Better than Shenmue 1&2: Your thoughts?

Shenmue 3 failed at what I like most about Shenmue: Character and Story. Gameplay wise its better than Shenmue 1 but overall Shenmue 2 is still the best. Shenmue 2 > Shenmue 1 > Shenmue 3

Shenmue 3 just screwed up with its new characters and everything after Bailou was a complete joke. Villains were terrible all around. The encounter with Lan-Di was just bad. While I find Shenmue 1 to be boring until pretty much the final act, it was a compelling narrative all through out with interesting and believable people and mythology.

There's plenty of problems with the story and characters, but the showdown with Lan Di was outstanding.
Fully agree!
The final encounter was everything I wanted from the 1st encounter with Lan Di. Not even a single strike! Depsite all you threw at him he blocked and swiftly evaded - it was perfect! Arugably it could have gone on for a little longer but I am so glad they didn't deminish Lan Di's strength! It's a moment I will never forget and easily one of my favouirte from the game and probably this generation of gaming.

Fully agree!
The final encounter was everything I wanted from the 1st encounter with Lan Di. Not even a single strike! Depsite all you threw at him he blocked and swiftly evaded - it was perfect! Arugably it could have gone on for a little longer but I am so glad they didn't deminish Lan Di's strength! It's a moment I will never forget and easily one of my favouirte from the game and probably this generation of gaming.
That kick he gave Ren... oof. I felt that.

it could have gone on for a little longer
Yeah, that's my one complaint. I really wish it had been about three or four times longer, just to really let the futility of it sink in.

Back