An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is an anime I hope they recast basically all of the voices. I like the English VA for Ren so I'd welcome them bringing him back, but for the most part I would prefer new, fresh, professional voice actors to give their takes on the characters. At the very least please recast Ryo 🙇‍♂️

It is an anime though so they might only do subs for the English version to appease the nerds, which I would support.
It would probably be better and cheaper for the project to recast (assuming there will even be an English dub, that is). At this point I’m not sure I really care. Maybe keeping the original cast would help fans that don’t like anime to connect with the project, but personally I can’t see myself taking any enjoyment from it regardless of who is in it.

Put it this way they're not going to announce (in my view) something that goes beyond Shenmue III when sales aren't over and we've got the Steam release to come.

I think we will be OK.

If it has an English dub, they need to at the very least recast Ryo (sorry Corey!)
It depends who they’re making it for, but if the hope is to bring in new fans, I have to agree with you. Corey will always be Ryo, but I think that an anime would have a better chance of success without him.

Maybe that’s the ‘sour’ DG was referring to? No original cast. Or no English dub at all.

It depends who they’re making it for, but if the hope is to bring in new fans, I have to agree with you. Corey will always be Ryo, but I think that an anime would have a better chance of success without him.

Maybe that’s the ‘sour’ DG was referring to? No original cast. Or no English dub at all.

Masaya is a talented madlad & the iconic voice as Ryo. It's be a shame if he's recasted too. Corey maybe not necessary, but Masaya must reprise the role. Plus JP fandom are very picky with their VAs compared to the west once they're solidified as the face of a char role.

My guess is an anime movie set between Shenmue 1 and 2 and the movie is titled "the Boat Chapter". I think next to Shenmue 3 and 4 the boat chapter is the most requested thing to Yu, this might be a way of giving us what us fans wants.

Masaya is a talented madlad & the iconic voice as Ryo. It's be a shame if he's recasted too. Corey maybe not necessary, but Masaya must reprise the role. Plus JP fandom are very picky with their VAs compared to the west once they're solidified as the face of a char role.
I see your point, but that didn’t stop them recasting Ren and Shenhua for the Japanese dub of Shenmue 3. It’s definitely more likely that they keep Masaya than Corey, but it’s not like Shenmue has a massive fandom here that would necessitate keeping Masaya on, especially if their aim is to increase the size of the Shenmue fan base. If cost is an issue (which seems likely), I wouldn’t be surprised to see an entirely new cast and in the case of the English dub (assuming we get one), this would probably make an anime more appealing to casuals.

It depends who they’re making it for, but if the hope is to bring in new fans, I have to agree with you.

I would imagine they would be doing this to try to broaden Shenmue's appeal and reach a new crowd. I could be wrong, but if it were just for fans I wouldn't personally see the point of it.

I would imagine they would be doing this to try to broaden Shenmue's appeal and reach a new crowd. I could be wrong, but if it were just for fans I wouldn't personally see the point of it.
We should get a clearer indication of this with the announcement. If they plan to tell the story from the beginning, I think it’s safe to assume that their aim is to attract a new audience. If it just retells the story of S3 and fills in some of the gaps, it’s for the existing fan base.

As much as I dislike anime, I can see the logic of switching mediums if funding for a fourth game can’t be secured as not only could this potentially bring in new fans to the series, but also remove what I’d consider to be the biggest barrier preventing new players from picking up a fourth game.

At the moment, if they were to release Shenmue 4, anybody new to the series wanting to pick it up would have to play through two twenty year old games and then a third which, by all accounts, is not what the developer had in mind when starting the project. An anime retelling the story of these games would offer what some might consider to be a more palatable option.

Personally I think they’ll struggle to translate the things that make the series so wonderful into a purely visual medium and any audience that such an anime might attract might not necessarily be the kind of people who would enjoy a Shenmue game. Of course, if an anime were to attract a sizable following, it might at least give Yu the leverage needed to secure funding for a fourth game, so every cloud. Whether the anime would then have an impact on the style and tone of future games does worry me though.

Likewise, an anime filling in some of the gaps from Shenmue 3’s story might appease some of the fans who felt short-changed by the game, but I can’t help but feel that the money would be better spent securing a fourth game as were they to pick up at the beginning of the third game and take the story through to the start of Shenmue 4 it would be just as inaccessible as a fourth game for people unfamiliar with the Shenmue story.

I think that if they are going down the anime route, it would only really make sense to start at the beginning and plan to see the story through to the end. Anime is cheaper to produce than a game, but they’ll still want to see a return - and telling a story without a conclusion has very little chance of generating revenue.

Whatever it is, I do not think I am going to be impressed. I hate to negative, but that stuff this Dusk Golem guy is mentioning sounds just boring. I just want Shenmue 4.

But that's just me of Course. There might be People that like the upcoming stuff. And that is cool.

I am just tired of this vague annocuments.

Whatever it is, I do not think I am going to be impressed. I hate to negative, but that stuff this Dusk Golem guy is mentioning sounds just boring. I just want Shenmue 4.

But that's just me of Course. There might be People that like the upcoming stuff. And that is cool.

I am just tired of this vague annocuments.
I think I’m in the same boat, although if it does turn out to be an anime I’ll be happy for the ‘Mue fans that are into that kind of thing.

If it's a DLC, besides writing I hope they rework battle system to be lag-free and camera lock to be optional

But hey everything seems to be pointing to an anime or manga at this point.

I just wish I had some indication as to where to experience this announcement live but I'm sure I'll find out asap sticking around here :)

I just wish I had some indication as to where to experience this announcement live but I'm sure I'll find out asap sticking around here :)
Yeah. Weird to leak info about a big announcement but not tell us where to expect it. To be fair, if it is the new project between crunchy roll and adult swim set to be announced at the crunchy roll expo, telling us to watch that show would kind of let the cat out of the bag.

I'm going to be really blunt and probably out of step with the rest of you, but if Shenmue 4 played just like Shenmue 3, honestly I'd probably prefer an anime right now... Shenmue 4 needs to be drastically different from 3 to get me interested again. The battle system needs to change, the UI needs to change, the way the plot unfolds and the story is told needs to change, the voice acting needs to change, the direction needs to change and so on...

Just realised something: doesn't Brianna Knickerbocker (Shenhua) voice a tonne of anime?

She'd be perfect to bring back for a Shenmue series!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back