Anime vs Real Life Locations

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
It was a nice surprise to see how closely the anime has based much of its scenery and backgrounds on real-life locations around Yokosuka, so this thread is for posting about any matches or similarities noticed.

Here are some comparisons I've put together (reposted from the Phantom River Stone blog):

Dobuita Street:
g2776.jpg

Road Tunnel #1
comparison.jpg

Road Tunnel #2
rect1742.jpg

"MOUNTAIN" Shop
rect1353.jpg

More details on the last comparison:
https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2022/02/shenmue-animation-vs-real-life-dobuita.html

Man, looking at this post makes me realize how much I miss Japan :crying:

It actually pains me knowing its been two years since I last went. I miss the hell out of that place. I miss my friends there. I just miss it in general.

Anyways, enough of me missing Japan. Great post as always Switch.

Man, looking at this post makes me realize how much I miss Japan :crying:

It actually pains me knowing its been two years since I last went. I miss the hell out of that place. I miss my friends there. I just miss it in general.
This really underscores the attention the anime puts into capturing the locations and feel of the Japan suburbs. While nothing can beat an actual visit, like the games it does a good job of transporting you there.

A thought occurred. The anime has deviated just a little bit from the game in some regards to Yokosuka. To me, the Yokosuka in the anime actually seems way more accurate to real life Yokosuka as I remember it when I visited a few years back...I have to wonder how it will treat Hong Kong and Kowloon though.

After going there in real life, I tend to think that game Yokosuka is a much more condensed version of real life Yokosuka. Kind of the same way that Kamurocho is a condensed version of real life Kabukicho. It's close but slightly different.

So I do have to wonder how Hong Kong and Kowloon will differ in the anime?

Although funnily enough, Bailu seems pretty damn accurate to what it was in Shenmue III. From what little we've seen of Bailu, that seems the most accurate to the games. If that makes sense.

Last edited:
So I do have to wonder how Hong Kong and Kowloon will differ in the anime?
That's an interesting point. The Japan-based team would have been able to fairly readily gather more location shots in Yokosuka, but on the other hand there would be a lot of reference images available online that could serve as a basis.

In the ending animation i noticed this... Location Cooperation Yokosuka City, so the anime team really did a research to create Yokosuka in the anime, so beautiful. I love seeing the Anime VS Real Life locations. Switch, thanks for everything you do for the Shenmue community.

1646922830187.png

Need to find out what police station he visited, looked familiar 😅 glad they kept Man Mo Temple closer to the game, it’s a bit too cramped irl.

Back