• Our Shenmue III spoiler policy is now in effect. Please post all Shenmue III story details, imagery or videos in the Shenmue III spoiler forum only. If unsure about where to post content, play it safe and post it in the spoiler forum, or contact any members of the team for further info.

Better Textures by Streamer2k (OVERHAUL Texture pack) - Native mod: It works without SpecialK! -

Currently playing
shenmue chapter yokosuka
The scenery and various objects look really nice, although I would add more color to the earth and grass.

But Im not a fan of the jacket, it look woolly when the passport or s2 look brushed.
Can't you use the ryo passport or s2 texture as template, kind of like what you did with landi ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S
The scenery and various objects look really nice, although I would add more color to the earth and grass.

But Im not a fan of the jacket, it look woolly when the passport or s2 look brushed.
Can't you use the ryo passport or s2 texture as template, kind of like what you did with landi ?
Thanks! You are right about earth and grass, I made a lot of tests before final release raising and lowering color saturation, but the true is that Shenmue I has always had muted colors unlike Shenmue II which has more vivid colors:

I wanted to stay close to original textures so I muted colors a bit using photoshop's "match color" tool.

Lucky for you, I have uploaded my uncompressed assets in Nexus. You will find them in Miscellaneous files. You can edit any texture to your liking. In that case for getting vivid colors you only have to raise Color Saturation with a photo editor like Gimp or photoshop and then packing all the files with ShenmueArchiver, as it is explained in this tutorial (step 6, 7 and 8): https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/guide-replacing-textures-using-d3ts-sdtextureoverride.1377/

About the jacket, I have no problem in making a pack with passport Jacket as an optional download. If somebody can send me the passport jacket texture I would add the HD logos and make the replacement.

OP
OP
S
The new textures look great! What's next on the checklist?
Thanks! There are a lot of remaining textures that needs a remake like the Dojo, Ryo's House, the harbour, Dobuita and a lot of interiors, npcs... After that, who knows? Maybe Shenmue II :cool: But for now, I am taking a break. I am going to be very busy with little free time in the next months and I won't have time for retexturing a lot.

Currently playing
shenmue chapter yokosuka
I understand about muted colors, I thought the garden was more brownish, maybe it's because of your new grass.

I will see what I can find about passport ryo.

Is it possible to convert texture mods that require SpecialK to native mods like yours? SpecialK causes all kinds of issues for me. Too bad since using mods like the New Coke Vending Machines, HD Notebook etc. would be awesome.

I really enjoy using your native mod, so I am looking forward to updates for this mod.

OP
OP
S
Is it possible to convert texture mods that require SpecialK to native mods like yours? SpecialK causes all kinds of issues for me. Too bad since using mods like the New Coke Vending Machines, HD Notebook etc. would be awesome.

I really enjoy using your native mod, so I am looking forward to updates for this mod.
I am happy you are enjoying it! My intention is to retexture more areas of course (maybe the dojo will be the next area to be retextured) but at the moment until next year I won't be able to do more stuff because I am very busy lately. No free time at all!

And yes, it is possible to convert SpecialK mods to native mods. In fact, this is what I am doing with my texture pack. First. I do the SpecialK version because the SpecialK live viewer is very useful for replacing textures fast without exiting the game. After that, I reconvert my specialK textures to native format following this tutorial that LemonHaze wrote: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/guide-replacing-textures-using-d3ts-sdtextureoverride.1377/

To follow this tutorial, first you have to extract all the texture files with their hexadecimal number using wudecon tool. To achieve this, use the following command:
wudecon.exe --tacfullv "D:\Games\Shenmue\sm1\archives\dx11\data\disk_5be2c578.tad" "D:\EXT" "D:\MODELS" mt5
(https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-wudecon-file-model-converter-for-sm1-sm2.885/page-2#post-30397)

After that I use ImgSeek to find out which hexadecimal ID corresponds to the vanilla SpecialK texture that I want to reconvert to native format (Imgseek will compare the vanilla specialK texture against all the vanillla textures I've extracted with wudecon finding the hex number. To achieve this, first you have to rotate 180º and flip horizontally the vanilla SpecialK texture you are going to reconvert and save it as png).

Finally, if you have identified the hex number you can follow the LemonHaze tutorial that I've linked above.

Ren

I love your project. Seems to be the best one now and the one with most potential.
Do you plan to do the same for Shenmue II?
Shenmue II seems to be very lacking in mods which is sad.

OP
OP
S
I love your project. Seems to be the best one now and the one with most potential.
Do you plan to do the same for Shenmue II?
Shenmue II seems to be very lacking in mods which is sad.
Thanks! Yes, Shenmue II is on the list, but first Shenmue I needs some more time. There are a lot of areas like the dojo, the harbour or the interiors remaining.

Reactions: Ren