fantastic.

Final Fantasy XVI is made by the man who arguably made one of gaming's biggest comeback/resurrection stories in history with Final Fantasy XIV, so I have a lot of confidence in it being a winner.

The systems themselves have a lot of power under the hood and they'll increase in visual pop over time as developers move into prominent development this year and next.

But the GAAS thing needs to pump the brakes--people want strong single-player titles, which is why I think Shenmue IV is so important for folks like us.

GAAS just leads to ugly monetization--look at the current dumpster fire that is Overwatch 2..they literally *cancelled* the entire PvE component which is WHY IT WAS MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Now it's a watered down Overwatch 1 with less features than the original game, a nasty cash-grab battle pass and a hoard of balance issues.
Nah I dont buy that. You're saying that in the middle of COVID Sony said "oh damn, we cant produce that many PS5, and lot of people is still playing PS4, hell, we're gonna make PS4 games and port to PS5 day one". No way that was the case.

I'm tired of the series S issue while Sony launched GOW Ragnarok in PS4. Again, you cant have the cake and eat it too. Or we complain about Series S (no) and PS4 launches, or we dont give a fuck. Series S it's the same than X, just thinked in 1080p games. I'm in the same situation with my PC with a 3060, perfect for 1080p, I dont need anything better because I dont have a monitor 2K or 4K.

Didnt play the new Horizon (and actually I'm not too interested, Idk why, I liked the first one). Insomniac next gen? When? Not in Miles Morales and the trailer they showed looks like a PS4 game. We'll have to wait if they get it better till the release.

TLOU1 looks great, yes.

FFXVI looks terrible, and you're talking with a guy that played FFVII original just a few years ago, played the VII remake and i'm waiting like a fool for news about the second part while everybody is hyped by a game that looks like XII. Okay, I'm being mean, but come on, even XV looked much better, and I'm not gonna compare it with VII remake because that's not a proper open world so I'll be gentle, but come on, XV cant be better graphicaly, it was released when, 2015? 2016? I dont know what the hell is happening with Square honestly, they make gold stuff like VII remake, Octopahs, Triangle Strategy, and then they do this cheap shit I just cant get it.

Idk what's GAAS lol.

Ow2 was a scam, I knew it since the trailer they did. It's the same fucking game with monetization. I wouldnt play it even if they give me money. And you're talking with a fucking Master support during 10 seasons lol.

not to continue steering off topic, but I love cross gen and long as possible.

Not only socio-econimic reasons, but it is neat to see hardware pushed to limits. Would be fascinating to see a PS4 exclusive these days with a lot of budget to really squeeze the tech.

One thing I feel detracts from DF/Jon Linneman's otherwise awesome video capture work: they fall into the same mindset of current gen being fine combed and microscopically over analyzed which can be dragged by previous generation specs. Yet, for a DF Retro episode they'll sing the praises of how good older gen games can look. Seems a bit of talking from both sides of your mouth? Couldn't the developers/publishers have ability to divide projects so the PS5 versions can be super spectacular and given better attention by a larger, different team.

random one-off

Didn't know where else to post this, but has Shenmue always had a featured spot on Sega's website?

The Shenmue link has been there for a long time. Glad they finally fixed the 404 for the link.
It was a broken link for many months. I guess they just redirected to steam now.
Some of us thought, the broken link meant they were launching a new version of the site for Shenmue 4.
I guess not.

It's very funny how their new logo is with 4 leaves. :D

Back