Adult Swim Broadcast Ratings

Episode 10 ratings:

Show Ranking - #50 in key demographic for Apr 9th
Total viewers - 198,000 (-53,000 from last week)

18-49 demo: 0.08 (-0.05)
12-34 demo: 0.08
25-54 demo: 0.09
50+ demo: 0.06

This was an odd week. Shenmue had a huge drop off with 18-49 men compared to the previous week and 18-49 women tuned in at a higher rate. Take a look at last column in these chart images to compare:

April 2 -
Screenshot 2022-04-12 075555.png
Screenshot 2022-04-12 075632.png
April 9 -
Screenshot 2022-04-12 075701.png

It seems like an anomaly considering young men are the target audience for Toonami. My best guess is a lot of the audience was instead watching the UFC event, which was all over my Twitter feed and wrapping up it's main event match right as Shenmue started airing. The only sporting events I see on the calendar for this upcoming Saturday are the NBA Playoff games, which will be finished by the time Toonami starts. We'll see if there's a bounce upward in the ratings to back up my theory.

Shenmue lead Toonami again. Attack on Titan following dropped off to 160k (0.07 in 18-49), and Assassination Classroom gained back some viewers with 175k (0.08 in 18-49).

Updated Season Averages:
Weekly Average Total Viewership: 232,500
Weekly Average rating in 18-49 demo: 0.11 (no change)

Finally, I'd like to remind people not to get too hung up on a single week's ratings performance as a strong barometer of the show's success or failure. I'm saying this because I've noticed more people are looking at the ratings and sharing them on socials as evidence of how the show is doing. The GameRant article covering the Shenmue 4 rumors even cited this thread as evidence of anime's success.

Keep in mind that the live broadcast rating is only a fraction of the show's audience. Most of it's viewership numbers are hidden to the general public. We aren't going to be able to measure how many are watching on Crunchyroll, Adult Swim streaming, late DVR recordings, and HBO Max when the show eventually hits that service. These ratings should only be looked at to see how the show is doing with people that tune into Toonami as a weekly viewing ritual. For those people, Shenmue seems to be doing pretty well.

Jason DeMarco (head of Toonami) has said in the past not to look at the ratings chart as the only way to measure the success of the Toonami block. The same applies here to Shenmue.

Last edited:
Viewer fatigue is common in these months considering all of the college basketball games, wrestling promotions (including Wrestlemania last week) and the UFC PPV was definitely super hype, it was all over my Twitter page as well and Dave Meltzer was saying the PPV buys seemed promising.

That being said, the show is now 10 episodes in, people's curiosity usually looms around this period because it's too deep in for a newcomer to just bounce into it. The ratings will likely be a little higher this weekend, but not by much, the finale viewership is what's going to matter and probably be one of the higher ratings for the show.

Episode 11 ratings:

Show Ranking - #38 in key demographic for Apr 16th
Total viewers - 261,000 (+63,000 from last week)

18-49 demo: 0.11 (+0.03)
12-34 demo: 0.11
25-54 demo: 0.12

Nice bump back up this week. The 18-49 male demographic returned to regular viewership levels so I do think the UFC event was responsible for the drop in ratings last week. I don't see any major overlapping events coming up this Saturday.

As we expect at this point, Shenmue was #1 on the Toonami block. Attack on Titan at 12:30 dropped to 198k (0.08 in 18-49) and Assassination Classroom at 01:00 brought in 205k (0.09 in 18-49).

Updated Season Averages:
Weekly Average Total Viewership: 235,090 (+2,590)

Episode 11 ratings:

Show Ranking - #38 in key demographic for Apr 16th
Total viewers - 261,000 (+63,000 from last week)

18-49 demo: 0.11 (+0.03)
12-34 demo: 0.11

Nice bump back up this week. The 18-49 male demographic returned to regular viewership levels so I do think the UFC event was responsible for the drop in ratings last week. I don't see any major overlapping events coming up this Saturday.

As we expect at this point, Shenmue was #1 on the Toonami block. Attack on Titan at 12:30 dropped to 198k (0.08 in 18-49) and Assassination Classroom at 01:00 brought in 205k (0.09 in 18-49).

Updated Season Averages:
Weekly Average Total Viewership: 235,090 (+2,590)

Thank you for this. Always love seeing your name pop up in the notifications for this thread!

@SplashBreeze Is there any way you could do a comparison between the viewers/ratings of Shenmue and Fena Pirate Princess using the showbiz and/or other sites? Fena was a Crunchyroll and adultswim original as well.

@SplashBreeze Is there any way you could do a comparison between the viewers/ratings of Shenmue and Fena Pirate Princess using the showbiz and/or other sites? Fena was a Crunchyroll and adultswim original as well.
Kind related but I just compared Blade Runner's Episode 12 to Shenmue Episode 12 and

BR 141,000
SH 261,000

Worth noting BR jumped to 251,000 for it's episode 13 finale so Shenmue should hopefully get a big jump this week too

I looked for Fena and could only see FENA at 0.07/113K for it's final episode (or at least the last one listed, which was in december)

Last edited:
Sure, I can put together a table later this week. I did a cursory glance a while back and the general narrative I came away with was that Fena started the strongest of the three but faded away as the season wore on. Blade Runner was more consistent across its season but somewhat lower performing than Shenmue.

Last edited:
Episode 12 ratings:

Show Ranking - #30 in key demographic for Apr 23rd
Total viewers - 278,000 (+17,000 from last week)

18-49 demo: 0.12 (+0.01)
12-34 demo: 0.14
50+ demo: 0.08

The show moved up again a small amount from last week so that‘s nice to see. Toonami had a fairly strong night overall with Shenmue leading. Attack on Titan at 12:30 pulled 216k (0.11 in 18-49) and Assassination Classroom at 01:00 was viewed by 183k (0.09 in 18-49).

Next week’s major live events are the late rounds of the NFL Draft and NBA playoff games. Those should be wrapped up before Shenmue’s season finale airs, so no major competition to speak of on the ratings front.

Updated Season Averages:
Weekly Average Total Viewership: 238,667 (+3,577)

Sure, I can put together a table later this week. I did a cursory glance a a while back and the general narrative I came away with was that Fena started the strongest of the three but faded away as the season wore on. Blade Runner was more consistent across its season but somewhat lower performing than Shenmue.

Thanks Splash. Much appreciated

Episode 12 ratings:

Show Ranking - #30 in key demographic for Apr 23rd
Total viewers - 278,000 (+17,000 from last week)

18-49 demo: 0.12 (+0.01)
12-34 demo: 0.14
50+ demo: 0.08

The show moved up again a small amount from last week so that‘s nice to see. Toonami had a fairly strong night overall with Shenmue leading. Attack on Titan at 12:30 pulled 216k (0.11 in 18-49) and Assassination Classroom at 01:00 was viewed by 183k (0.09 in 18-49).

Next week’s major live events are the late rounds of the NFL Draft and NBA playoff games. Those should be wrapped up before Shenmue’s season finale airs, so no major competition to speak of on the ratings front.

Updated Season Averages:
Weekly Average Total Viewership: 238,667 (+3,577)

Great news. Let's hope we have a big send off for the finale

Kind related but I just compared Blade Runner's Episode 12 to Shenmue Episode 12 and

BR 141,000
SH 261,000

Worth noting BR jumped to 251,000 for it's episode 13 finale so Shenmue should hopefully get a big jump this week too

I looked for Fena and could only see FENA at 0.07/113K for it's final episode (or at least the last one listed, which was in december)
Thanks. I know Adultswim was up for a season 2 of FENA, but the creator declined. Hopefully Shenmue batters it in the ratings and leads to a potential season 2

Thanks. I know Adultswim was up for a season 2 of FENA, but the creator declined. Hopefully Shenmue batters it in the ratings and leads to a potential season 2

If Shenmue could pull in over 300K for the finale that's nearly triple Fena's, so that'd be a very good sign indeed

Thanks Splash. Much appreciated

Great news. Let's hope we have a big send off for the finale

The board's table maker didn't support enough rows so I have a screenshot of the comparison instead.

Ratings Comparison Adult Swim Originals.png

Shenmue will end up the second highest rated of the bunch, despite stronger initial interest for Blade Runner. This will be thanks to its better consistency week to week, never dropping down to the low points the other two shows experienced. Fena did very well starting off, but as you can see had a major decline halfway through the season.

I'll update this after the season finale airs.

Last edited:
The board's table maker didn't support enough rows so I have a screenshot instead of the comparison instead.

View attachment 15275

Shenmue will end up the second highest rated of the bunch, despite stronger initial interest for Blade Runner. This will be thanks to its better consistency week to week, never dropping down to the low points the other two shows experienced. Fena did very well starting off, but as you can see had a major decline halfway through the season.

I'll update this after the season finale airs.
Thank you splash. Awesome work. That really puts things into perspective

Back