Air Twister Reviews Topic

List all the Reviews for Air Twister here.

James and I released ours this morning:

I don't normally read reviews, but I appreciate the write-up here. One question I have is about the Tap Breaker minigame: does mouse input work? I'm planning on playing it on my Steam Deck, and tapping the screen results in a left-mouse click occurring at the location you touched. I figure I can just do that for the minigame as long as mouse control works in it.

I don't normally read reviews, but I appreciate the write-up here. One question I have is about the Tap Breaker minigame: does mouse input work? I'm planning on playing it on my Steam Deck, and tapping the screen results in a left-mouse click occurring at the location you touched. I figure I can just do that for the minigame as long as mouse control works in it.
Yes it does you can use either controller or mouse + keyboard in the setup

I'll be interested to see how it uses the Steam Deck touch screen and whether it's similar to the Switch?

Great review guys, it was a pleasure to read.

For me, one of the most interesting things about the game when I played it on Apple Arcade was the many leaderboards. The game has many modes, many difficulties, and it was super fun to play a less played mode and get into the TOP 100 or TOP 20.

I previously played it on Apple tv with a gamepad and now I ordered the Switch version to try out the touch controls. I know that Apple phones/TV boxes after 2018 are slightly more powerful than Switch. Graphics are not a problem for me.

My question is, are Switch leaderboards really blocked by a pay wall? Nintendo Switch online is the only system in the world that still charges for uploading high scores. Is Air Twister affected by this issue? I just realized, but if that's the case and I can't upload the results and compare them to other people, maybe I made a mistake ordering the Switch version.

Paying €4 a month to upload your High Score is insane, when the whole Apple Arcade is €5 a month. Can anyone confirm this? Not being able to compete in the game stats with other players will spoil my experience a lot.

Last edited:
Great review guys, it was a pleasure to read.

For me, one of the most interesting things about the game when I played it on Apple Arcade was the many leaderboards. The game has many modes, many difficulties, and it was super fun to play a less played mode and get into the TOP 100 or TOP 20.

I previously played it on Apple tv with a gamepad and now I ordered the Switch version to try out the touch controls. I know that Apple phones/TV boxes after 2018 are slightly more powerful than Switch. Graphics are not a problem for me.

My question is, are Switch leaderboards really blocked by a pay wall? Nintendo Switch online is the only system in the world that still charges for uploading high scores. Is Air Twister affected by this issue? I just realized, but if that's the case and I can't upload the results and compare them to other people, maybe I made a mistake ordering the Switch version.

Paying €4 a month to upload your High Score is insane, when the whole Apple Arcade is €5 a month. Can anyone confirm this? Not being able to compete in the game stats with other players will spoil my experience a lot.
If it makes any difference we didn't see any sort of leaderboards across these versions of the games. We may have missed it but it didn't stand out if there is one.

That's unfotunate. :crying:

Apple Arcade leadearboards are sooooo good! I had never seen such a detailed comparison of stats between players before. There were at least 30 different leaderboards for the different levels, modes and difficulties. It was so addicting to get your name up front somewhere. There was a reason to try each mode and unlock new stages. I think the game wouldn't be as addictive without them, but I guess they had some reason to remove them....

The problem with the Nintendo online system has been fundamentally solved, i guess... :D The Apple version will probably still be "definitive", but at least we'll have the game on physical copy for casual, non competitive play...

If it makes any difference we didn't see any sort of leaderboards across these versions of the games. We may have missed it but it didn't stand out if there is one.
I've played the game on switch today and I can confirm that I don't see leaderboards anywhere either.

I wonder if the situation is the same with Xbox and playstation. If someone bought the game for these platforms, can they confirm? On the Xbox, in general, there are many interesting stats in the achievements option. For example, Shenmue II remaster gives you statistics on how many times you beat arm wrestling, how many new moves you learned, and you can compare it with friends. I wonder if the Xbox version will have something different that the others don't.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDEEEE, this game is fucking awesome!!! :love:👀🍆 That's my professional review. Holy SHIT I am loving this way more than I expected to, GOTY for me already. Only got to play around 2 hours, had to tear myself away so I can actually get some work done today (after this post...). I was really underestimating the enemy attack hitbox sizes, homing properties, and general difficulty ramp-up on my first playthrough. Very nice surprise.

Anyways, for those wondering, it does indeed run on Steam Deck. Touch screen also works exactly as you'd expect for the Tap Breaker minigame, as well as for shooting anywhere on screen separate of movement much like the Switch version.

Yeah, it was definitely love at first play for me.

When I found out I couldn't get the physical release from any of my usual shops I got the Steam version from their store.

Just played my first few sessions today and got to Stage 8 on my first attempt (I'm not great at Arcade-style games). After that I got a bit lost in the Skill Tree, additional Game Modes and tried out a lot of what was available/unlockable to me at that point.

So some quick first thoughts after messing around with the game:

The Good
+ The game is fun to play. Better than expected, actually. The simple, Arcade-style gameplay just works and is a throwback to oldskool SEGA/YS classics.
+ The stages I've played thus far are creative and interesting visually.
+ I know it's a bit polarizing, but the soundtrack works for me. And I'm not even a big fan of Queen or that type of music in general.
+ Since this is a straightforward port of a mobile release, this runs fine.
+ They've added some extra depth by having things like a skill-tree and world-building/lore (for those interested).
+ Tons of unlockable content that's unlocked by actually playing the game, not by throwing money at it.*
+ A low price-tag.

*Hope I'm not jinxing anything here lol.

The Bad
- It's only been out for a short time, but game isn't flawless yet: At one point the game made my PC freeze up to the point I had to manually reboot. And I was just browsing the menu. I didn't get much from Windows event logs, but got the impression it's some sort of memory leak that can occur under certain circumstances. Some hotfixes/patches are needed to iron out (potentially) critical issues. Not sure if we'll actually get them, though.
- While I have no issue with straight ports, the UI and paltry availability of settings scream mobile game. It's functional and it works, but a beefed up UI would have been nice.
- I like the character and stage design, but YS Net still seems to have issues with facial animations. So far I certainly haven't seen much expressions going on with Princess Arch (?), at least.

Additional Notes
* Air Twister added as an Arcade game in Shenmue IV seems like a no-brainer.
* Not only does the game have obvious ties to Space Harrier, there's definitely also some Panzer Dragoon in there.

I think that mostly sums up my initial thoughts. This is a typical game I'll randomly return to for a quick round.
Looking forward to discovering more fun stuff.

Last edited:
Back