Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Favourite title
Shenmue
If we needed any game right now in the world, it's one about a leisurely escape to an island paradise.

So, who's diving in? I figured we could exchange FCs and such, trade fruit, all that good stuff, and just discuss the game in general here. Sorry if I missed an existing topic!

I want that special edition, but alas, it is not meant to be (yet!).

A basic gestalt on the game ? I have no Fking idea what is supposed to be.
I guess at its most basic, Animal Crossing is a life sim.

You make a (human) character and then live in a real-time virtual town where you meet neighbors (anthropomorphic animals), design your house, interact with other players, go fishing, catch bugs, and collect. There's no real goal or endgame. In the short term, the closest to a official goal would be paying off loans to upgrade your house. In the long term, there's really nothing beyond what you decide: collecting all the furniture (there is a ton), filling out your bug or fish catalog, perfecting the design of your town, and so forth.

Although time traveling is common (by setting the game's clock ahead), the game is meant to be played in real time. If you pay or reach the requirements for your house, museum, or store, et cetera, to be upgraded, you won't see it until tomorrow. Holidays and festivals roughly analogous to real world holidays will occur on or around the same days in-game as they do in real life. Animals will move in and out, and sometimes special animals will show up with rare goods, little events to participate in, and so forth. Certain bugs and fish are only available during certain hours of the day and certain months/seasons of the year (again, realtime, and based on your real-life hemisphere).

In older games, you could have up to four players in one town, but you had to take turns. More recent games feature concurrent multiplayer and online play, with New Horizons allowing four players at once locally, and up to eight online.

Also new to New Horizons, there's a very light bit of survival added to it, with tools that constantly break and need repairs, the ability to craft furniture, and some basic terraforming aspects. You can basically set your island up exactly as you want it, including the placement of the houses and buildings.

TL;DR: you live peacefully with animals, furnish a house, build up a town with amenities, and collect stuff, all in real time.

Yeah, definitely not my cup of tea; the Sims was fun because it was completely off the wall and different, but even then, I'm not a huge fan of that game.

This seems like a MASSIVE time-waster, for those that enjoy these types of things; personally, I'd rather spend 2 hours a day grinding a character in Yakuza 7, mastering moves in 'mue III or just going to my (sizable, but not gargantuan) backlog and beating a game or 2, that actually has a purpose.

To each their own!

Yeah, definitely not my cup of tea; the Sims was fun because it was completely off the wall and different, but even then, I'm not a huge fan of that game.

This seems like a MASSIVE time-waster, for those that enjoy these types of things; personally, I'd rather spend 2 hours a day grinding a character in Yakuza 7, mastering moves in 'mue III or just going to my (sizable, but not gargantuan) backlog and beating a game or 2, that actually has a purpose.

To each their own!
Totally, it's not for everyone. I think we're intimately familiar with that concept as Shenmue fans. :ROFLMAO:

Every game is sort of a time waster by definition, it's all about how we individually define time well spent. For me, I enjoy MMOs but peter out by endgame raiding. Grinding out levels or incredibly minor stat increases in an RPG is to me more purposeless than than collecting fish to complete the town's museum or paying off a loan to get a bigger house, but man, some people go crazy for it!

Paradoxically, I think the best way to appreciate the game is not to spend his time on it. I mean favouring short sessions since it's easy to quickly explore the limits of the content but it's just my very own approach with AC.

The main point of the game is that, even if you turn off your console, the village continues to live in real time, without you, and that's fantastic. You're not the hero but just a citizen part of the town, pretty much like Shenmue, although you got some powers of influence as a mayor.

That said, I'm not viewing myself as a fan of the series neither. I'm fascinated by the concept but it always lacked of something substantial to grab me. My main criticism is that your actions lead often to little consequences and it prevents your imagination from going wild. It's probably way better to play as or with a kid.

To each their own!

IMO that's why I like this game. You can play this for years and get enjoyment out of it. There's always something to do, earn, collect, plant, create, etc. Plus you do everything at your pace and play style.

With Nintendo locking the holidays to updates means that they can change the atmosphere and items for years(if Nintendo decides to support it for that long).

Well I finally got it and decided to go with Jonestown 2 for a name. Also got lucky and had a balloon drop me a pair of specs.

871F3F03-EAB3-4079-A17D-DD54DAEE1C54.jpeg

It’s been quite a long time but I don’t recall New Leaf having half as many features as this. This game should keep me occupied for some time.

I wasn't planning on buying this until a couple of weeks ago, really glad I did. I had the original on GameCube and am really digging this new version. It's great to pickup for 30mins in the morning before starting my day and then for another half hour or hour in the evening. From what I've seen people posting in regards to the game I've barely scratched the surface. Still need one more pesky iron nugget to get the shop...

Animal Crossing is killing it in the sales department. In just 3 days Animal Crossing has sold over 2.5 million units(physical & digital). Physical sales are 1.8million. This is the highest debut game for the Switch so far in Japan.

I can't wait to see total sales numbers worldwide. Damn that's alot of units.😮

Glad to hear everyone's liking it! I'm quite enjoying it. I wouldn't be too surprised if this is my most-played Animal Crossing since the GameCube!

There are a handful of little things I don't like but I'm hoping will be added/tweaked in later updates.

Man I didnt give Animal Crossing a chance till New Leaf. I didn't think I would like it, I was completely wrong. I had to quit playing New Leaf because I was addicted and this entry has only amplified that addiction.

I'm getting more satisfaction out of the game now that I'm playing the honest way and not exploiting money glitches or time travel.

I recently found out that you can visit other peoples islands and buy things that are not available and also sell your turnips to the stalk market.

I would like to make a network with the people that play here. If the prices are lucrative on your island I'd like to come over and make a fortune. I would do the same for everyone else. I would also leave a tip for allowing me to use your island(bells not actual money lol).

Is anyone open to this idea?

I’m not sure how to do that, or even how friend does or whatever work...and then I don’t think my island is all that lucrative anyway lol. But I guess if I figure it out I’ll share. For now, I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do.

9E58A120-942D-4649-AE3A-5046FC1597BE.jpeg
004E6019-52CF-4D12-8D1A-34F1FA887D1C.jpeg
D5B3AF60-DD88-4D52-B45E-9ABCAF787F8D.jpeg02362930-4B75-48EE-96EB-9C5683CBD803.jpegA346E924-E1EA-4EF0-9130-219A7BD85CF6.jpeg

Back