Best looking gaming consoles

I was thinking it would be a simple and fun thread to talk about which gaming systems have the best visual design. Try to stick with original main releases of hardware as much as possible (so no consoles with limited edition paint, shells, etc, unless you absolutely must ;) ). However, new iterations of hardware would count (ie, Sega Model 2, any "slim" versions of consoles, etc). Handhelds are good, too!

Try to remove any personal feelings about whether or not you like the console, or if it was a complete failure. It's ok as long as it looks great :cool:

Sega SG-1000

1280px-Sega-SG-1000-Console-Set.png

I have absolutely zero nostalgia for this system but I think I'm a sucker for simple and clean design. I really like the color scheme, and the blue and white contrast on the Sega logo and "Computer Video Game" text looks really nice. Perhaps there is indeed some subliminal nostalgia where I associate "blue" for Sonic and "orange" for Tails. I wouldn't be able to fit this console anywhere, but would love some sort of small model of this and the Master System.

Famicom

1920px-Nintendo-Famicom-Console-Set-FL.png

I grew up playing the much uglier NES, but I think I like how this system looks for many of the same reasons I like the SG-1000. I like that the shape of the console has a sort of futuristic feel to it, too (fine, maybe that means it's not "simple" like the SG-1000, but I still like it).

Panasonic 3DO
1920px-3DO-FZ1-Console-Set.png

It just looks like a premium, towering device worthy of it's (insane!) pricetag of $699. It might be the first gaming console I can think of that looked like it belonged with other high end equipment in a home theater set-up (perhaps the CD-I could be considered the same way, but I think this looks better). I like the look of the columns in the corners mixed in with the flat sides and top. For those who don't know, The 3DO company licensed out their specs to other companies who could then design the system as they wanted, so there are consoles made by Panasonic, Goldstar, and Sanyo, but I think the Panasonic ones look best.

I had a few others in mind, but it would be dumb for me to just list 6+ consoles in the first post. Looking forward to what you come up with!

Cool topic..

Microsoft: Original Xbox, Original Xbox one, Xbox 360 Slim/Elite

Sony: Original PS1, PS3 Slim

Sega: Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis 1st Generation

Nintendo: N64 and to a lesser degree Wii.

Other: Panasonic 3DO

Ugliest: PS2 Fat

*I actually bought the Panasonic 3DO in 1997 for $160 at a flea market with Gex even though it had already failed and was no longer supported based on the fact that the system looked so iconic and badass for its time. I could never find any other games at that time so I ended up getting rid of it.

Reactions: red
PS3 fat for the Mecha/Gundam feel although I'm not sure it aged well.

I honestly don't really like any of the PlayStation designs except for maybe PS4. PS1 is too plain, PS2's front profile is kind of ugly with the grill and overhang, PS3 fat is just too inefficient and a little ridiculous with the curved top. Just my opinion of course :cool:

For Microsoft, I think the Xbox One is their best looking system, probably neck and neck with the 360. The original Xbox is just too cheesy looking for me. I personally never liked "GAMER!!@!" designs, if that makes sense.

For Sega, I think the Model 1 NTSC Saturn looks best out of anything besides the SG-1000. Also the Model 2 Japanese Saturn, which is all white (and I think the controllers add a lot). I do really like the "premium" gloss at the front of the Model 1's and it definitely would be nice for the Model 2's, but I think it was removed to make manufacturing cheaper.

1920px-Sega-Saturn-Console-Set-Mk1.jpg

white%2Bsaturn.JPG

my vote would go to the 3do as well. i think if the ps5 looked like the panasonic 3do not many people would complain.

my older cousin had a panasonic 3do back in the day. i got to play it as a kid. i played lots of games but demolition man was the main one which stood out.

definitely futuristic compared to the snes which i would normally play. i remember the console being really heavy, it seemed like a quality console (for the day) but i didnt care much for the controller.

The Dreamcast had one of the BEST controllers ever made, save for the d-pad for fighting games (which doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I don't play Capcom fighters).

Light, looked great, felt great in your hands, awesome triggers, great analog, responsive, VMU slots were ingenious, etc.

N64 was a significantly worse controller and was much more painful for the hands. Gamecube controller was even worse for D-Pad and the Z+C-stick were completely redundant and useless. Can go on.

you gotta admit, the dreamcast had the worst controller.. it was painful to use.
Well the thread it's about consoles, I didn't take in count the controllers, we should do a different topic about that :LOL:

At least, the DC pad is iconic.
dreamcast bleu (retouché).png

Haven’t really thought about it much. I guess I don’t really know much before the SNES, nor am I very familiar with Sega’s consoles before the Dreamcast.

Guess I’ll go with GameCube for the purple and general design, and Wii because the stand made it look cool and the blue light in the disc drive was neat.

is superficial and all about looks, not functionality.
Damn, I was going to say Xbox one controller because it fixes perfect in my hands (not like the dualshock 4 that seems to be made for children's hands).

If I have to chose one only for the looks, I'll say Dreamcast's controller.

So for me, Dreamcast it's the best good-looking console and has the best good-looking controller :D

Last edited:
UJ28vNgUFuCpX5ZfjASGdE.jpg

Sega Dreamcast -- Way ahead of its time in so many fronts. Even the design was ahead of its time. It was doing the minimalist thing even before Apple started with the sterile white minimalist design with the iPod. It's just a really sleekly designed console that I think still holds up to this day. Just keep it clean and don't let it go yellow.

MzE5OTcyMA.jpeg

Atari 2600 -- Dat Wood Grain finish!

P7D034502001.jpg

Sega Saturn -- Just like it innards, it screamed "beast of a machine!" No wonder it had Segata Sanshiro as its mascot.

PlayStation_2-jpg.jpg

PlayStation 2 -- The optional verticality option was what did it for me.

ps4.jpg

PlayStation 4 -- I quite like the original PS4 design. It hearkens back to the PS2 design while giving it that nice curve finish. Also the Dual Shock 4 is the best the Dual Shock ever has been (bar the battery life; Dual Shock 3 still shits all over the DS4 in battery life department)

5df3a184fd9db222d0026954 (1).jpeg

Xbox One Series X -- I laughed when I first saw it, but now, it's kind of grown on me. The odd desktop tower shape is kind of awesome. Have no need to buy one though considering I just built a gaming PC and Microsoft releases all of their stuff on PC anyways, but I don't know...I could still see me buying one for backwards compatibility and that damn shape...it's just grown on me the more I look at it.

Sega_Mega_Drive_PAL.jpg

Sega Mega Drive -- Oh Mega Drive...how I will always love you!

Back