AM2 X Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio: the state of teams and a possibility for Shenmue 4

Until now it was a pipe dream, but for Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown, AM2 and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio are making a collaboration.

Team AM2 shrinked a lot in the last decade, and some of its people are now working for Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio, as it shows with VF5 Ultimate, as it's clearly developed by the Yakuza team (same engine, same artistic design).

But this open now new possibilities, a collaboration between the two is possible (even if the majority of manpower come from Yakuza studio), so what about other AM2 IPs?

And Shenmue 4.
Nowe there is a real chance to have a Shenmue 4 made by Am2 and RGG (and I hope YSNet, otherwise it's not Shenmue), to share the same Yakuza engine, and finally have the Virtua Fighter engine (maybe updated to the latest Ultimate Showdown) back for battles.

What do you think?

I think Shenmue IV need all the possible help. In my opinion this would be the best. Imagine doing Shenmue IV and V at the same time like Shenmue I and II and end the saga once and for all.

yeah that would be amazing.

Having Shenmue 4 and 5 as a pair, the help of both Am2 and RGG, the know how and resources of RGG (dragon engine), and last the fact that both team are fresh with the new Virtua Fighter Ultimate, so it would be a breeze to reuse the VF mechanics for Shenmue battle system.

I am a firm believer Ysnet need to build on the foundations of Shenmue 3 in a forth game and that includes Unreal Engine 4.

With that said if we could get Sega’s support and they use Dragon Engine and can utilize the fighting mechanics from upcoming VF game, that would be a dream.

I am a firm believer Ysnet need to build on the foundations of Shenmue 3 in a forth game and that includes Unreal Engine 4.

With that said if we could get Sega’s support and they use Dragon Engine and can utilize the fighting mechanics from upcoming VF game, that would be a dream.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I couldn't have said it better. Yu needs to build upon the unreal engine 4 for IV. Having Sega involved in anyway would be ideal even as a support role I would take it in a heartbeat.

I prefer Unreal 4 as well especially looking at Shenmue 3 results compared to Yakuza games, and Unreal 5 seems a dream and could be great for Shenmue 4 and 5.

But at the same time, having a Sega's Shenmue 4 made with Dragon Engine and again with virtua Fighter battle system, it would be wonderful.

But in both scenarios Yu Suzuki direction is mandatory..

I don't see a situation where Suzuki and Nagoshi get along enough to have Shenmue developed under RGG Studio's supervision. Would be a dream scenario if it happened though.

Yeah, I don't see it happening. Hate to be that guy, but I really don't see it happening. I think Sega is more content making occasional bucks off the merchandise more than they are financing an actual Shenmue IV.

If Yu Suzuki is given complete creative control of direction, story and character development and more importantly Tosh Nagoishi is not involved with Shenmue 4/5 at all in any way shape or form then I'm all in on Sega using the developers of the Yakuza studio and their talent to closely follow and take orders on anything Yu decides. Essentially, Sega funding Shenmue and using one of its main teams to work on a game that is brilliant. In this case two positives happen, Shenmue gets made with funding by the guy who created it and at the same time another Yakuza title will not be able to be developed, nor will Tosh influence/taint or rush Shenmue again. Its a win win.

Will this happen? Next to zero chance.

IF Sega were to touch Shenmue again they'd probably give free reign to the Yakuza studio, which would be the worst thing that could happen to it. I'd rather see EA or 2K games touch it first, which says a lot. I'm hoping Yu can get funded elsewhere and most importantly doesn't give us 15 minutes of story progress like he did with Shenmue 3. Its time to wrap it up, he may never have another chance to do so financially, and with his age I'd love to see the game conclude before he retires or dies and is left in development hell or with a lesser quality of person/studio...aka Nagoishi and the Yakuza team.

A Nagoshi's Shenmue would just be a reskinned version of Yakuza, so it's something to avoid.
We just need Sega's resources, but Nagoshi influences should remain minimum.
Hypothetically if this were to be made I'd prefer Nagoshi to not even be in the building while Shenmue is being made. The guys energy and personal approach is the polar opposite of Yu's, hence why the Yakuza games feel nothing like Shenmue, and Shenmue feels nothing like Yakuza.

It's true, while Nagoshi could've been Suzuki's pupil, they have opposite approach.
Suzuki is a real genius, and a genius can't have self control.
While Nagoshi is very talented but he is more a manager-type.

I think Sega needs both series especially because they are so different.

It's true, while Nagoshi could've been Suzuki's pupil, they have opposite approach.
Suzuki is a real genius, and a genius can't have self control.
While Nagoshi is very talented but he is more a manager-type.

I think Sega needs both series especially because they are so different.
Yeah, and Nagoshi and Suzuki's difference in energy shows in the direction and energy of their games. Shallow, dark and worldly fits Nagoshis style whereas Suzuki has depth, spiritual components and a purpose behind his story telling. Soulful .vs. soul-less kind of difference in their vibes.

I don't see what difference it'd make if the developers used the Dragon Engine. It's not like Virtua Fighter 5 feels like a Yakuza game. "Shallow" might be necessary to move the story along and complete the series. Do we really want to spend all our free time throwing balls into buckets & opening drawers four or five games into the series? But I don't really see how the engine used affects that.

I don't mind if Dragon engine was used for Shenmue, but I do want them to use unreal as well since they spent so much time and money building from scratch and feels great

I think Nagoishi has enough respect for Suzuki not to meddle with direction or productions if Sega did get involved with Shenmue 4 or Shen5

Boring ass chopping wood and "ImPrOvE yOuR kUnG fU" is soulful
Actually fun to play work like the taxi driver from Ryu 5 is soulless.
I understood...

A Shenmue by RGG would at worst be a game that works, unlike Shenmue 3. Nothing can be worse produced, written and developed than that.

RGGS wouldn't turn Shenmue into Ryu Ga Gotoku simply because they make that games. They know that are completely different games.
The ideal would be to have Suzuki-san as director/co-director and writer/based on a story of his.

I think where RGG studio provides the most value is creating the character models that would look like a more accurate representation of the Dreamcast art style in a higher resolution. I've always felt like the amount of effort that it would take to create certain characters in the Shenmue series would be cut in half if it was done internally within Sega.

They could basically up-res passport Ryo and the others and then it's off to the races for Shenmue IV.

Back