110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

This will be my last post about the Black Garlic thing.

Let's make something clear here, i respect all the opinions and i said that in my previous post, i just said i don't understand the criticism and i have the rights to think this way and to say why i don't agree, people have the rights to dislike the food system and i have the rights to love the food system.

I'm not trying to make people change their opinions, nothing like that, i have to explain that for people to not misunderstand my post.

You are correct about the availability of the foods i showed, but in Bailu Village have some foods that are better than the Black Garlic, and in Nioawu as well, and these foods have good prices.

I earn money in the game and i buy these foods that are better than the Black Garlic as well. earning money in this game is so easy so i want to experience all the things that the game has to offer, other foods are better than the Black Garlic so i want to buy as well and experience that in the game, the game is so much more enjoyable and fun this way, but if people disagree with me that's okay.

To end my final post about this i just want to say what i said in my other post, to me this about the foods It is the player choice, i view this way, but if other people view other way it's okay, if people only want to play eating Black Garlic it's okay, i respect all the opinions, thank you. 💚

Last edited:
One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Did it ever occur to you that Yu might actually want to turn a profit with the next Shenmue game? If he does, then he’ll absolutely need to listen to this “trash feedback” because the people who are providing it are the very same people that he’s hoping can be convinced to buy the next game.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope that some of the issues with the narrative are addressed and that the team are able to rebalance the stamina system as much as the next guy, but I can absolutely understand why they are interested in the feedback of first time players. In fact, if I were him, I’d probably be more interested in what they have to say than the fans, as the fans will likely buy the game regardless.

I'd hardly call that kind of feedback "treasure"...
But keep in mind that people you are trying to cater are the ones that:

-didn't bought the game
-contributed (actively) to the hate campaign since KS
-wanted a different game

3 things that are connected...

Apart for a generic research (like Yu did back in Shenmue 1 days, when he studied the trends of the era like Final Fantasy 8 etc.), I would not give more weight than necessary to that kind of "feedback".
It's not a modern HUD or some fixes to the stamina system that will make people change attitude toward a game that is very far from their conception of "instant gratification".

Besides, Shenmue 3 is already a very friendly game when it comes to its systems and gameplay (even too much sometimes).
It's "unfriendly" (for the current audience) because of the slow paced non-guided nature, but that cannot be changed, otherwise it becomes a different game.

Honestly I don't know how you can make Shenmue more casual-friendly without destroying everything...

Last edited:
I think it can be summed up in this way... the more patient you are in playing Shenmue, the richer the experience you will have.

But for the most part the entire games industry has trained players to rush through games. I played through quite a bit of the first Destiny with some friends. In spite of the the volcano of money and artistry that was poured into that game, the entire story (I know it was a cobbled together mess) and the amazingly beautiful vistas can simply be ignored because early on it becomes clear, every mission is played the same way - rush to the waypoint and start shootin'. See this incredible landscape that someone crunched and missed four years of their kids' childhoods to painstakingly craft? Yeah zip right past that to the waypoint

GR: You appeared quite prominently in 110 Industries’ Tokyo Game Show presentation last year and there were strong rumors about a partnership a few months ago. Are YS NET and 110 Industries currently working together on a new game?

A: I don’t know who started those rumors. 110 Industries approached us for an interview and we just answered their questions. I think the rumors are just rumors.

GR: A few hours ago, 110 was asked about Shenmue 4 on Twitter, to which they replied “Eventually.” It sounds like they know something we don’t…

A: We did not talk to 110 industries about that.

GR: In your experience, is it normal for a publisher to comment about a game that they have no connection with?

A: It’s not normal, no. I don’t have any comments about 110.

Well, you can still look at it from the 'so theres nothing going on' side
or from the 'oh theres something going on but he doesnt want to confirm it yet' side.
I dont see any real evidence for the pro or contra side. You can still think about it what you want

Beautiful interview, nice to see Yu-san talking about Air Twister and Shenmue.

Nice to see that Yu-san is happy because Air Twister is doing well, i love playing this game.

Yu Suzuki: If there’s an opportunity to make another game, I would like to approach it in that way; preserve the good qualities of Shenmue, but also make it enjoyable for casual players. Next time, I want to make a game that both fans and casual players can enjoy.

I agree with Yu-san, i think for Shenmue IV this is the best decision, i love the Shenmue style and i don't have problems with this sytle, but for Shenmue IV if Yu-san preserve the good qualities of Shenmue while trying new and different things as well, then i feel Shenmue IV will be a beautiful game for the Shenmue fans and also for casual players.

Yu Suzuki: It’s not normal, no. I don’t have any comments about 110.

I don't know... i feel that Yu-san is working with 110 Industries about Shenmue IV but just can't say yet, but i have hope, i have hope the announcement will happen this year.

So 110 is basically trolling us?
Well yes... But he doesn't seem annoyed by it does he?

Surely if there was no ongoing discussions with 110 on S4 then you'd think he'd be pretty firm and clear in his response that they had nothing to do with it. There's no benefit to him or the future of Shenmue in allowing them to suggest they're involved if there's no basis to it after all.

I take his reluctant to discuss 110 and his lack of clarity as a positive sign that there are discussions happening but nothing set in stone to be able to formally announce yet.

GR: A few hours ago, 110 was asked about Shenmue 4 on Twitter, to which they replied “Eventually.” It sounds like they know something we don’t…

To me this answer confirms 110 are full of it? That's how I read it anyway.

He probably called them up at least. "Hey, what's up? It's me, Yu Suzuki!"

Dying at how the interview ends:

NaVaF7e.png

Couldn't even throw in a final tidbit about Air Twister or some light hearted question to end on a positive note. Just "fuck knows what these publisher dudes are on about, peace!".

How is that Shaun? I was swallowed by emptyness reading that...
:ROFLMAO: sorry to inspire such despair, it's just it comes to me across like "we never spoke to 110 about Shenmue IV at all" so therefore there is nothing going on.

It has a hint of vagueness that you can't really say for sure.

"We didn't talk about that"

What's "that"?

Shenmue 4?
Or 110's Twitter teases?
This is also the other scenario though I guess, that Suzuki is being deliberately vague with the answer :unsure:

I want to remain hopeful but this rumour has dragged on for a long time with promises of things to show soon and nothing has materialised. Would love to be proved wrong though!

:ROFLMAO: sorry to inspire such despair, it's just it comes to me across like "we never spoke to 110 about Shenmue IV at all" so therefore there is nothing going on.

This is also the other scenario though I guess, that Suzuki is being deliberately vague with the answer :unsure:

I want to remain hopeful but this rumour has dragged on for a long time with promises of things to show soon and nothing has materialised. Would love to be proved wrong though!
Oh no worries, you didn't, I meant that part of interview! I asked because needed hope. I wish you are right. I had an idea for getting some news, but is playing dirty so I'll save it just in case there's nothing announced this year.

GR: You appeared quite prominently in 110 Industries’ Tokyo Game Show presentation last year and there were strong rumors about a partnership a few months ago. Are YS NET and 110 Industries currently working together on a new game?

A: I don’t know who started those rumors. 110 Industries approached us for an interview and we just answered their questions. I think the rumors are just rumors.

GR: In your experience, is it normal for a publisher to comment about a game that they have no connection with?

A: It’s not normal, no. I don’t have any comments about 110.

Well, you can still look at it from the 'so theres nothing going on' side
or from the 'oh theres something going on but he doesnt want to confirm it yet' side.
I dont see any real evidence for the pro or contra side. You can still think about it what you want

Personally that reads a hell of a lot like he genuinely is saying nothing is going on with 110 Industries and he doesn't understand why the rumours exist.

Back