Anime.

Thank you so much for those recommendations! I'll scour the web for Endless Summer and Anohana I dig both trailers.

I have seen A Silent Voice, Garden Of Words and Violet Evergarden. Loved Silent Voice and Garden Words quite alot both 4 out of 5 ⭐. I enjoyed Violet too 3 ⭐. I tried to get into March comes in like a Lion because so many people were raving about it and I just couldn't ever get into it.

Alot of people recommended me one called Orange and I got 6 episodes in to that before backing out. Orange is the first and still only anime to ever truly bore me.

I couldn't get into DBZ Yu-Gi-Oh or pokemon back when I was a kid in the early 90s alot of my friends did though. Or rurouni Kenshin for that matter. But I loved Inuyasha when I was a kid.

Other anime I have watched is Erased. I loved the aspect of trying to stop Kayos murder. Then the last couple of episodes happened and I still enjoyed it but I didn't care as much about saving the mom. Because to me the story was saving Kayo and I felt like the present day stuff was to pad the runtime. 4 out of 5 ⭐ though.

Future Diary didn't think I would love it as much as I did. Yuno was the star of the show and everything that happened to those two during that crazy battle to the death. I loved their relationship even if she was 100 percent crazy lol. 4 ⭐.

I enjoyed Silver Spoon and the first season of Sword Art Online. Both 3 ⭐.

Bloom Into You I hope there's a second season someday 4⭐

I couldn't ever get into psycho pass. That one was recommended to me.

Death Note 4 ⭐ what a insane awesome tale that anime weaves.

5 Centimeters per Second man that movie is so disappointing. I loved the first episode than the other two happen and it all goes downhill from there! 2 ⭐
Awesome. :geek:

let me throw a few more at you just to make up for the three you've already seen. Here's some nicher under-rated ones.

Voice of a distant star

Rascal does not dream of a dreaming girl

As the moon, so beautiful

H2O: footprints in the sand

Yosuga no Sora

Note*^ This shows themes portrayed does pull on the heartstrings really well.

Awesome. :geek:

let me throw a few more at you just to make up for the three you've already seen. Here's some nicher under-rated ones.

Voice of a distant star

Rascal does not dream of a dreaming girl

As the moon, so beautiful

H2O: footprints in the sand

Yosuga no Sora

Note*^ This shows themes portrayed does pull on the heartstrings really well.
Once again thank you so much for these recommendations! They all seem fascinating and I greatly appreciate it. I also love that they're underrated and niche as well. All of their trailers greatly intrigued me and I'll be searching for them this weekend no doubt. Writing all of their names down. Thank you so much once more! I can't wait to find and binge them!

Have I really not posted in here before?

Can’t say I’m as obsessed with anime in general as many other fans, but if I have to watch some form of media then generally I’ll try and go with anime first, at least these days.

First one I’ve ever watched was Sailor Moon, way back when I was real little...and I think Mars is the reason for some things I feel now. :p It is one of two collections I actually own but unfortunately come to find out it’s not the original English dub. At least I have access to all the stuff I haven’t watched of it yet.

I’d wager tons of kids watched Pokemon, Digimon, DBZ, most stuff that was on Toonami really. I vaguely remember a few others like Outlaw Star, Big-O I think? Oh, I did enjoy Hamtaro. But if those, DBZ was my main one for quite some time, until they aired the original Dragon Ball and I saw how that could be superior in ways that mattered more to me. I tried GT and didn’t like it much, and from the sounds of it the recent Super isn’t great either, so I’m content with just believing the series ended on the Buu saga.

Inuyasha had my attention for some time and I may still go back to it one day to finish the rest. But then Adult Swim aired Paranoia Agent and its been more or less my favorite ever since. So it’s the other collection I’ve got, spent way too much on it, but I’ve got some other films by Satoshi Kon as well; Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Perfect Blue, seen a few others. Speaking of films, I’ve also got A silent voice, Spirited away, and have seen Ghost in the shell, Red line, Akira, and Grave of the fireflies. Probably lots I’m forgetting.

Strike Witches, Witchblade, Queen’s Blade, Trigun, Cowboy bebop, Mushi-shi, all stuff I’ve seen at least some of. Excel Saga I loved, seen all of what there is to see if Berserk, and I guess my most recent obsession has been Jojo and I’m all caught up there now. There are some I might want to watch next but nothing pressing atm. Maybe Lucky Star.

Could not say that I have been a big anime geek in the recent 15 to 20 years or so but I recently I was bored and rewatched my old favourites, Dragon Ball and Z, School Rumble Ranma 1/2, Ninja Scroll, Inuyasha and even some of the latest episodes of Detektive Conan. The series is stil fun but the animation style has changed a lot since I last watched it. I still prefer the old style.

I a not up to date with the newest and latest anime to be honest. But I think I am going to check out some of the newest production.

Which current action anime and comedy anime you guys could recommend?

I also couldn't ever get into cowboy bebop or Gundam either
I don't know if it the same for you as it was for me, but I also couldn't get into ether of them at first too.

With Cowboy Bebop I watched the first two episodes and kinda got bored, years later I decided to give it a try again, watched the first four episodes and almost gave up again but kept on watching anyway and surprise, around episode 6 it actually became really good and kept on getting better, with Ed appearing later and Ein and Faye. Not gonna spoiler anything.. It really became an awesome series. Maybe if you are like me you can also give it a try.

With Gundam I thought series were ok but nothing special, I only watched Gundam(1979), Gundam Z and Gundam Victory.

But OVAs are different, I really, really enjoyed them.

What I watched:

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket​

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory​

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team​

Try these, If I'm not mistaken you don't even really need to know anything about Gundam in order to watch these, besides that there are two sides fighting, I believe anyone can just jump in without any prior knowledge.

Woah I've heard of quite a bit of those in that collection but haven't gotten around to watching them. Fate and Beserk have been on my list to watch for years and for one reason or another I haven't yet lol.

Your Lie In April got me re-interested in anime after not watching any since Inuyasha when I was in middle and high school back in the day. Since then I've watched the ones that I mentioned in a previous post can't remember them all but Future Diary, Erased silent voice Bloom into you. One that I forgot to mention was Death Parade that was a cool little anime I liked it a lot 3 ⭐.

I don't have a crunchy roll subscription but I've been thinking about getting it though I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I signed up for Funimation 7 day trial and I couldn't find anything to dive into or it could've been I didn't know where to start so I bounced around Sunday Without God, Kite, blue exorcist, ghost stories, 92 days. None of them grabbed me but I also wasn't disappointed in them either. One that did hook me was the Akudama Drive though unfortunately, Funimation wanted me to sign up to watch episodes 3-til the end and I was like WTF.

I also couldn't ever get into cowboy bebop or Gundam either I forgot to mention those in my Last post as well

If you have any recommendations I'm all ears I suppose I don't have a genre that I like more than any other. It's the story and characters that keep me interested. Though I may have set my standards and bar too high after finding my favorite Your Lie In April 5 ⭐.
I am honored that you consider my pathetic opinion worthy of consideration. Since Izumi is more of an anime expert than I'll ever be, I will only provide one recommendation. The anime I will recommend is Jun Maeda's Clannad anime. Much like Anohana, it is a very heavy drama that focuses on relationships with some fantasy elements thrown in for good measure.

@BloodyHeartland Since you seem to enjoy ecchi-type anime, I would recommend you try out the 1985 Dirty Pair television series.

@9dragons

Last edited:
Thanks! I feel like I’ve seen those characters before but might just have seen similar designs. Definitely never seen that anime before though.

The one great one I forgot to mention was Ghost Stories, especially since I rewatched some of it the other day with some friends. Good stuff, maybe not so good had it not been for the decisions made with the script and voice act but even so it’s hilarious.

Have I really not posted in here before?

Can’t say I’m as obsessed with anime in general as many other fans, but if I have to watch some form of media then generally I’ll try and go with anime first, at least these days.

First one I’ve ever watched was Sailor Moon, way back when I was real little...and I think Mars is the reason for some things I feel now. :p It is one of two collections I actually own but unfortunately come to find out it’s not the original English dub. At least I have access to all the stuff I haven’t watched of it yet.

I’d wager tons of kids watched Pokemon, Digimon, DBZ, most stuff that was on Toonami really. I vaguely remember a few others like Outlaw Star, Big-O I think? Oh, I did enjoy Hamtaro. But if those, DBZ was my main one for quite some time, until they aired the original Dragon Ball and I saw how that could be superior in ways that mattered more to me. I tried GT and didn’t like it much, and from the sounds of it the recent Super isn’t great either, so I’m content with just believing the series ended on the Buu saga.

Inuyasha had my attention for some time and I may still go back to it one day to finish the rest. But then Adult Swim aired Paranoia Agent and its been more or less my favorite ever since. So it’s the other collection I’ve got, spent way too much on it, but I’ve got some other films by Satoshi Kon as well; Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Perfect Blue, seen a few others. Speaking of films, I’ve also got A silent voice, Spirited away, and have seen Ghost in the shell, Red line, Akira, and Grave of the fireflies. Probably lots I’m forgetting.

Strike Witches, Witchblade, Queen’s Blade, Trigun, Cowboy bebop, Mushi-shi, all stuff I’ve seen at least some of. Excel Saga I loved, seen all of what there is to see if Berserk, and I guess my most recent obsession has been Jojo and I’m all caught up there now. There are some I might want to watch next but nothing pressing atm. Maybe Lucky Star.
Strangely enuf, My first exposure and spark of my anime appreciation started with K.O.R. and then FLCL.

I didn't grew up on the usual kids show tho I was aware of em, but on V.H.S. Tapes my relatives would bring home from HS anime clubs they were in.

Seems you've got a taste in more mature themed action anime's. Here's some pointers in that theme/genres if you want some under-appreciated gems.

it's a dark fantasy.

A very gripping tragic anime. Can be quite depressing if you're not mentally prep for it. :eek:

I a not up to date with the newest and latest anime to be honest. But I think I am going to check out some of the newest production.

Which current action anime and comedy anime you guys could recommend?
I'll toss an old niche gem and a newer work if you don't mind.

action:

older:

Newer:

Comedy:

older:

Newer:

Bonus:

Last edited:
I don't know if it the same for you as it was for me, but I also couldn't get into ether of them at first too.

With Cowboy Bebop I watched the first two episodes and kinda got bored, years later I decided to give it a try again, watched the first four episodes and almost gave up again but kept on watching anyway and surprise, around episode 6 it actually became really good and kept on getting better, with Ed appearing later and Ein and Faye. Not gonna spoiler anything.. It really became an awesome series. Maybe if you are like me you can also give it a try.

With Gundam I thought series were ok but nothing special, I only watched Gundam(1979), Gundam Z and Gundam Victory.

But OVAs are different, I really, really enjoyed them.

What I watched:

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket​

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory​

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team​

Try these, If I'm not mistaken you don't even really need to know anything about Gundam in order to watch these, besides that there are two sides fighting, I believe anyone can just jump in without any prior knowledge.
Gundam is harder to get into it cuz of the slow build up of the series. But the world building is top notch and diverse. I'm grateful for Sunrise putting out chewable size prequel/reboots with a faster pace and curated plot for those wanting to jump in on the original series and some of the cooler subplots/Ovas.

Reboot/prequel of the Original:

Rebooted expansion of a subplot Ova:

Another expanded Subplot reboot:

I am honored that you consider my pathetic opinion worthy of consideration. Since Izumi is more of an anime expert than I'll ever be, I will only provide one recommendation. The anime I will recommend is Jun Maeda's Clannad anime. Much like Anohana, it is a very heavy drama that focuses on relationships with some fantasy elements thrown in for good measure.
Don't sell yourself short. You've got your own refined taste, and great recc. Btw, Seen these(nicher Gen Urobochi works) yet? ;)

Once again thank you so much for these recommendations! They all seem fascinating and I greatly appreciate it. I also love that they're underrated and niche as well. All of their trailers greatly intrigued me and I'll be searching for them this weekend no doubt. Writing all of their names down. Thank you so much once more! I can't wait to find and binge them!
Your welcomed. Sorry to pile on but I'll stop after this set if it's getting too much. I've Just noticed that Bloom into you is one of your fav and it's a non-traditional anime in a sense. These are similar under-appreciated niche gems in tone/quality/genre if you want more of that stuff.

Whispered Words

Candy Boy

Morning Glories

Liz and the Blue bird

Blue Flowers

@高野和泉 Thanks a lot for the recommendations. I do not mind at all that you were mixing new and old stuff. On the contrary it is also nice to learn About new good anime. It does not matter if they are old are new.

ps I also quite enjoyed some animes with western themes during my early childhood in the early 90s. back then I did not know that were Anime.

The first Anime I have ever watched with the full knowledige that i was a Anime was Agent Aika.

Last edited:
Don't sell yourself short. You've got your refined taste and great recc. Btw, Seen these(nicher Gen Urobochi works) yet? ;)

Thanks for the compliments. No, I have not seen these anime yet, but I will add them to my watch list. Thank you very much for the recommendations. In turn, I would recommend you an underrated and niche OVA science-fiction anime titled "Download" directed by Rintaro. You can easily find it on YouTube. On a side note, I adore Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and Iron-Blooded Orphans.

@9dragons I appreciate the recommendation, but I have already seen and own Sword of the Stranger. The final battle in the movie is still hands-down in my opinion, the best-animated sword fight in anime. However, as gratitude for your suggestion, I would recommend you try out the 1995 (I believe) OVA fantasy martial arts title Shadow Skill.

@BloodyHeartland Another anime that I just remembered that you may like is the 1985 magical girl anime, Leda: The Fantastic Adventure of Yohko. While not as explicit as Queen's Blade, it does feature a girl transported to another world and dons a chainmail bikini. On top of that, the animation quality is superb.

While I won't post the video here due to it featuring nudity, I would also recommend the 1990 OVA series Devil Hunter Yohko. It was the first anime that ADV Films (now known as Sentai Filmworks) ever released. While I only enjoyed the first episode, it might be something you might have an interest in. Finally, as @9dragons mentioned in their post, Agent Aika is an action-ecchi anime.

Last edited:
Wow, this thread exploded!

I don't need to say this, but Izumi has impeccable anime taste, so his recommendations are top-notch.

Started watching the final season of Fairy Tail again, (FINALLY) and am now on episode 11. Some mighty big revelations in the first 7 episodes and while I'm not surprised at what has been revealed, I am a bit blown-away! lol

It is SUCH a good show.

I swear I have been spoiled by UFOTable as their animation quality is top-notch. The fight scenes depicted in Kotsugeki: Touken Ranbu, Fate/Zero, Kimetsu no Yaiba: Demon Slayer, Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works, etc, are some of the most fluid animations I have seen from anime. Given that anime tends to focus more on detail and less on animation quality, that is an impressive feat.

It's doubly impressive when you consider that most anime is created with a smaller budget in comparison to Western Animation, have a smaller amount of manpower, work extremely demanding hours, lower pay, and extremely high demand on a limited amount of time in comparison.

I swear I have been spoiled by UFOTable as their animation quality is top-notch. The fight scenes depicted in Kotsugeki: Touken Ranbu, Fate/Zero, Kimetsu no Yaiba: Demon Slayer, Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works, etc, are some of the most fluid animations I have seen from anime. Given that anime tends to focus more on detail and less on animation quality, that is an impressive feat.

It's doubly impressive when you consider that most anime is created with a smaller budget in comparison to Western Animation, have a smaller amount of manpower, work extremely demanding hours, lower pay, and extremely high demand on a limited amount of time in comparison.

Def in my top 10 studio rite now.

1.) Kyo-ani
2.) Sunrise
3.) Wit-studio
4.) Colorado
5.) Ufo table
6.) Bones
7.) Ghibli
8.) Mad House
9.) Comix Waves
10.) Trigger(Ex-Gainex)

their catalog is very hi-quality and some of their animations works are eye candy above the competition.

Def in my top 10 studio rite now.

1.) Kyo-ani
2.) Sunrise
3.) Wit-studio
4.) Colorado
5.) Ufo table
6.) Bones
7.) Ghibli
8.) Mad House
9.) Comix Waves
10.) Trigger(Ex-Gainex)

their catalog is very high-quality and some of their animation works are eye candy above the competition.
Substitute Comix Waves and Colorado for Gainax and MAPPA add Shaft and Seven Arcs and my list would be similar to yours.

Last edited:
Substitute Comix Waves and Colorado for Gainax and MAPPA add Shaft and Seven Arcs and my list would be similar to yours.
4-C, Toei, Gonzo, Manglobe, Troyca, Khara, PA Works, JC staff, Linden Films, David Productions, Production I.G. & A-1 are also some of my honorable mentions.(Not always consistent in quality, but have produced some really good gems once in a while.)

What is your one fav title/scene from each one of your top 10 studio that you'd regard as a highlight showcase?

Back