[Ended] Call for Questions: Shenmue 3 Developers Interview

1. Are they working on Shenmue 4 currently? If so, when can we expect S4 to release?

2. Any other Shenmue 3 DLC coming out after the Boat?

3. Is Shenmue 3 coming to Xbox One?

1. Are they working on Shenmue 4 currently? If so, when can we expect S4 to release?

2. Any other Shenmue 3 DLC coming out after the Boat?

3. Is Shenmue 3 coming to Xbox One?
Ambitious questions... I like your style!

How did the gig for Shenmue III come about? How did you end up working on the project.

Given the notoriety around the game was this a challenge to manage throughout the project.

-Snow weather were planned for a specific period?

-The moon is very huge, was it originally planned to be like that?

-Is there any particular reason of why afternoon to evening shadows goes crazy at 18:15 PM?

-How much of Fortified Castle area were developed? Could Ryo enter it from Niaowu and go back at will to do more sidequests?

-Fortified Castle pawnshow quest was originally planned to explore more of the area?

Nintendo Switch - Ports? Plans?

Other games / New IP ?

One aspect of S3 you are pleased with? One aspect you are unhappy with?

Do you know of Yakuza? Do you like/dislike?

Why all the furniture in S3? Potential house building DLC?

Any cancelled DLC? Why cancelled?

PS5 - Any upgrades/plans for S3 for PS5?

Favourite flavour of crisp/chip?

Any piece of clothing you wanted to include but couldn't? Why?

Would you explore any other medium to tell the Shenmue story? Comic/Novel/Film/Cartoon electronically etc?

How did you end up working on Shenmue 3 dev?

If you had infinite money what would you want to make? Could be anything you like...

Shenmue 5 yes or no?
Shenmue 0 yes or no?

Will we see Ryo and friends in other games/experiences in the future?

Monkey Suit or Birthday Suit? Your choice will be next S3 DLC.

Choose any of those you feel relevant or appropriate. All the best!

Were any Shenmue Online ideas, plans, or assets repurposed for Shenmue 3? If so, please describe :)

Last edited:
Was ant work done on Baisha, cut locations, or future locations?

Why was Shenhua's house changed compared to Shenmue II?

Were you able to use any concept art or old content from Shenmue III on the original Xbox? It was rumored in one of the books (the Odyssey Of Shenmue, maybe?) that it was to be announced at E3 2004, I believe.

• Were the mystical elements in Shenmue 3 purposely toned down? In the opening scene in the cave, we don't see the floating sword!
  • Was Niao Sun originally intended to appear earlier in the game? She boarded the same boat to Niawou as Ryo and Shenhua, so at the very least, she was presumably close to Bailu village (around the Langshuishan port area?)
  • Why were throw moves removed from Ryo's arsenal? Was it too difficult to implement them into the new fighting system or is there a different reason? I was really looking forward to using demon's triangle!
  • Is Chai a chiyoumen member in Shenmue 3? What is his connection to Niao Sun?

1.Did the large scale of Niaowu affect the amount of NPC's that could inhabit Niaowu? And were there originally plans to have the city more populated than it is in the final version?

2. Were there difficulties in limiting the amount of pop in/load in in the environments, particularly in Niaowu?

Will cut content from 3 like Baisha appear in future games?
What lessons did you learn from working with Yu Suzuki?
If there was one job in the game you could do over, what would it be?

Is the closed door in Niaowu because they couldn't load the other part of the map or is a level design decision ?

I guess @Switch will filter them, but I don't think those questions about story or publishing will get answered by some programmers/level designers. Some of the other questions are really great, though. I would add these:

- Did Yu Suzuki use music as a way of inspiring you on designing the graphics? (like he admitted to do during the original games development)
- With the way the background music works in Shenmue III, did you have to work closely with the sound design team? (to decide the points of the map where the music changed)
- Did you, at any point, consider implementing HDR support in the game? Would it be hard to do?
- Were you given access, for inspiration or any other purpose, to any kind of old assets of the Shenmue III part of the story from its Saturn, Dreamcast or Xbox days?

Thanks to all for submitting your questions.

Next we'll collate and make question selections and arrange the interview. Watch for an update later on!

Any news on when this interview might take place or be published? Fiending for some post-release words from the crew.

I stumbled upon Junichi Yoshida, the lead writer, on a popular job networking site. Guessing it’s a bit iffy to contact him. His entire profile is in Japanese for one. That’d be a fascinating interview.

Last edited:
Back