Air Twister at TGS 2023

Peter

Administrator

Yu Suzuki will be live and doing a special broadcast for Air Twister. Not sure where it will be broadcast though. Could be worth a watch.

i wish it had English subtitle

Seeing Yu talk about video games always brings a smile to my face. He was definitely showing his age a little when he first came out onto the stage, but once he started to get into it you could see the years rolling back. Dude just want to make games. I really hope he gets to make Shenmue 4; for him, more than for us.

Seeing Yu talk about video games always brings a smile to my face. He was definitely showing his age a little when he first came out onto the stage, but once he started to get into it you could see the years rolling back. Dude just want to make games. I really hope he gets to make Shenmue 4; for him, more than for us.

Yeah he was walking a little gingerly at the start and was showing a little but more visible signs of his age. With that said even though I couldn’t understand presentation it’s always good to see the man talking about video games and creative endeavours.

It also was a lovely showcase of amazing music in Air Twister.

Youtube has an auto translator which is pretty bad but you can understand what they are saying (barely). They mainly talk about Air Twister and things we already know. The presentation is clearly aimed at potential new fans who are hearing about the game for the first time.

I'm glad that Yu Suzuki, even at retirement age, still has a passion for gaming. I hope more people see the game because it's cool! :cool:

For those interested, Yu Suzuki also featured on an IGN Japan livestream on day 3 of TGS, during which, he and Esra spoke a little about Shenmue. As far as I could make out there was nothing new other than Mr. Suzuki reaffirming that he still wants to make another Shenmue game, though perhaps @Switch may be able to shed some more light on exactly what was said (it was right at the end after they stopped playing AT).

For those interested, Yu Suzuki also featured on an IGN Japan livestream on day 3 of TGS, during which, he and Esra spoke a little about Shenmue. As far as I could make out there was nothing new other than Mr. Suzuki reaffirming that he still wants to make another Shenmue game, though perhaps @Switch may be able to shed some more light on exactly what was said (it was right at the end after they stopped playing AT).

Picking out a few key parts quickly:
  • (Asked about Air Twister being a throwback to the arcade games he created in the past, while at the same time having a new feel): "The concept and what I want to do has generally remained the same, but what can or can't be done depends on the technology that's available at that point in time. This time I used a game engine called Unreal, and this [game footage] is how it turned out",
  • (Asked if he would like to create further games like Air Twister that are based on his arcade classics): Yu said he would like to make a set of around 6 arcade games
  • The development duration for Air Twister was around a year and a half
Relating to Shenmue:
  • Esra teased that the Limited Special Edition of Air Twister includes a book that has an extended interview with Yu Suzuki held over the course of 3 hours with a fair amount of Shenmue-related content, including stories not heard before.
  • (When asked if he wants to continue with game development in general - not specifically Shenmue related): "I can't say specifically but we're working on something at the moment. I can't say more than that at the moment".
  • At TGS today, Yu said he met a lot of people who say Shenmue changed their lives, or inspired them to develop games themelves.
  • Esra: It's been four years since Shenmue 3 was released. Are you still wanting to continue on with Shenmue?
    YS: Of course. Because it's still part-way through.
    Esra: So it sounds like you have a lot of possibilities, including Shenmue, arcade style games, as well as a lot of other ideas?
    YS: Yes, there's a lot I'd like to do.. if I have the opportunity. If I meet the right people, or can find the right partner.
    Esra: Publishers, if you are listening, please get in touch!

Last edited:
Picking out a few key parts quickly:
  • (Asked about Air Twister being a throwback to the arcade games he created in the past, while at the same time having a new feel): "The concept and what I want to do has generally remained the same, but what can or can't be done depends on the technology that's available at that point in time. This time I used a game engine called Unreal, and this [game footage] is how it turned out",
  • (Asked if he would like to create further games like Air Twister that are based on his arcade classics): Yu said he would like to make a set of around 6 arcade games
  • The development duration for Air Twister was around a year and a half
Relating to Shenmue:
  • Esra teased that the Limited Edition of Air Twister includes a book that has an extended interview with Yu Suzuki held over the course of 3 hours with a fair amount of Shenmue-related content, including stories not heard before.
  • (When asked if he wants to continue with game development in general - not specifically Shenmue related): "I can't say specifically but we're working on something at the moment. I can't say more than that at the moment".
  • At TGS today, Yu said he met a lot of people who say Shenmue changed their lives, or inspired them to develop games themelves.
  • Esra: It's been four years since Shenmue 3 was released. Are you still wanting to continue on with Shenmue?
    YS: Of course. Because it's still part-way through.
    Esra: So it sounds like you have a lot of possibilities, including Shenmue, arcade style games, as well as a lot of other ideas?
    YS: Yes, there's a lot I'd like to do.. if I have the opportunity. If I meet the right people, or can find the right partner.
    Esra: Publishers, if you are listening, please get in touch!
He's eluded to another project in the interview we did with him. I'm pleased it seems to be moving nicely and can't wait to see what it is.

I'm very interested to see what this interview is in the Air Twister Special Edition. Currently only the JP version of that is on sale so I am hoping that makes its way to us as well with a translation.

I guess the last comment sorta confirms what we know about Shenmue 4 - he's still after someone to help him make/publish it. Fingers crossed he managed to have some discussions with publishers while at TGS.

Back