110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Wait does this mean Suzuki officially said 110 aren't involved with Shenmue 4? Before that quote he said he hadn't spoken to them about that tweet.
As Reprise said, interpreting Yu's words must be done in caution.
But to me, it's the situation described excelent by Nick. I think this have more to do with the fact that is Air Twister moment than with Shenmue 4 state of development. And having some buzz started with a fantasy game is very important to Suzuki, I dare to say a wish. Let's take a look at his gamography... Almost every title is "reality themed", even when it may border supernatural elements. Space Harrier has been always Yu's Roschard test, screaming for making fantasy games.
So it would be more fitting your B scenario.
Edit: sorry I wrote missing some key posts already explaining it.

Last edited:
The anime interview with Yu was interesting. He said
"I also hope that this will be an opportunity for more people to become interested in Shenmue, which will in turn lead to interest in the games, and, if possible, to the proposal of making Shenmue 4 together."
Him saying proposal doesn't sound too good, what do you make of this?

The anime interview with Yu was interesting. He said
"I also hope that this will be an opportunity for more people to become interested in Shenmue, which will in turn lead to interest in the games, and, if possible, to the proposal of making Shenmue 4 together."
Him saying proposal doesn't sound too good, what do you make of this?
Just sounds like a generic repsonse

Sounds like a literal translation of Japanese to me, which makes his language a bit formal. I can’t really read into things like that, when NDAs and contracts are a thing. He’s usually pretty stone faced. I mean he got S3 to E3 to us without a hint.

Sounds like a literal translation of Japanese to me, which makes his language a bit formal. I can’t really read into things like that, when NDAs and contracts are a thing. He’s usually pretty stone faced. I mean he got S3 to E3 to us without a hint.

yeah, apart the photos with Mark Cerny, we didn't gen any real clue about Shenmue 3 until the forklift photo the day before the reveal.

I can’t really read into things like that, NDAs and contracts are a thing.
This is of highly importance and what I meant before with 110 acting kamikaze in PR. Maybe its the new way of doing this things but it doesn't fit with what Im used at all.

But for hopium sake, let's remember few apparently unrelated facts about Yu:
- Beneath that cold stone samurai glare hides a very humorous persona with a taste for the silliest thing... fart jokes.
- He also enjoy to trick players, hiding things in plain sight and with Shenmue series as director he goes into that many times (the secret room in Hazuki dojo 😱).

So I wouldn't discard very quick that he's acting surprised when he was actually aware about it.
Also, some users pointed that Yu seems extra confident and happy this days, which I agree but strongly doubt that the Shenmue anime and Air Twister alone are the only "responsables" of this confident Yu. But I repeat, this all is by playing the hopium card.

Are 110 still talking and teasing? Jesus Christ last heard it was only a couple weeks for an apple and banana announcement. 😂 Just don't set your expectations too high...they're coming off more like trolls now. I'll only believe it now when yu says/shows something himself.

I've been thinking about this a lot and it might be just the fan inside me talking; but I believe there is the possiblility that Ys Net might have been working on Shenmue IV even with Air Twister in the works.
Yu Suzuky must have shown the Shenmue IV demo to 110 industries and they might have already reached to an agreement.
I believe it would be much easier to convince a publisher with a project that is already in development than just something that is still in an early stage.
The fact that 110 industries CEO is also in Japan and is responding to Tweets from Shenmue fans also hints that something might be in the works; he could have gone to Japan even to finalise some details regarding the partnership between 110 Industries and Ys Net and also take a personal look at the game's development.

I don't know about everyone else, but to me, 'Eventually' sounds like 110 are tied to the project, but are waiting for something to progress it along - like development is 'on hold' until another co-publisher is brought in to provide remaining 1/2 or 1/4 extra funds, or for YsNet to be freed up from other projects, or both. Surely, they wouldn't be so presumptuous to say 'eventually' if they were either a bystander in the situation, or so judgmental if S4's development were in full swing (as it would sound like development is going badly).

Last edited:
Here is the Game Rant interview mentioned last week: https://gamerant.com/yu-suzuki-interview-shenmue-3-lessons-shenmue-4/

For those playing Suzuki bingo, "If there’s an opportunity to make another game" has made the cut! A bit crappy to start the interview with "To say that Shenmue 3 was a little disappointing would perhaps be a bit of an understatement" though (we've gone over this a million times, but still...)

Interesting stuff, although nothing major we don't already know. One thing I found interesting is that they have a database of feedback on what works and what doesn't from Shenmue III. There's also mention about making Shenmue IV more welcoming to newcomers. With that in mind, I can see the game having two experiences; an authentic "Shenmue" mode similar to what we're used to and a simpler mode for those who want markers, extra help etc.

For what it's worth, i'm not against that as i'm all for accessibility in gaming; I just hope that the optional stuff is just that. I definitely welcome an updated UI (or at the very least an options system that works!)

Last edited:
Good interview but again I am hesitant if those quotes are accurate if the number one failing of Shenmue 3 was around accessibility. Create meaningful investigative loops, one which players can reach through multiple characters or interactions funnelling them ultimately to same location. Have certain objectives non-linear giving players chance to tackle certain objectives as they please. Beef up the story and narrative payoffs and that would be more important than quest markers.

Really nice to see more thoughts of Yu Suzuki about Shenmue III and Shenmue IV. Yu Suzuki and the team are aware about what the community and other players think about Shenmue III, and how they can improve the experience for Shenmue IV.

To me this mean that if Shenmue IV happen it will be the most different game in the Shenmue franchise.

I think Shenmue IV will continue to have the Shenmue essence and identity, but with a lot of modern things so new and casual players can enjoy as well, and i think the story will progress a lot in the game.

I just hope the investigation/clues/notebook of the gameplay continue in all Shenmue games, this is one of my favorite things about the Shenmue games, it is like detective games.

i hope we will be able to customize some things in relation to how we want to play the game, i don't want quest markers in a Shenmue game so i hope this things will be customizable, it is nice to give the option for the players to choose about these things.

I think is a matter of time for us to see the Shenmue IV announcement, i have hope that Shenmue IV will be announced this year.

Right now I'm optimistic about everything in relation to YS NET.

Last edited:
A bit crappy to start the interview with "To say that Shenmue 3 was a little disappointing would perhaps be a bit of an understatement" though (we've gone over this a million times, but still...)

Yep. They could have covered what Shenmue 4 needed to do better without resorting to that kind of comment.

A bit crappy to start the interview with "To say that Shenmue 3 was a little disappointing would perhaps be a bit of an understatement" though (we've gone over this a million times, but still...)
Unfortunate comment, but Im starting to think that this kinds of stuff has encouraged Yu Suzuki to develop some mechanic twist that will become definitory.
In Shenmue 3, YS was IMO defining the training/fight system template and adapting classic mechanics to nowadays.
I strongly think that with Shenmue 4, the mentioned game parts will remain more or less the same (maybe some refining here and there but not too much overhaul) while we will be getting a revamped investigation mechanics and npc ai.
I wonder what happened to Yoot Saito's (antigame Seaman creator) "uncanny AI" he had in the works, by the way saying that he would preferably license it rather than featuring it in a game of him (i.e. Seaman 3).

I'm hoping he wouldn't put too much stock in non-fan feedback.

I realize they want to sell the game to a larger audience, but most of these people want it be like Yakuza, and then promptly complain about how it's poor man's Yakuza.

One of the reasons Shenmue 3 was great was because it's still Shenmue, and there's nothing like Shenmue yet.

Back