110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Maybe yu would be better off employing some of this fanbase for the future of the series. Noone knows the series better than those who've followed it all this time. Individuals that know the current trends, what appeals and what doesn't and what's necessary and what isnt needed. Not saying he has/had a bad team they did well with what they had to work with but I think the fans know shenmue better and what would help elevate it.

There must be something going in between Ys Net and 110 Industries; if there is nothing going on why did they make that interview with Yu Suzuki and why bother responding to tweets from Shenmue Fans !?
My bet is that something is going on behind the cortains and this time around Yu Suzuki is being extra carefull due to the mistakes that happen with Shenmue 3; I think Yu Suzuki learned from the mistakes of the past and is only going to show something when it is perfect.

Did YS Net truly expand, or did they just get some cheap extra office space because COVID killed whoever was above them??

I'll stop being negative now :whistle:

Or is the team the exact same size, but they just expanded in terms of physical space to comply with ventilation and social distancing measures? lol

Not to keep relitigating Shenmue III, but feel a few posts spiralling a bit too close to "why didn't you just simply make the game BETTER, dummies???". We know how small that team is, we know how they basically had to start from scratch, and by most accounts they just ran out of time too. It is what it is, and they actually have something to build on next time.

Not to keep relitigating Shenmue III, but feel a few posts spiralling a bit too close to "why didn't you just simply make the game BETTER, dummies???". We know how small that team is, we know how they basically had to start from scratch, and by most accounts they just ran out of time too. It is what it is, and they actually have something to build on next time.
That's even if they get another chance.

I’m not trying to cater to anybody, just making an observation based on what Yu said in this recent interview and several of the others that preceded it. You may view the opinions of first time players as “trash,” but the team over at YS NET clearly doesn’t. As I said in my last post, I can certainly see why they’re keen to hear from everybody who played the game rather than just fans, as only addressing the complaints of hardcore fans will likely lead to another inaccessible game that flops financially. Personally, I’d like to see them earn a profit for all of their hard work this time around and I’m sure that they would too.

Also, nowhere does he say that he will be giving more weight to feedback from one particular group of players. As far as I read it, all of the feedback will be considered when making plans for the next game as well as their own experiences, not just feedback from those who are new to the series.

The one thing that I will agree with you on is that making the game more accessible without watering down the true Shenmue experience will be incredibly challenging. I expect the eventual solution will be them having two different modes (a more traditional “Shenmue” mode and then a casual mode with quest markers and the like), but only time will tell. Whatever the best solution is though, they’re not going to find it by only looking at one side of the picture.

I think there is a little misurunderstanding
with "people you are trying to cater", I was referring to YSNET / a future S4 publisher, not you tomboz.

Also the "trash feedback" didn't come mainly from newcomers. For example the few S3 newcomers I encountered were even positive or had at least some constructive feedback (that lead me to think that without tha KS hate campaign, S3 could've had a chance on the market).

Trust me A LOT of the toxic feedback came from fans (ex fans, let's called things with their name), the rest from people who barely touched the game and were there only to ruin the party.

I trust Yu Suzuki, but a big portion of the feedback he probably received, especially the most vocal, should be ignored.

Also why Shenmue 4 should be more "accessible", when the same market / industry can rewards "casual un-friendly" games like Dark Souls?

What prevented S3 from being successful is not the HUD, or the stamina - food system or the quest marker.
The problem was and will always be only one: MARKETING.

With good marketing you can sell basically anything, with bad marketing you can't sell even the best game in the world (Shenmue).

If they want to make Shenmue 4 a success, together with fixing the REAL issues and shortcoming of S3, they'll need a flawless marketing campaign.

I think a lot of the throwaway comments you see online about S3 being a "major disappointment" or similar are mostly from A) people who just watched a few YouTube videos and were never that interested in the first place, and B) Kickstarter backers who maybe gave the game a few hours before calling it quits because they didn't really know what they were backing.

That's not to say there aren't legitimate complaints from real fans -- of course there are, and we see them all the time on here -- but when reading the average Twitter comment about S3 or forum post, you can tell most of these people barely gave a shit in the first place, and even less actually played past the opening hours.

Nobody really knows how big Ys Net is. I assume there are at least 10 permanent staff and then some sort of reliable support teams they’ll continue working with. We see they continued working with Sugarcut and d.bas on Air Twister, whatever that means. The office thing could indeed be meaningless, but it’s certainly better than moving to a smaller office.

This is exactly what I thought. Possibly having two different modes, one that is a bit more action intense that progresses the story without too much waiting around and a mode that is really the definitive Shenmue experience that we've all come to know and love. Could even explain why Yu was holding out for a bigger budget for S4.
I completely agree that this is the best way to go, in theory, but considering the amount of work it would take for that to happen, and with the series's venture into DLC, I wonder if they would go a step further and release a 4.5 directors cut with the fans version and use Shenmue 4 for testing the waters with casual fans. We all know we would shell out for a second version. An extended revenue stream for S4 would also go a ways towards funding S5.

Last edited:
TGS is September right? That would put us at 2 yrs 10 months since Shenmue III release and about 2yrs 8mths since we know they were using the pitch video to potential publishers. The time is definetely right for a reveal I think.

Teyon who released their Terminator game the same week as Shenmue III announced their Robocop game a year ago and released the first gameplay trailer yesterday. They are a small deveoper on a similar staffing to YsNet so theres every potential their is enough footage for a reveal trailer providing it's been worked on...

Back