An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it can’t have done that badly if somebody is prepared to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into an anime spin-off, can it?

As I said in a previous post, there are many ways that an anime could damage the game series - and I’m not strictly speaking about it never happening.
You'd hope so. Again, that's one of the reasons why this is a positive thing in my eyes.

To me, the only way this could damage the series is if it's absolutely terrible -- so bad that word spreads -- and call me an optimist but I just don't see that happening. If it's "fine" or "a bit meh", people will just forget it ever happened.

All the stuff about it setting the wrong expectations, or forcing YS Net to alter the direction of the series, seems a bit hyperbolic at this stage.

I thin castlevania netflix is rpetty bad, and something to avoid in case of Shenmue anime.

As for Dragon Ball Super bad frames, they usually do this on purpose to sell the bluray version with the fixed frames.

All the stuff about it setting the wrong expectations, or forcing YS Net to alter the direction of the series, seems a bit hyperbolic at this stage.
Perhaps, but if a Shenmue anime were to garner a larger fan base than the game series, can you not see a scenario where Yu might decide to cater to the masses? I’m not saying it’s guaranteed to happen, but I think it’s certainly a possibility.
I thin castlevania netflix is rpetty bad, and something to avoid in case of Shenmue anime.
And yet it’s one of very few anime’s that has really appealed to a mainstream audience in the west...

And yet it’s one of very few anime’s that has really appealed to a mainstream audience in the west...
Really, people liked that? Now I'm scared :(
What was so bad about it? I only saw season 1 and 2 but I liked it. Besides, it's not like Konami is doing much with the IP...

Perhaps, but if a Shenmue anime were to garner a larger fan base than the game series, can you not see a scenario where Yu might decide to cater to the masses? I’m not saying it’s guaranteed to happen, but I think it’s certainly a possibility.
If it demonstrates to YS how to make Shenmue more popular to the mainstream then I don't really see how you can look at that as a bad thing.

If it's prequel-related, which there's every chance it isn't, searching terms related to Dobuita, Yokosuka, Iwao, might uncover something? I think I've exhausted it all. I'm too old to be this impatient. I just need to wait... Whatever it is, it's under lock & key beyond whatever this Dusk Golem heard. No domain registrations, Twitter hints... I'm at a wall.

Watch it be no more than something like a brand new Shenmue website. Could be cool if done right, of course.

What was so bad about it? I only saw season 1 and 2 but I liked it. Besides, it's not like Konami is doing much with the IP...
I suspect anime purists disliked it for many of the same reasons that I liked it. The voice acting was good without being over the top, the story was well written (although it does start to lose steam after the first season) and it didn’t conform to the standard 12 frames per second so the animation was actually pretty tight throughout. Perhaps some even disliked it simply because it was produced in America and not Japan (apparently that’s a thing for some anime fans).
If it demonstrates to YS how to make Shenmue more popular to the mainstream then I don't really see how you can look at that as a bad thing.
It really depends on what changes they make. Assassin’s creed games are infinitely more popular than Shenmue games, but I dare say people wouldn’t be too pleased if Shenmue 4 was an AC clone.

Avatar: The Last Airbender was a pretty popular anime that got a few videogame adaptions. They all sold pretty well (1m+ copies), but they were absolute trash according to average gamers and critics.

I don’t think an anime-ized Shenmue game would appeal to the mainstream any more than current Shenmue games. They’d just be catering to a larger niche than they currently are.

I'm finding it a bit difficult to be excited for a potential Shenmue anime myself. I'm not that big into anime, one of my favourite movies of all time is Akira, but there's no way this will be something on the scale of that and I'm honestly a little bit worried that the art style is what's gonna be the "make or break" for me in this case, which I find surprising of myself if I'm honest. Even when it comes to games, I can be a lot more forgiving.. but I don't know, I like interactive media and I guess the more I look at something 2D with no control, the more I am likely to scrutinize what it is I'm viewing. I hope that people who like anime will like this (if it is indeed an anime) though, maybe I will too!

I suspect anime purists disliked it for many of the same reasons that I liked it. The voice acting was good without being over the top, the story was well written (although it does start to lose steam after the first season) and it didn’t conform to the standard 12 frames per second so the animation was actually pretty tight throughout. Perhaps some even disliked it simply because it was produced in America and not Japan (apparently that’s a thing for some anime fans
That's so weird to me, people didn't like it because it was good? I guess there are all types.

I can kind of see some people not liking it because it doesn't strictly adhere to the game's stories but I see that as a positive
I agree. Shenmue was always meant to be mainstream and popular and anything that trends it towards that is a good direction IMO.

It really depends on what changes they make. Assassin’s creed games are infinitely more popular than Shenmue games, but I dare say people wouldn’t be too pleased if Shenmue 4 was an AC clone.
I also agree with this however, I think there is an (unfounded) fear that the Shenmue "formula" will change too drastically and alienate the fans but I don't see this happening. COD is also infinitely more popular than Shenmue but S4 is as likely to become a FPS as an AC clone.

That being said if we want this series to continue some changes to appeal to mainstream tastes are likely needed. I think an anime/TV show could be a good launching pad to get a little wider audience interested in the stories and bring in more sales for the series.

Of course this is all on the assumption it is a TV series and not something else entirely.

That's so weird to me, people didn't like it because it was good? I guess there are all types.
Well that’s why I thought it was good, but all things are subjective, aren’t they? I’m sure there are people who’d argue that the story was too direct, the voice acting was too reserved and the animation wasn’t authentic. As you say. All types!
I can kind of see some people not liking it because it doesn't strictly adhere to the game's stories but I see that as a positive.
Believe it or not, I don’t think I’ve ever played a Castlevania game and so the authenticity of the story didn’t at all factor into my judgement of the series. To that end though, I can’t really speak to how well it followed the game’s story so if it did deviate from it dramatically, you may be right.
I also agree with this however, I think there is an (unfounded) fear that the Shenmue "formula" will change too drastically and alienate the fans but I don't see this happening. COD is also infinitely more popular than Shenmue but S4 is as likely to become a FPS as an AC clone.

That being said if we want this series to continue some changes to appeal to mainstream tastes are likely needed. I think an anime/TV show could be a good launching pad to get a little wider audience interested in the stories and bring in more sales for the series.

Of course this is all on the assumption it is a TV series and not something else entirely.
I think there are some changes that they could make like fast travel, way-points and quest markers that would immediately make the game more accessible to a wider audience (and in theory, those could be turned on/off in the menu so as not to be too intrusive to Shenmue purists), but there’s only so much that can be changed before it starts to deviate away from the Shenmue formula.

If they are making an anime, I really do hope that it expands the fan base as it succeeding is definitely better for the series than it failing - but if we find ourselves at a point where most Shenmue fans like the series for the anime tropes they associate with it rather than the games themselves - I worry about how the games might be changed to accommodate them. I guess that’s a problem for further down the road though.

If it's anime, it'd ideally have the sort of tone that's found in a more mature anime like a Studio Ghibli film. I hope it's not a generic wacky anime with annoying goofy characters that all want to jump each other's bones, cuz that's not my thing at all.

But I know it's totally not gonna be an anime now that we've spent so much time talking about Shenmue:The Anime.

Its going to be a really short, badly animated, low budget anime or a visual novel with no voice acting... I can feel it in my guts.. I HOPE it's a proper story DLC expansion for Shenmue 3 that retroactively bulks out character backstories (both allies and enemies) but that's honestly waaay too hopeful. it's gonna be something low risk like a visual novel manga panel style thing.. urgh...

Last edited:
Well, I hope, at least, they do a sort of "special technique highlight" in a similar way of Virtua Fighter Anime: its so cool!

Its going to be a really short, badly animated, low budget anime or a visual novel with no voice acting... I can feel it in my guts.. I HOPE it's a proper story DLC expansion for Shenmue 3 that retroactively bulks out character backstories (both allies and enemies) but that's honestly waaay too hopeful. it's gonna be something low risk like a visual novel manga panel style thing.. urgh...
Well the dude who first posted about this specifically said it had a decent budget and a "notable company" was involved.

Not so fond of the modern anime though. The animation still looks less nice then the hand drawn stuff and mature stories are quite rare in the modern productions compared to the past.
I do not think its less mature stories. I think it is more like in the past a lot of the bad anime stayed in Japan and nobody exported it outside.

As for Dragon Ball Super bad frames, they usually do this on purpose to sell the bluray version with the fixed frames.
Castlevania was good, it is debatable if can be considered anime as the animation seemed more western cartoon (and animation sometimes felt like missing frames which is why I said seemes more like classic western cartoon) but it was good.

And no DBZ frames are done like that because its a weekly, lowbudget, anime that need to pull those 20 minutes in a maddening schedule. They may fix it in the blueray because they have more time, they want to add more reasons to sell overpriced physical media (at least from what I remember the price on those seem super high)

I am scared you are right lol

I suspect anime purists disliked it for many of the same reasons that I liked it. The voice acting was good without being over the top, the story was well written (although it does start to lose steam after the first season) and it didn’t conform to the standard 12 frames per second so the animation was actually pretty tight throughout. Perhaps some even disliked it simply because it was produced in America and not Japan (apparently that’s a thing for some anime fans).
That's so weird but I guess I can understand that position if you're a "purist". Clearly Castlevania did something right though as it was pretty popular in a way that the games haven't been in a long time. Castlevania is also a far more "known" name than Shenmue outside its fanbase, which has the tendency to cause those inside the fanbase to resent those people.

It's funny because even if you watch the negative playthroughs of Shenmue (Funhaus, Game Grumps etc.), they still praise the opening cinematic; it's the gameplay that loses them. So it stands to reason that a Shenmue anime, which would essentially only be the "cutscenes" has a good chance of having wider appeal than the games.

but there’s only so much that can be changed before it starts to deviate away from the Shenmue formula.
I'm always fascinated by what people consider to be Shenmue's "formula". To me, it's always changed to fit whatever the story needed. Disc 4 of S2 is almost unrecognizable from Disc 3 of S1.

If they are making an anime, I really do hope that it expands the fan base as it succeeding is definitely better for the series than it failing - but if we find ourselves at a point where most Shenmue fans like the series for the anime tropes they associate with it rather than the games themselves - I worry about how the games might be changed to accommodate them. I guess that’s a problem for further down the road though.
At this point that would be a good problem to have considering the worst case scenario is a world with 0 Shenmue properties in the future.

But I know it's totally not gonna be an anime now that we've spent so much time talking about Shenmue:The Anime.
lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back