Anyone suspect that a chunk of shenmue 4 assets are already done

Looking at the stuff that didn't make it into the final product of shenmue 3 I suspect this could very well be the case

i also wonder if shenmue 3 was intentionally padded to safe the other halfe for shenmue 4 ether to make more money or knowing that certain aspects would be compromised they thought they would let shenmue 3 get the brunt of the the compromises in order to refine the other halfe with ether more time / money or both

if this is to be the case how would you all feel about that ?

Last edited:
No. I meant if what you're stating is true, haters are going to scream that this is a scam and that they used the money that was donated for S3 to create a future content.

To answer more directly your question, I don't mind whether this is possible or not and I don't want to think about it. It's already done.

What matters now for me is that if there's a S4, they can deliver an even better experience than S3. Focus on the future.

I hope so, but part of me also knows it's just wishful thinking.

No. I meant if what you're stating is true, haters are going to scream that this is a scam and that they used the money that was donated for S3 to create a future content.

To answer more directly your question, I don't mind whether this is possible or not and I don't want to think about it. It's already done.

What matters now for me is that if there's a S4, they can deliver an even better experience than S3. Focus on the future.
Ah ok no worries

I don't think they would have made any (or at least many) assets specifically for Shenmue 4 yet, given that they were already on a small budget and had to cut things for S3.
Still, they've now got some good quality assets they can re-use and modify (main characters, furniture, trees, grass), and possibly even more useful is they have an art style and a workflow full of development tools for designing levels and sequencing dialogues and QTEs and all that other game engine and world building stuff that is a significant time and cost.

i do feel the same.
things that partially went into development like the whole Bisha area / Character Perspective system / siege battles / affinity system for Shenhua etc etc could be used again and worked on more for a possible S4.
it's very very likely that some underdeveloped features will be carried out in S4.

this will further reduce development cost on top of the UE4 experience and ready assets and team from the get go.

I would assume so, especially if they were building the game like the Dreamcast titles. I think it's safe to assume that if there is a Shenmue IV coming, it will be out by next year since everything was built that is needed with Shenmue III and are more familiar with Unreal 4.

If there was more time between now and the release of the next gen consoles I'd say probably as thats whats happening with Capcom and Resident Evil. Anything leftover from 3 I think will only carry on in idea format til they're working the next gen.

Resident Evil 3's remake is obviously reusing assets as that game takes place in some of the same locations as 2 and so it makes sense, and also they're pushing that game out in April since PS5 will be out before year so use em before they become antiquated.

1.They have some animations for the cutscenes that didn't appear in the game.
2.They have some designed areas that didn't make it.
3.They also planned some more mini games that were cut.(Stealth mini game and some other ones)
4.They probably also have some voiced dialogues that were for the parts that were cut.

And above all of these they have assets of Shenmue 3 that they can reuse in 4.

I know, God forbid that backer money actually be used to make 2 games and keep the series going until its conclusion.

I also hope they developed part of Shenmue 4 together with Shenmue 3, just like they did with S1-2.
It's would've been the most clever thing to do in my opinion.

Also I want to see Baisha and the Great Wall in Shenmue IV, together with the cliff temple etc.

I also hope they developed part of Shenmue 4 together with Shenmue 3, just like they did with S1-2.
It's would've been the most clever thing to do in my opinion.

Also I want to see Baisha and the Great Wall in Shenmue IV, together with the cliff temple etc.

I'd say this is highly likely considering we have seen some unused areas like Bailu Village pre-release.

I'd say this is highly likely considering we have seen some unused areas like Bailu Village pre-release.

Exactly
I still want the fight with mr.muscle at the Great Wall before reaching the cliff temple.
My only fear is they could just cut them altogether.

Mr Muscles on the Great Wall has probably just become Mr Muscles one button fight on the Niaowu Castle Wall.

Back