110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Who knows what the situation is? 110 Industries knew what they were doing when they teased Shenmue fans those few months ago. They are clearly close with Yu Suzuki from the evidence of last year’s presentation.

I do wonder whether Red Goes Faster could be a YS Net game but I’m not sure the weird retro-futuristic style of the trailer would fit with the arcade style racing we would expect from Yu Suzuki(?)

My hope is that a deal has been done and that YS Net have been working on the game for some time. As much as it would be nice to have confirmation if something is being made, they need to get the reveal right. They would need to be able to dispel the haters (which every franchise gets nowadays) by the quality of the reveal. I see no reason why the couldn’t release a high quality trailer 12 months before release and then spend the final months of development really hyping the game (as they have with Wanted Dead).

The dream isn’t over 🙏 YS Net have doubled their office space so they clearly have a decent number of staff working on at least one project. As long as YS Net are expanding, the likelihood of Shenmue 4 happening only improves (even if it means other projects, such as Air Twister, need to happen first to build funds).

Some wise dojo fellow pointed something interesting few pages ago: the compelling amount of products and stuff put on hold/rescheduled for 2023/24. Most simple answer and so probably most certain would be just relocating the company assets and projects for next fiscal year. At the end everyone wants to get the much money the better.

Please, don't shoot the messenger: what's left of current year have worrying prospects, revolving around money on people's wallets (two digits inflation is expected scenario), gas supply & price and winter (with rare extreme cold event warned). Companies, even game companies, have these things in concern.

Why is 110 industries discord and twitter with photos of their TGS set working? Did it finally happened??
The only thing cancelled was the planned TGS livestream, the Wanted: Dead portion of which appeared on IGN instead.

Everything else seems to have gone as expected.

Has been any word about their event cancelling? They should at least give some statement with a new date or something.

Just feels awful we got the anime and all the goodwill and momentum from that, straight into the teases from 110 tying into the final episodes and now nothing but silence since then. My brain can't fathom why they would bother to make an anime to an unconcluded game series then seemingly not continue with that either. Like what is the endgame for Sega and this franchise because it feels like plate spinning at the minute, except someone forgot to spin them and they all fell off. Feels worse than before because you could understand Sega were broke after Shenmue 2 and the DC but the good momentum is being wasted right now. Nearly 3 years since Shenmue III's release and it's very sad we are seemingly more in the dark than before.

Just feels awful we got the anime and all the goodwill and momentum from that, straight into the teases from 110 tying into the final episodes and now nothing but silence since then. My brain can't fathom why they would bother to make an anime to an unconcluded game series then seemingly not continue with that either. Like what is the endgame for Sega and this franchise because it feels like plate spinning at the minute, except someone forgot to spin them and they all fell off. Feels worse than before because you could understand Sega were broke after Shenmue 2 and the DC but the good momentum is being wasted right now. Nearly 3 years since Shenmue III's release and it's very sad we are seemingly more in the dark than before.

It honestly sounded from interview with Jason Demarco, it was opportune timing that Sega allowed Shenmue franchise to be used (after seemingly Panzer Dragon Saga failed to materialize) so it’s hard to decipher it was part of larger media strategy or continuation of the series.

In addition because of the merger a Season 2 is in limbo which really adds salt to the wound as you said with good reception and positive viewing figures it could have helped provide stronger case for a prospective Shenmue 4. At this juncture we can only wait and see…

Straight up I don't think SEGA have a direct strategy for Shenmue at all and is shows in the merch for the anime in the west as a key example. Also factor in Crucnhyroll and it gets quite convoluted.

Since I interviewed Jason it has been confirmed that AdultSwim is safe from any immediate cuts following the merger. So that in itself is a step in the right direction and we know Jason wants to do that second season for sure. It might be a case of waiting for an opportune moment to have those discussions and see what can be done. The numbers are in its favour following on from the original airing which is good and AdultSwim were pleased so that carries some weight. Also factor in that even if it were greenlit right now I doubt we'd see anything about it for 2-3 years while they get the thing made and ready so that would put us into 2024/2025 easily.

As for Shenmue 4: 110's direct teasing has stopped but they keep liking the odd Shenmue post so whether that's them keeping things going slightly or not who knows. I am also a believer that whatever is/was/or may be going on YSNET would have told them to stop teasing, he didn't seem too impressed about it in the July Gamerant interview. Again though even if they announced anything right now I wouldn't expect it out for a minimum 18 months unless they have been quietly working on the game and are going to announce it 6-9 months from release and I don't think that's the case currently. They would also need to release a polished, trailer with impact whatever they do.

I think @ShenSun said it earlier. The End of Year interviews will be very interesting from Yu Suzuki. However we keep the faith, keep making noise and also looking at new ways to draw people into the series.

Straight up I don't think SEGA have a direct strategy for Shenmue at all and is shows in the merch for the anime in the west as a key example. Also factor in Crucnhyroll and it gets quite convoluted.

Since I interviewed Jason it has been confirmed that AdultSwim is safe from any immediate cuts following the merger. So that in itself is a step in the right direction and we know Jason wants to do that second season for sure. It might be a case of waiting for an opportune moment to have those discussions and see what can be done. The numbers are in its favour following on from the original airing which is good and AdultSwim were pleased so that carries some weight. Also factor in that even if it were greenlit right now I doubt we'd see anything about it for 2-3 years while they get the thing made and ready so that would put us into 2024/2025 easily.

As for Shenmue 4: 110's direct teasing has stopped but they keep liking the odd Shenmue post so whether that's them keeping things going slightly or not who knows. I am also a believer that whatever is/was/or may be going on YSNET would have told them to stop teasing, he didn't seem too impressed about it in the July Gamerant interview. Again though even if they announced anything right now I wouldn't expect it out for a minimum 18 months unless they have been quietly working on the game and are going to announce it 6-9 months from release and I don't think that's the case currently. They would also need to release a polished, trailer with impact whatever they do.

I think @ShenSun said it earlier. The End of Year interviews will be very interesting from Yu Suzuki. However we keep the faith, keep making noise and also looking at new ways to draw people into the series.

The only way I can see Yu quietly working on the game and waiting till the midnight hour to announce is if he's trying to line Shenmue 4 up with Shenmue anime season 2. Season 2 would cover Shenmue 3 and the next game is Shenmue 4. Other than that Shenmue 4 needs momentum if is a quiet announcement Shenmue 4 will be dead before it even starts.

Something that I would like to see happen is Sega match the anime budget so that we can get a 15-20 episode season instead of 12 episodes covering 2 games.

I can just about deal with no Shenmue Anime 2 at the moment so long as we get a Shenmue 4 soon.

Ideally, Shenmue 4 would need to be released beforehand so Anime 2 can properly adapt it anyway.

Oh leave me alone! I know I sound nuts trying to be positive, but this is SHENMUE we are talking about here! It never catches a break.

All of the Crunchyroll collaborations are being removed from Adult Swim? Makes me wonder whether Crunchyroll were a stumbling block in allowing Adult Swim to continue these without them(?) Either way thanks to Jason for everything he’s done for the cause and we hope for more Shenmue content in whatever form it may take 🙏

Back