Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Tekken 7 (always Tekken 7)
PSN
danmann861
Steam
danielmann861
Simple question really. 2D or 3D fighters? Which do you prefer?

Me? I tend to go with 3D Fighters. I think I prefer the freedom of full 3D movement in 3D fighters over 2D's limited planes of movement. There is something so satsifying about pulling off a side step in a 3D fighter and taking back advantage.

I also kind of prefer the actual emphasis on martial arts over projectiles in the two big 3D franchises (Tekken and VF)...well, okay, more so VF as there is still plenty of 2D shit in later Tekken games, but the early Tekken games (1-3) did have something of an emphasis on martial arts over projectiles. I just like the emphasis on raw martial arts over flashy projectiles and such.

It's not that I hate 2D fighters, I mean I like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat as much as anyone else, but I just think I've always had more of a preference for 3D fighters just because I like the emphasis on capturing real martial arts. Or at least a stylized martial arts in terms of Tekken.

So what say you? Which do you prefer and why?

Last edited:
2D. Never played much 3d fighters apart from some VF 2, 3 and 4 "back in the day ", but I sure as heck played a whole lot of SF, KoF and CvS.

I like both in the same way. 3d can offer more gameplay wise, but the 2d fighters have a certain appeal thanks to their Art stye. The old Street Figher games still feel and play nice. The same goes for the other Capcom2d Fighters and also the awesome SNK stuff.

Both.
VF is my favourite one, also like 3D stuff such as Soul Calibur or DOA.
2D Garou, CVS2, SFA2...
I like both, and that's cool.

In the 1990's I'd go with 2D. I preferred MK1 and MK2 over all the 3D fighters, however having multiple Tekken, Virtua Fighter and DOA games combined weighed heavily against the first 3 MK games for me at that time. I didn't like Street Fighter, Darkstalkers or KoF/Fatal Fury so the 3D titles had much more variety of great fighters, but I'm an MK person first.

In the current day, 3D all the way for sure. Are there even 2D fighters anymore? This also applies to playing retro games. I have no interest in MK1 or MK2 25 years later, they haven't aged well while Tekken 3 and Virtua Fighter 2 are still playable.

It is irrelevant to me as all I want from a fighting game is a deep combat system and a balanced roster of characters. When you have great fighters in two dimensions such as Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core and in three dimensions like Virtua Fighter, it becomes irrelevant to me.

Back