An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to think that something Shenmue related getting announced is a good sign of the series not being dead, but I remember Shenmue Online all too well. I'm honestly a little frustrated they'd announce anything other than the next game because the next game is not yet a given. Then again nothing is been announced yet. Is this guy really a reliable leaker?

I really hope it's not an Anime. I'll take it if it is but I'm still kind of hoping it's game related. The ultimate dream would be IV but since it's pretty much not gonna be IV, then I would take DLC over all else.

For me

IV > III DLC (Baisha?) > Anime > Manga.

Cedric Biscay basically confirmed something is happening this Saturday, so it seems he is reliable. It also sounds Iike there might be one or two people on here who already know what it is.

I missed that! That's what I get for skipping the five pages since my last post.

An anime could be cool honestly. I still think it's really bizarre this would happen.

Last edited:
I really hope it's not an Anime. I'll take it if it is but I'm still kind of hoping it's game related. The ultimate dream would be IV but since it's pretty much not gonna be IV, then I would take DLC over all else.

For me

IV > III DLC (Baisha?) > Anime > Manga.
Same here, but if the Anime is a continuation of the story in a major way (aka invalidating S4) then I won't 'take it', I'll be too pissed to even watch it... Probably.

Here's hoping for a DLC/Expansion/Director Cut of S3

The info gathered by @mjqjazzbar and a few other posters:
-There's a fan project called Shenmue World that has yet to be properly announced.
-The YsNet website has been updated for the first time in years
-Koch Media is opening up a branch in Japan
-There's the Crunchy Roll Expo this Saturday, and the rumor is we'll be hearing about the project on Saturday. This makes an anime series being the most likely scenario given the information that we have.
-Shibuya Productions is possibly involved

The info from Golem:
-It's not Shenmue 4
-It's not a port of Shenmue 1,2, 3
-It's something entirely brand new.
-It's more than a book series or a documentary.
-It's not being kickstarted, already funded.
-Whatever it is will NOT invalidate Shenmue IV in any way.

Maybe it's not *just* an anime, or *just* a game, but an anime to release in tandem with a smaller game release? I'm just trying to piece together the "missing piece" that ShenSun hinted at. And since whatever it is won't breach into Shenmue IV territory I think it would exist to try to branch out the story to a new audience through other forms of media and can help Shenmue IV get developed.

I think "something *entirely* brand new" would rule out a remaster or directors cut of Shenmue 1, 2 , or 3, even though I would personally want those over anything besides a new game installment.

Maybe they did some sort of marketing research and thought that expecting a newcomer to play through Shenmue 1, 2, and 3 might be too daunting if they want to jump into a potential Shenmue 4? Perhaps an anime series could allow someone to get caught up in the story in a few hours instead of 40-60?

Only Shenmue 3 is shit.

HEY! That's Sharon-talk!

The game had a problem or two.... maybe several problems..... okay many many problems.

But still..... some good stuff happened in 3.

1.) We learned once and for all that Sunming Zhao was the man in the picture.
2.) We got to see Ryo and Lan Di fight(!)
3.) We learned Lan Di was Zhao's only son and was raised by the Chi You Men.
4.) We learned a little more about how/why Zhao acquired the mirrors.

Seriously what kneecapped Shenmue 3 was losing Baisha.... unlike S1 & 2, S3 never had a disc 3. Wasn't in the budget :(

Last edited:
Anything other than Shenmue 4 or something that officially ties up the saga is going to be a disappointment. They need to stop faffing around and get the series over and done with.

Anything other than Shenmue 4 or something that officially ties up the saga is going to be a disappointment. They need to stop faffing around and get the series over and done with.

I agree, I don't understand how this series could potentially be getting another spin off before its completion that may never happen. Shenmue flopped commercially, and despite being loved (see: e3 2015 reveal) it's still pretty niche. The reboot had a tough development cycle and the final product was subpar. I don't see how anyone could think an anime is what this series needs. And while an anime could be great, I don't expect it to be.

What a weird journey Shenmue fandom has been for us haha

I completely disagree. Something like a shenmue anime detailing the events up until 3 would get people ready for a 4th game without having to buy and play the last 3 games in the series. More interest = more sales. Even if it's a spinoff, if it leads to a better shenmue 4 because of a bigger budget then I am totally down for it. The big picture will always lead up to shenmue 4.

I agree, I don't understand how this series could potentially be getting another spin off before its completion that may never happen. Shenmue flopped commercially, and despite being loved (see: e3 2015 reveal) it's still pretty niche. The reboot had a tough development cycle and the final product was subpar. I don't see how anyone could think an anime is what this series needs. And while an anime could be great, I don't expect it to be.

What a weird journey Shenmue fandom has been for us haha

I'm kind of on the fence, especially since we don't have all the details. If they make a new anime series to "gauge interest" before green-lighting Shenmue IV, then it would be a waste. If the anime series is effectively "Shenmue 1, 2, and 3: The Movie" and Shenmue IV is already planned, then I think it could be beneficial.

Say, for instance, Shenmue IV makes the huge leap like II, and gets a metacritic around 80-85 and is "what the fans wanted from Shenmue III". In that case, it's possible that someone new to the series might be interested in Shenmue IV but they don't want to play through 40-60 hours of games. Fans can just point them to the anime series on youtube, netflix, wherever. Perhaps there would even be anime fans who get interested in the series through the anime. And yeah, anime would probably also be "niche", but if they feel it can also work as marketing for future installments it might be worth it.

If it is an anime I hope they recast basically all of the voices. I like the English VA for Ren so I'd welcome them bringing him back, but for the most part I would prefer new, fresh, professional voice actors to give their takes on the characters. At the very least please recast Ryo 🙇‍♂️

It is an anime though so they might only do subs for the English version to appease the nerds, which I would support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back