Are details given by Suzuki over the years about Shenmue story canon?

Many of us will know that over the years, Suzuki has given details about the Shenmue story in interviews which hadn't been revealed in Shenmue 1 and 2 which many fans have taken as being canon. Fans would talk about the four bosses of the Chi Yu Men, who some of them definitely are and speculate about who may be one of the bosses. Fans knew names of characters who we hadn't even seen in any of the Shenmue games.

The problem I have with this is that fans forget to look at the story from Ryo's perspective. If Ryo hasn't come to know about it, then it's pure speculation.

I genuinely believe Suzuki and the writers forgot or failed to realise this. Yes, fans know who Niao Sun is, but Ryo doesn't. That's why there's no pay off when Ryo realises that the girl on the boat is....oh wait. Yep, it's just the girl on the boat but all dressed up, wearing makeup and a red wig.

Comments that Suzuki has made over the years about the Shenmue story and characters I feel influenced the writers of Shenmue 3 to such an extent that the writers had the fan's perspective in mind but failed to realise that its only the perspective of Ryo that counts.

Had they realised this, the story could have gone differently. As many fans are now speculating about whether Suzuki has made significant changes to his story, to talk about names of leaders who haven't even been mentioned to Ryo is, quite frankly, a waste of time because it is not canon.

Well, i personally still don't know shit about Niao Sun in all these years except her name and looks. Hoped to know more in Shenmue 3 given we knew she would appear in this game but we all know by now how this turned out...

Back