An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember guys Cedric also has the astroboy reboot they're working on, he could be tuning in for that as well. I hope there is shenmue there however lol

No idea, i mean you can already see the full Crunchyroll schedule for every section / stage whatever
and there is no Shenmue, Sega, Shibuya Prod or any references in there

There’s a surprise announcement at 12, but it has to do with Adult Swim.

No idea, i mean you can already see the full Crunchyroll schedule for every section / stage whatever
and there is no Shenmue, Sega, Shibuya Prod or any references in there

Sega has a history of dropping content with little to no warnings to retailers. Just look at how the handled the Saturn, Sega only sent a handful to a few retailers and it could be argued that only the weakest retailers ended up with the first wave of Saturn's.

I just wonder what a botched virtual release would look like for Sega maybe Crunchyroll and Funimataion have no idea about a new anime because it will be dropped somewhere else.

There’s a surprise announcement at 12, but it has to do with Adult Swim.

Adult Swim his been very bipolar with original content that isn't Rick and Morty since all they like to do is play reruns of Family Guy the past several years, and although it started Anime heavy its not anymore, I mean they still have some anime still on the air just not like they use too.

With the rise of Funimation and Crunchyroll, I could see a Shenmue series coming to Adult Swim, only to be pushed into an obscure time slot to make room for more Family Guy Reruns during their peek viewing times.

I low key doubt that it will go to Adult Swim, but I could see it happening, I hope not. Adult Swim would not be the best platform unless its heavily advertised which will not happen with Adult Swim.

Well, we're still just assuming it's an anime and that it's going to be shown at the expo on Saturday.
I know because of what Cedric said it's the most likely scenario, but this could still be a completely unrelated announcement that could be revealed by say, Sega or Shibuya themselves, through their own channels.
That said, either way I'm sure Saturday is going to be a fantastic day for the Shenmue community!

Well, we're still just assuming it's an anime and that it's going to be shown at the expo on Saturday.
I know because of what Cedric said it's the most likely scenario, but this could still be a completely unrelated announcement that could be revealed by say, Sega or Shibuya themselves, through their own channels.
That said, either way I'm sure Saturday is going to be a fantastic day for the Shenmue community!

Exactly rather its an Anime, Manga, OVA, Novel, new game, or heck even if it just turns out to be Sega teaming up with Johnson and Johnson to make Shenmue Licensed Band Aids, all we can do is speculate.

Hopefully its not Band Aids or something dumb like covid masks. We have all set the bar set really high but are we ready if it's something below the bar?

But isnt adult swim all about adult oriented series. Like shows created for / by adult swim, cartoons or not,
are made for a adult audience, right? Arent all their shows about political topics, vulgar jokes, cartoon violence etc?
Like for ages 14-17+ ?
Shenmue is not a adult oriented game / series in terms of content or rating, not even close.
So how does Shenmue fit into a surprise announcement by adult swim?
I know that adult swim also shows reruns of other shows
but that doesnt mean anything in this scenario if adult swim is the "content creator".

Or am i missing something?

But isnt adult swim all about adult oriented series. Like shows created for / by adult swim, cartoons or not...

If memory serves, they've adopted the vulgarity/"pot smoker" humor more recently. Early on, when they pushed Toonami more heavily, AS would air programs like Dragonball Z, Cowboy Bebop, and Yu Yu Hakusho.
That said, though I don't much watch AS anymore, I know they've returned to some anime programming and seem to be diversifying what their air (vs. Family Guy reruns ad nauseam).

While I doubt the Shenmue announcement is connected to AS, there's precedent for their airing that sort of thing.

If memory serves, they've adopted the vulgarity/"pot smoker" humor more recently. Early on, when they pushed Toonami more heavily, AS would air programs like Dragonball Z, Cowboy Bebop, and Yu Yu Hakusho.
That said, though I don't much watch AS anymore, I know they've returned to some anime programming and seem to be diversifying what their air (vs. Family Guy reruns ad nauseam).

While I doubt the Shenmue announcement is connected to AS, there's precedent for their airing that sort of thing.

I dont know, like yeah they are showing reruns of Dragon Ball and that stuff
but it doesnt belong to adult swim, they just have the rights to air it.

But if the Crunchyroll announcement is in connection with adult swim,
it makes it sound / look like its a product created by or for adult swim,
thats why it sounds a bit weird to me.

I can believe that adult swim would show reruns of a Shenmue series eventually
but a Shenmue series and adult swim is the full sponsor?, i dont know.

Interestingly, Adult Swim recently brought back another cult hit from the year 2000, FLCL.

But isnt adult swim all about adult oriented series. Like shows created for / by adult swim, cartoons or not,
are made for a adult audience, right? Arent all their shows about political topics, vulgar jokes, cartoon violence etc?
Like for ages 14-17+ ?
Shenmue is not a adult oriented game / series in terms of content or rating, not even close.
So how does Shenmue fit into a surprise announcement by adult swim?
I know that adult swim also shows reruns of other shows
but that doesnt mean anything in this scenario if adult swim is the "content creator".

Or am i missing something?

That's why I'm worried most of the Anime they currently have are all martial arts/fighting in themed and are aimed at 14+ Shenmue is still about revenge and tracking down a member of the Chinese Mafia so it could easily be bumped into that age range

Adult Swim shows this week
Dragon Ball Super
Naruto SHIPPUDEN
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Assassination Classroom "Ive never seen but I can assume its about fighting"
Samurai Jack "Not really an anime but is about fighting"

I may have missed a few anime's since they don't have a lot anymore but what they currently have are all; or almost all martial arts/fighting in theme

So I could see Shenmue fitting in with what they are trying to go for

Exactly why I'm worried it's right up their alley if they add the right spin to it.

I don't watch Adult Swim very much at all but I am aware of it because I am always on watch for the Next season of the Venture Bros which is their oldest original show still in production?

Everything else that was original got replaced by re-runs of family guy or out shadowed by Rick and Morty, Gone are the days of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and in are the days of a Nihilistic old man running the channel, with the only outsourced anime remaining all featuring martial arts as part of their package.

I can believe that adult swim would show reruns of a Shenmue series eventually
but a Shenmue series and adult swim is the full sponsor?, i dont know.

Yeah I don't think it would be a full blown sponsor, but then again Adult Swim in an effort to regain their cult status may attempt something just like that since being underground was their original model

Interestingly, Adult Swim recently brought back another cult hit from the year 2000, FLCL.

Exactly this, and something with the cult following of Shenmue could be a project I could realistically foresee with Adult Swim.

I'm sitting at a 30% chance that is whats going to happen.

If is an anime, it could be something like FFXV Brotherhood, 5 short episodes or so about some character stories making a bridge to Shenmue IV. It would be cool.

They were also compelled to fund another batch of episodes for The Big O a couple years after it was cancelled in Japan, and that experiment with IGPX, once upon a time. There's certainly precedent, I just can't quite figure out why they would tag Shenmue.

Apparently this is the sort of thing AS and CR are working together on:
So it wouldn't necessarily have to be airing exclusively on AS.

EDIT: They're also apparently co-producing a Blade Runner anime, which makes me feel the same kind of conflict that a Shenmue anime might. (EDIT 2: Oh, wow. It's even directed by Kenji Kamiyama.)

Last edited:
Who remembers running home from school to watch Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo?

The good ol days.

In England, for me it was all about Pokémon, The Simpsons, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Robot Wars. I'm not sure if it's sad that 20 years later, I still watch the same things 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back