An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realised something: doesn't Brianna Knickerbocker (Shenhua) voice a tonne of anime?

She'd be perfect to bring back for a Shenmue series!
Yeah that's her main line of work I think. Would be a shout.

I think she divided opinion a little on here IIRC but personally I had no issue with her work on Shenmue III. Given the experience in anime, if that's what it is, then she would be welcomed back :).

Last edited:
Just realised something: doesn't Brianna Knickerbocker (Shenhua) voice a tonne of anime?

She'd be perfect to bring back for a Shenmue series!

She does! I thought the same. In fact, most of the Shenmue 3 cast are known voice actors with decent resumes, I think.

Again, it doesn't make sense to look at this as something we're getting "instead of" a real announcement. Unless this is literally YS Net making a spin-off game (highly unlikely it seems), it doesn't compete in any way with the announcement of IV. And even then, it wouldn't stop them from making IV. I struggle to see the downsides, personally.

Yeah, it's just more exposure for the series which can only be a good thing and if they do the smart thing of recapping 1-3 then it'll create more demand and hype for the 4th game. If the 4th game never comes because of lack of investment or shit we still got Shenmue 3 and the full story - which is a pretty good outcome when you compare it to where we were 6 years ago.

I still reckon we'll get IV though.

You watch now and it'll be Shenmue Chess or something

Yeah, it's just more exposure for the series which can only be a good thing and if they do the smart thing of recapping 1-3 then it'll create more demand and hype for the 4th game. If the 4th game never comes because of lack of investment or shit we still got Shenmue 3 and the full story - which is a pretty good outcome when you compare it to where we were 6 years ago.

I still reckon we'll get IV though.

You watch now and it'll be Shenmue Chess or something

I'd rather it be something unique than just a story recap presentation. That was fine for the Xbox Version of Shen 2 to have a movie summary as Xbox players didn't have access to Shen 1 (Sadly) but now Shenmue 1-3 is readily available for anyone interested.

If it is an anime I'm hoping for a fun side story and not something that interrupts Ryo's journey - Which I would prefer to keep as an in-game experience. So a side story focusing on The Chi You Men, Iwao's past etc. Something substantial that makes it worth noting.

I've been watching Zone of the Enders - Dolores, i which is a spin off series set prior to the 1st game - I think the later episodes then are set after the 1st game, still making my way through it :p And it's been an enjoyable experience to see more of the ZoE world.

If it's an anime and it doesn't have THIS style and it's not made 100% in Japan, I will be really disappointed.

CKH99r1UsAAZmrX

I care a lot more about how it is made than where it is made.

I’m just praying it doesn’t get turned into some hyper-feminine kawai nonsense that completely shifts the tone of the series.

I agree but where it is produced is important too.
For example a french cartoon would not suit the series at all.

I don’t think that’s really the case these days. The ratio of good to bad animes is probably a lot higher outside of Japan than in. They just need to find people who know what they’re doing.
The golden age of hand-drawn anime dominance is long gone bro. For low-to-middle budgets they tend to use 3D for everything as you can see on the latest series on Netflix. Thanks heavens it did improve alot but it's still on the dolls-looking side atm.

Imagine if it isn't actually anime...I know all signs point to anime, but live action would probably reach a wider audience 🤫
I’m still praying for live action. Or pretty much anything else. Combining niche subject material with a niche medium that has very little overlap with the original medium just doesn’t fill me with confidence.

I completely disagree. Something like a shenmue anime detailing the events up until 3 would get people ready for a 4th game without having to buy and play the last 3 games in the series. More interest = more sales. Even if it's a spinoff, if it leads to a better shenmue 4 because of a bigger budget then I am totally down for it. The big picture will always lead up to shenmue 4.
If it leads to Shenmue 4 then I'll grovel and apologise to whoever disagreed with my post in the slightest. I just need this series to be wrapped up because part of me, a lot of me in fact, fears it won't happen.

He says this project is more for those "who care about Shenmue's story".

To me that sounds less like a project designed to appeal to a new audience, but something that caters to fans who are already invested in this ongoing saga.

I can't see this being a simple retelling of Shenmue in a different format to get a new audience on board based on that wording. It's probably something new that ties into the story and builds upon it.

She does! I thought the same. In fact, most of the Shenmue 3 cast are known voice actors with decent resumes, I think.

Except Corey. But I love him anyway.

A few anime ideas in my head:
1. Short little 5-minute features which focus on the NPC's of Shenmue 3 - Like The Niaowu hotel owner or Master Feng in Bailu. Fun little shorts which give the NPC's much needed attention.

2. A feature which leads to hint a returning character in Shenmue IV - For Shenmue IV hype.

A few anime ideas in my head:
1. Short little 5-minute features which focus on the NPC's of Shenmue 3 - Like The Niaowu hotel owner or Master Feng in Bailu. Fun little shorts which give the NPC's muich needed attention.
But why waste the money? Some fans might like it, but in all likelihood we’re never going to see most of these characters again. Anybody who never played or didn’t like Shenmue 3 isn’t going to give them a second look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back