Chapters How many do you predict will be in Shenmue III? Shenmue IV & shenmue V

Ren

am2_4.jpg

1Q5NCiE.png
There was a plan for 16 chapters.

Since we have 3 locations in Shenmue III and this game doesn't have a huge budget we probably only getting chapter 7 to 9.

Shenmue 3 = chapter 7 to 9.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shenmue 4 = Chapter 10 to 13
(Anyway I think this game going to be bigger based on the whiteboard probably as big as Shenmue II and include 4 chapters)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shenmue 5 = Chapter 14 to 16

Will include the remaining chapters.

The chapter system is an outdated concept that doesn't really hold up - in-game, the parts of Shenmue II are labelled as 2, 3, and 4; and Shenmue III is being described as "Chapter 3" in Japanese promotional materials.

I'm expecting Shenmue III to have about the same amount of story as the first game, Shenmue IV to pick up the pace a bit (a la Shenmue II), and then Shenmue V to concentrate on the finale.

The chapters system hasn't made much sense in... well, forever. Suzuki has been adapting and changing things around since forever. Also, I'd argue what is widely considered chapter 2 (the Chai on the boat chapter) should not even be considered canon. Also, isn't Shenmue 2 only 3 chapters, not 4?

I recall from various interviews and articles that the chapter system now looks like this:

Shenmue - Chapter 1
Shenmue 2 - Chapter 3-5
Shenmue 3 - Chapter 6 and beyond

Source:
But then you also have Suzuki describing Shenmue 1, 2 & 3 as Chapters 1,2 & 3, AND that Shenmue 2 is Chapter 2 but borrows bits of Chapters 3, 4 & 5. To make things even more confusing, he also said in a video interview somewhere that Shenmue IV may re-visit Chapter 3 (the deleted train sequence from the Project Berkley teaser). o_O

To save money on my therapy bills, I'm just relying on the original four-part arc of the Virtua Fighter RPG, with one game aligning with each theme.
1pb7cUy.jpg

Shenmue 1: Sadness
Shenmue 2: Departure
Shenmue 3: Fight
Shenmue 4: Starting afresh

Whether parts of the latter themes overlap to provide a Shenmue 5, only time will tell.

Yeah, the chapter concept has been abandoned by Yu pretty much since the announcement of S3, if not earlier, I think

I think S3 will be about overcoming Lan Di, which Ryo will probably succeed in. Ryo will grow out of the whole revenge thing as a person and spare Lan Di's life. Then he will go against the remaining Chi You Men leaders. We may see some of that in S3 still.

From that point, there's two ways I could see S4 pan out.

One is Ryo and Shenhua defeating the rest of the Chi You Men leaders, including Tiandi (Tentei) and thus fulfilling their destinies, as described by Shenhua in the prologue.

The other one is, in S4, Ryo and Shenhua defeat all the Chi You Men leaders, except Tiandi (in fact, Niao Sun may already get defeated in S3, before, after or alongside Lan Di, we'll find out when S3 is released). After Ryo and Shenhua have defeated all the rest, S5 will be about the confrontation with Tian Di. That would make S5 the grand finale where you'd go all out against Tian Di.

Personally, as much as I'd love every additional Shenmue game, I'd prefer Yu to just wrap up the Saga with S4. Give the story a dignified ending in a good video game and not some novel, manga or anything. I hope S3 will sell enough copies to warrant S4 and Yu wraps it up that way. Having to make a fifth game to finish the Saga would put the future of the franchise in jeopardy once again.

Also, Yu said, four games may well be enough to finish the story.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/20/8818097/shenmue-3-story-11-chapters-kickstarter-yu-suzuki

Yeah, the chapter concept has been abandoned by Yu pretty much since the announcement of S3, if not earlier, I think

I think S3 will be about overcoming Lan Di, which Ryo will probably succeed in. Ryo will grow out of the whole revenge thing as a person and spare Lan Di's life. Then he will go against the remaining Chi You Men leaders. We may see some of that in S3 still.

One is Ryo and Shenhua defeating the rest of the Chi You Men leaders, including Tiandi (Tentei) and thus fulfilling their destinies, as described by Shenhua in the prologue.

The other one is, in S4, Ryo and Shenhua defeat all the Chi You Men leaders, except Tiandi (in fact, Niao Sun may already get defeated in S3, before, after or alongside Lan Di, we'll find out when S3 is released). After Ryo and Shenhua have defeated all the rest, S5 will be about the confrontation with Tian Di. That would make S5 the grand finale where you'd go all out against Tian Di.

Personally, as much as I'd love every additional Shenmue game, I'd prefer Yu to just wrap up the Saga with S4. Give the story a dignified ending in a good video game and not some novel, manga or anything. I hope S3 will sell enough copies to warrant S4 and Yu wraps it up that way. Having to make a fifth game to finish the Saga would put the future of the franchise in jeopardy once again.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/20/8818097/shenmue-3-story-11-chapters-kickstarter-yu-suzuki

I really want four games too, if at all possible. As much as I adore this series, I don't want to be a fossil by the time this story gets concluded because the franchise was put on hiatus yet again. I know that sounds incredibly selfish, but I'm genuinely petrified if this series gets shelved once more, and with more sequels, the chances of that happening may increase. Especially considering the amount of clickbait 'controversy' and derision that has been hurled toward the third game. Will Suzuki even want to work on two more sequels after such behaviour? I frankly wouldn't blame him if he doesn't.

Trying to make sense of the chapter system can only lead to madness.

Indeed, I'm with you guys. There should be four games. I really don't think people can wait the time that is required to get a Shenmue 5 out there. I feel like if Yu Suzuki says he could wrap the story up in Shenmue 4, then that's what he should do.

I think it would be really ridiculous and makes absolute no sense if Ryo defeats Lan Di in Shenmue III.
Ryo got a long way to go to reach Lan Di level.
Lan Di > Xiu Ying > Ryo.

Lan Di is superior to Xiu Ying.
While Xiu Ying is in a whole other level compared to Ryo...
She Defeated Don Niu in 3 seconds! It took Ryo around 300 seconds!(5 minutes).

would make no sense for Ryo to suppass Xiu Ying and Lan Di in a single game.
Lan Di hurt Xiu Ying in the project Berkeley video. I am sure that is his hand hitting her.
Atleast by the end Ryo could be at Xiu Ying Level and in by the end of Shenmue 4 be at Lan Di level.
They could change the story and make Lan Di the final boss and take out the Tian Di.

When ever we get Shenmue V will depend solely only on Shenmue III sales.
If it does sell well we will probably see a Shenmue V.
If it sells average then Shenmue IV
If sell badly which I doubt it will then the series will die.
But making Shenmue IV will be cheaper by reusing the engine of Shenmue III so it's unlikely we don't see Shenmue IV.
Yakuza got 5 games why Shenmue can't get 5 as well?

I recall from various interviews and articles that the chapter system now looks like this:

Shenmue - Chapter 1
Shenmue 2 - Chapter 3-5
Shenmue 3 - Chapter 6 and beyond

Source:
But then you also have Suzuki describing Shenmue 1, 2 & 3 as Chapters 1,2 & 3, AND that Shenmue 2 is Chapter 2 but borrows bits of Chapters 3, 4 & 5. To make things even more confusing, he also said in a video interview somewhere that Shenmue IV may re-visit Chapter 3 (the deleted train sequence from the Project Berkley teaser). o_O

To save money on my therapy bills, I'm just relying on the original four-part arc of the Virtua Fighter RPG, with one game aligning with each theme.
View attachment 1063

Shenmue 1: Sadness
Shenmue 2: Departure
Shenmue 3: Fight
Shenmue 4: Starting afresh

Whether parts of the latter themes overlap to provide a Shenmue 5, only time will tell.

That is interesting the train part.
I through it was going to be in future game and not that it was taken out on Shenmue II!

That is interesting the train part.
I through it was going to be in future game and not that it was taken out on Shenmue II!

Yeah, if we were to follow his Virtua Fighter RPG story treatment linearly, Chapter 3 would have occurred after Hong Kong/Kowloon but before Guilin. Unsure which game it would then be featured in - game 2 or 3?
gdc_vfrpg_11chapters.jpg
I have no idea which interview it was where Suzuki said parts of Chapter 3 could be revisited for Shenmue IV, but its definitely out there...somewhere.

Yeah, if we were to follow his Virtua Fighter RPG story treatment linearly, Chapter 3 would have occurred after Hong Kong/Kowloon but before Guilin. Unsure which game it would then be featured in - game 2 or 3?
I have no idea which interview it was where Suzuki said parts of Chapter 3 could be revisited for Shenmue IV, but its definitely out there...somewhere.

Interesting makes sense since Gui Ling quite far from Hong Kong.
He most had go by train to Macau then headed to Guilin on the boat ride.
guilin-map-on-world-china-city-google-search-guilin-pinterest.jpg

Last edited:
I feel confident the series will wrap up with V. A lot of the work they've done for III will carry over to IV and V, and there isn't the pressure of/need for a massive budget anymore.

Reactions: Ren
I feel confident the series will wrap up with V. A lot of the work they've done for III will carry over to IV and V, and there isn't the pressure of/need for a massive budget anymore.
I do have faith we may get Shenmue V as well.
We have to reconsider now things are completly different.
When shenmue was released on Dreamcast it was bleeding edge to be able to fit Yu vision.
But now technologies are more advanced to fit his vision as well there is no need to rewrite everything from scratch like before thanks to Engines like U3.

Shenmue failed because it was released on a dying console.
Then was released on a console that that there was no market for it's type of game.
If Shenmue was released on Playstation we would had a completely different story now.

Now that Shenmue is on 3 consoles it will have higher chance of success than ever before as well no need for an extravagant budget.

Wow, i've never seen these before. Was any other information released with regards to the chapters?

Wow, i've never seen these before. Was any other information released with regards to the chapters?

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but Suzuki discusses it in various interviews on YouTube.

All the images I cited here came from the 2014 Shenmue Postmortem with Yu Suzuki, which delves into how he made the first game.

Back