An odd thing about the ending

When Mr yuan has his chat with Ryu and then ryo walks on the top deck with shenhua and the ryo has a flashback to chatting with Mr yuan or atleast that's what's implyd by it going all sepia

Is it just me or is that just a really strange editing choice to cut the conversation short only to have a flashback to the 2nd halfe of the conversation

I feel that the strange direction of the scene was likely part of the overhaul of the ending where they had to start cutting like crazy due to time. It does feel unusually put together as if originally the scene was longer and had more dialogue

It’s odd for sure...or he purposely cut something relevant almost as if teasing it for IV. I don’t know...I have no answers

When Mr yuan has his chat with Ryu and then ryo walks on the top deck with shenhua and the ryo has a flashback to chatting with Mr yuan or atleast that's what's implyd by it going all sepia

Is it just me or is that just a really strange editing choice to cut the conversation short only to have a flashback to the 2nd halfe of the conversation

The whole editing, staging and direction of end sequence was very bizarre indeed. The fact Shenhua didn’t have have one dialogue scene acknowledging Ryo saving her or a scene with her Dad seemed like a missed opportunity.

It’s odd for sure...or he purposely cut something relevant almost as if teasing it for IV. I don’t know...I have no answers

Yea my thought is maby this scene is ment more as a transition to the next part instead of being the ending and that due to budget or whatever this now had to be an ending as it feels really strange

the only thing off the top of my head I can think it's like is well did anyone ever see ong bak 2&3 the Tony jaa films which was ment to be one film but due to production problems they had to pad the film out in editing as the film wasnt finished then superficially creat a cliffhanger ending which was never the original intent but that also came with a strange pace and epic showdown which wasnt devolped then try to make senes of it all in the next film.

which sadly felt like mostly disjointed deleted scenes with more padding and made even less sense that the previous film lol please dont let shenmue 4 be the ong bak 3 of shenmue lol

But the flashback moment feels really odd and out of place the only way I can see it making any sense from a design prospect is something went wrong with budget and the flashback part was ment to be the slight recap at the start of the next chapter which has now become the ending

there was a flashback in shenmue 2 with yuhanda zhu at the start of disc 4 and it seams that would be the place to have put that flashback with Mr yuan if shenmue 3 had the next section which I speculate has been cut

I do wonder if many of the elements of that chapter was ether partially completed if not fully and will appear in the next game, or they made that a flash back to emply it's been a passage of time but device isnt needed as once they are walking on the wall of China it would be heavily implyd that time has passed and if they did want to use that device that scene would be better placed after ryo walks on the top deck and just before the final scene of them on the Great wall

I am sure all of you as would I love to hear what the creative team have to say on the matter

Last edited:
Back