Blu-Ray release for Shenners?

I have always wondered: is a blu-ray considered merchandising?

We don't know the exact details of that deal with Sega, so merchandising could very well just be action figures, clothing, posters, that sort of thing, and not the series itself in a physical copy.

As far as I know, when you buy a physical copy, you are not exactly buying the content but just a "physical license" that gives you the right to access that content according to certain terms and conditions, the same ones that may apply to a copy purchased digitally. This happens with games and all the other types of media sold on discs.

If Sega doesn't have the right to sell digital copies of the series, I don't think they have the right to sell physical copies either. Maybe they get paid for the box and physical materials, but not the contents of the disc.

The rights to this series are shared by so many companies that it ended up complicating the whole process. The series only exists thanks to that, but that's also why it ended up having a short life... 😑
Iirc, when asked about a Blu-Ray release during his interview with the Dojo, JD said that it was completely up to Sega. Of course, I could be wrong about that, as it was quite some time ago that I watched it.

You’re probably right about the overly complicated nature of the deal that led to the show’s creation causing confusion though. Perhaps WB has asked Sega not to do anything with it, and, due to how little they’d stand to make from a Blu-Ray release, Sega has just gone along with it to avoid scuppering any future deals. Anything’s possible, really.

Iirc, when asked about a Blu-Ray release during his interview with the Dojo, JD said that it was completely up to Sega. Of course, I could be wrong about that, as it was quite some time ago that I watched it.

You’re probably right about the overly complicated nature of the deal that led to the show’s creation causing confusion though. Perhaps WB has asked Sega not to do anything with it, and, due to how little they’d stand to make from a Blu-Ray release, Sega has just gone along with it to avoid scuppering any future deals. Anything’s possible, really.
That's right. All merch rights are held by SEGA so I'd imagine that covers a Blu-Ray release as well but who knows.

There's so many fingers in the Shenmue pie over the last 20 years that it's hard to keep track of these days.

At this point, all we know is that we know nothing. 😅

We just have to keep the faith and do our best so that the game and the animated series are not forgotten.

Today, there are Shenmue fans in all the high places, so you never know when someone manages to use their influence and make a miracle happen. And we, more than anyone else, know that miracles can happen. 😇

This is such a pity, in a way I think the cancellation of Season 2 is even worse than potentially not getting a 4th game. I just can't imagine Sega or even YSnet no ponying up the (relatively) small cost of 2-3 million. Probably some corporate BS meaning the licence can't be renewed / WB having first refusal etc

I think we could ask for a artwork collection of Shenmue Anime.
A collection of heavy books per game , The Art of Shenmue is one of my dreams after Shenmue IV gets released.
Concerning the anime, the cels used could be auctioned to get funds for the cause.
I talked a lot this week Im gonna shut up now. A few days lurking up in the roofs will be good.

Back