Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Resident Evil 4 Remake
PSN
wesker85
Steam
Puma085
As I am not the only Retro gaming fan here, you guys might help me with that matter.

I become recently intersted in using my ps2 again for some ps2 exlusives I missed back then and that they are not available on any other console.

The Problem is, that my ps2 was retired in 2007 when the ps3 arrived. My launch ps2 from 2000 is still in working order, but I just used Composite leads on CRT for the whole time the console was relevant for me. Did not know any better back then. I was Young and stupid.

In 2019 Composite leads on the Framemeister look horrible when i tested it yesterday. I am too spoiled with the great vga and component Image of my Dreamcast and Gamecube I guess.

I am Aware that the Image Quality of the ps2 was not as good as the DC and the Gamecube but that does not mean that I have stick Composite.

Component and RGB Scart are way more better alternatives, even though the Image Quality will still not be as good as the one of other consoles. At least according to some Youtube Videos and Forum Posts in the Internet.

Do you guys have any experience with the Framemeister and the PS2? Is component better than RGB scart on the Framemeister or vice versa?

I would highly recommend component cables, especially if you are going to be using an HD TV.

I played Yakuza for PS2 using component cables on my HD TV and was really surprised with how good it looks! They make a big difference from the composite cables, even on a CRT TV.

THIS is the single biggest thorn in my side about gaming, to the point where my poor PS2 games have been packed up in storage for years :(:
God I hate that!

Even with a Component cable the image quality loks abysmal! The image is sharp and scrip but every edge of a character or buidling is just too Jaggy. A few select games that have Progressive Scan output like Tekken 4 look sensational, but it really isn't much.

I bought Limited Runs POUND HDMI Cable , but to catter for PS1 consoles as well, they had to limit it to 480... & It looked no better than using a Scart cbale...

I'ev also tried using Cheat Discs & Mods on Memory Cards, but they're settings are very tempremental and very really got good results.

I also have a PS3 Which is backewards compatible, but the sounds like an Airport, I can use a 5M HDMI Cable and put in another room (Something I have to do with my PS4 Pro on demanding games too!), but it's hardly suitable.

So yeah, I've searched many options but simply not had any results to where I feel content :(

I would just save all the frustration and get a small CRT which I personally use or up to 20" max since it doesn't require two people to carry it if you're in good enough shape.

CRT with S-Video (or RGB depending on where you live I think) or Component input which is what I use for all console before seventh generation. I even tried a good quality component cable (HD retrovision) on a LCD and the video output is still crappy. Very pixelated and contrast/brightness seems off on a LCD TV no matter how I set it along with weak colors. 480p doesn't seem to show differences in all games from the TVs I tried. I remember Tekken 5 looking CRT quality though with 480p, but that was it. I won't even go there with Dremacast VGA which had the same issues.

CRT just looks great with s-video or component though HD retrovision on my CRT was too rich and I had to use cheaper component cables to get the right image. Everything looks sharp and had just enough richness, but not to the point of pixelation.

I'm just frustrated that in this day and age that LCDs still are garbage at rendering low resolution signals. I don't trust those expensive scalers like ossc or framemister since I feel that even if you can get a decent picture from it, it won't look as good as a CRT. It's for those who are really stuck with LCD and have no other options.

Last edited:
@Vivi-gamer Yes unfortunately the ps2 is the least future proof console o that generation. The Gamecube and the Xbox are much more usable today. Even with the Framemeister, that works well with other consoles it seems to be tricky to get a decent picture.

That Guy Yes CRT would be the best for the purists, but sure if I want to go that way. I am too used too large screens, that it would be hard to bare to play on a small tv again. The problem is also that all LCD are made equal . Some are better with low res signal than others. They won't come into CRT territory I guess but good enough for me.

For now I have no space for a CRT so I will stick to my modern day tv and my upscaler, Would not outrule a CRT completly. I am interested into Light Gun games and CRT are the only way to play them. But as I said have no space for a CRT at the moment.

@Vivi-gamer Yes unfortunately the ps2 is the least future proof console o that generation. The Gamecube and the Xbox are much more usable today. Even with the Framemeister, that works well with other consoles it seems to be tricky to get a decent picture.

That Guy Yes CRT would be the best for the purists, but sure if I want to go that way. I am too used too large screens, that it would be hard to bare to play on a small tv again. The problem is also that all LCD are made equal . Some are better with low res signal than others. They won't come into CRT territory I guess but good enough for me.

For now I have no space for a CRT so I will stick to my modern day tv and my upscaler, Would not outrule a CRT completly. I am interested into Light Gun games and CRT are the only way to play them. But as I said have no space for a CRT at the moment.

I completely understand you. I have a 32" HDTV for my Xbox 360 and PS4, and after gaming on those two consoles for a few months, I decided to play some old games again on the 14" CRT and I had to get used to it again as I had to get used to the draw distance in older game as well. It took me a few weeks to get used to. I used to have a 20" CRT a few years ago, but long story short I had to sell it. It was a really good free one I found laying near a garbage dumpster, but it kept giving me headaches when I play 2D games, even far away. The small CRT is fine for me after getting used to it, but you do have to set close to the screen though. I have a spare 14" but the screen is slightly smaller due to having a built in DVD player at the bottom.

As you said, some LCDs are better at low res signals than others asI have seen this first hand. It was a bigger TV that looked better than a smaller one at showing SD content too. I remember having a 19" inch Samsung of some kind that looked good with low resolution signals as far as LCDs go. I did a near full playthorugh of Shenmue with that TV and only with S-video which the TV supported! The S-video was actually pretty good on that TV and VGA would look much better I imagine, but too bad I didn't have a cable for it at the time. I wish I still had that TV. PS2 looked good on it in 4:3 mode too by the way and looked passable enough to play on it. Screen was sharp in 4:3, but sprites were not somehow. I need to find the model number for that TV. Should have kept it as a PC monitor at least. It was the only LCD that would have been decent for older games too.

Back