A Gamer's Journey (Shenmue Documentary) goes to Kickstarter

Really sad for Adam and team they couldn’t get this on major streaming platform but appreciate the work and effort it’s taken so far. From the update-

5. After a number of crushed deal hopes, a deal killed by European macroeconomics and another killed by the crypto crash, we have finally just finished negotiations with a distributor to get the movie out to the widest possible audience. They have plans that include putting the movie on a FAST (free, ad-supported TV service) along with a number of other venues. The deal is not anything like what we'd hoped, but that's the nature of the business these days, as far as it for us.

Hoping for best guys!

Not the actual film but a test of the trapsheet I did using my copy of RDR2 :giggle: It looks a lot better irl.

Not sure if anyone saw the latest update on the Kickstarter page but the company we are working with in BC sent proofs of all the digital and print materials so I printed out a copy at my local print shop just to see what it would look like in a BR case.

Everything looks like it's working so far. Going to go over it again just to make sure there isn't any weird frame drops or glitches but I'll most likely approve it in the next day or 2 and then they will start manufacturing our order.

For those looking to get a physical copy to add to their collection: We will have leftovers from this first run and will set up some sort of online store a little down the road once we've shipped to the KS backers.

Attachments

• 20230320_090219.jpg
    20230320_090219.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
@Adam0 I need a copy since I was late to the backing party. That's why I did wish you did a slacker backer but ya never did cause i sure would have got on board.

For those looking to get a physical copy to add to their collection: We will have leftovers from this first run and will set up some sort of online store a little down the road once we've shipped to the KS backers.

Awesome! Definitely need one ✌🏽

Hey everyone,

Since this whole documentary thing is basically at the end of it's journey I thought now would be a good time to share these photos I've been sitting on. Im sure you are all familiar with these images from the panel Yu san gave a while back. These were some of the assets we got to take photos of when we went to Japan. These show up a few times in the doc. It was really cool seeing them up close!

Attachments

• A6504883.jpg
    A6504883.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 127
  • A6504884.jpg
    A6504884.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
  • A6504885.jpg
    A6504885.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
  • A6504886.jpg
    A6504886.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • A6504887.jpg
    A6504887.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • A6504888.jpg
    A6504888.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
Hey everyone,

Since this whole documentary thing is basically at the end of it's journey I thought now would be a good time to share these photos I've been sitting on. Im sure you are all familiar with these images from the panel Yu san gave a while back. These were some of the assets we got to take photos of when we went to Japan. These show up a few times in the doc. It was really cool seeing them up close!

Adam, i would like to buy a copy of the documentary, when is available to buy please share here.

I remember when i tried to find on internet this beautiful arts by Kenji Miyawaki in high quality, but i never had a success about this, it was frustrating at that time when i tried.

It's a big moment for the Shenmue Community in my opinion, these wonderful arts are an important piece of VF RPG/Shenmue history, for so long we only had low quality resolution versions of these arts, now we finally have in high quality. There are 11 arts in total of the chapters cards, would be nice if we can see the other arts someday too.

So beautiful to finally see 6 of the chapters concept arts in high quality for the first time, now we can finally see all the details in this beautiful arts, and now i can use the arts for my Shenmue Book Series Project.Thank you so much for sharing the arts. ❤️

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

This is amazing to finally be able to see them like this, thanks so much, and please lmk when you have physical copies, I really wish I could have backed!

I was only given these 6 art pieces from the set to shoot. Either a strategic move or that was all they had on hand. Was feeling grateful for whatever I could get so didn't want to press for more.

Thank you so much for sharing these. I hope they generate a lot of discussion as I believe, despite changes and alternations to the story these story beats and events will likely remain very similar.

I do wonder out loud if strategically if Suzuki did not provide you with later images for fear of revealing end story elements.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Amazing picture, Adam. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing the documentary.

Incredible stuff. I feel sad that i'm not able to delve into the lore as much as others can, but seeing this artwork is glorious (the terror train is scary stuff!). Imagine if these were made available as A1/A2 art with quality paper stock. I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Back