Chai's Room - Does Chai Have a Family?

Favourite title
Shenmue III

Here is the clip for Chai's Room if you missed the Easter Egg. I know it's supposed to be funny, but does Chai have a family? XD It's also apparent that it's his room because of his clothes hanging on the left wall. He has a poster of himself, and he really enjoys bananas and the picture of Ryo. What were you able to pick up from Chai's room?

He even has a fire hydrant that really could have come in handy for that ending.

I think it’s just intended as a humorous (albeit out of place) easter egg. I wouldn’t put much analysis into it really. I don’t think Chai has a family or even much development outside of just being a one dimensional henchman.

Again, it was to add the fanservice.

From what I can tell, he also likes Chai a lot; if it was a throwaway character, I doubt he would've added him.

Fan service. Same as the forklift. Shenmue 3 is marred with tons of fan service, perhaps Yu felt an obligation to some key backers to take their input - big mistake imo.

I dont think it was a mistake. I think it was more of a safe approach. He is a familiar character.

Fan service where Ryo doesn’t even seem to acknowledge he’s met Chai before, that is. I’ve grumbled about this already, but given he is explicitly referred to as a ‘Shenmue 1 character’ in that capsule machine, and is seen in the recap movie, really is infuriating and very sloppy
Two words of dialogue could of made it much better : “You again!?” -that is literally all Ryo had to say to make it feel better

It was pretty dumbfounding to have Ryo seem like he’s not met Chai before. That did stick out to me a lot.

As far as him reappearing, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not so much ‘fan service’, but the plan having always been to make him a recurring character. Like Gollum in a way. His importance increases the further along we go and he ends up playing a key role in later events. Just wildly speculating.

It was pretty dumbfounding to have Ryo seem like he’s not met Chai before. That did stick out to me a lot.

As far as him reappearing, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not so much ‘fan service’, but the plan having always been to make him a recurring character. Like Gollum in a way. His importance increases the further along we go and he ends up playing a key role in later events. Just wildly speculating.
He did have an unused character model in Shenmue II after all. So I agree that there's a good chance he was always meant to reappear. But yeah, they really dropped the ball by not having Ryo and Chai acknowledge that they already knew each other.

He did have an unused character model in Shenmue II after all. So I agree that there's a good chance he was always meant to reappear. But yeah, they really dropped the ball by not having Ryo and Chai acknowledge that they already knew each other.
Perhaps they didn’t want to confuse new players by referencing events that weren’t contained directly in S3? Either way, I agree that it was sloppy from a narrative perspective.

Back