Choubu-Chan Thread

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Strider (2014)
Thought I would create a fun thread about the Choubu-chan mascot. A thread where we can help each other out in finding all of them throughout Niaowu. I am surprised this thread actually has not been created yet. So how many have you guys found and where did you find them in each store?

EEUdI3_U8AAlCFB.jpg

Sadly most didnt really care about the minigame of finding them all. The story is what the fans were drooling for and it didnt go too well in that regard

Sadly most didnt really care about the minigame of finding them all. The story is what the fans were drooling for and it didnt go too well in that regard

C'mon, you're entitled to be disappointed with the game but could you please show a little more respect to the OP by contributing something pertinent to the thread rather than trying to bring up the topic you want to talk about which is how the story let you down. The title of the thread isn't "Opinions on the Story" or "Minigame vs Main Campaign". There's plenty of threads for you to voice your displeasure. Again I get you're bummed out but the OP wanted to create a fun thread on this topic and your first post on it is trying to derail that mood whether you intend to or not.

Anyway, yeah I was pleasantly surprised by the minigame. I knew we had to find the mascot but had no idea what that would entail until I was looking at all the detail in the Tomato Convenience Store and accidentally bumped onto Choubu Chan. I never finished the quest as I wanted to finish my first playthrough but I'm on my second now and can't wait to go back to Niaowu to collect all the cards.

Thanks @Zapato for giving the link. I curiously want to take a peek but want to fully exhaust my options before I resort to the guide. Though I may need to end up looking up the vegetable one across from the florist at the pier. I searched high and low and never found one. Maybe I just didn't look at the precise spot. Hilarious that they found most if not all already.

Last edited:
Since not all of the shops cards count toward a move scroll in the exchange, it's next to impossible to actually track which ones you still need, which made this a hard quest to take seriously. Not each and every shop/stall had one, right? Or did they?

I definitely enjoyed the concept though.

Even if all 140 shops have one (I felt like some of the stalls didn't, but perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough) - the shop cards leave your inventory if you exchange for scrolls, making it difficult to know which ones you've found already. There doesn't seem to be a PS4 Trophy for collecting them all, either.

I wish they had organized the move scrolls and choubu-chan cards in a list that allows you to see how many you were missing. You could easily see which herb sets you had and which capsule toy sets you had.

How about you don't exchange the damn things until you've collected them all?

Since not every choubu card counts toward a move scroll, there's still no way of tracking how many you have total. Just saying, having a predetermined number of "slots" in your inventory for shop cards and move scrolls would have indicated how many were still out there - Shenmue 2 used this for move scrolls, pawn shop fliers, etc. Would be a nice feature to add in Shenmue 4, should we be so lucky to get it.

Understood, but that's what I'm saying; if there are 140 chobus to find, just wait until you reach 140 cards in your inventory... unless they don't show up (do they)?

They show up - you'd have to manually count (number in a row times number of rows sort of thing) - plus, has anyone confirmed there are 140? Are there exactly 140 shops? Some must be hidden really well! It seemed like some shops didn't have any. That link posted above doesn't claim to have found every last one

Do we know if there are any in the arcades and prize exchanges? Moreover, anything in places like the shrine, Save Shenmue, etc.?
I have 96, so we're getting there.

Edit: I just found two in the Liu Jiao Shrine, so this may be a long rodeo...

Last edited:
Do we know if there are any in the arcades and prize exchanges? Moreover, anything in places like the shrine, Save Shenmue, etc.?
I have 96, so we're getting there...
There is one in the arcade by Hotel niaowu (left side from the door), and one in the prize exchange just by the upper floor.

Even if all 140 shops have one (I felt like some of the stalls didn't, but perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough) - the shop cards leave your inventory if you exchange for scrolls, making it difficult to know which ones you've found already. There doesn't seem to be a PS4 Trophy for collecting them all, either.

I wish they had organized the move scrolls and choubu-chan cards in a list that allows you to see how many you were missing. You could easily see which herb sets you had and which capsule toy sets you had.
Every stall definitely has one. All shops do too. Save Shenmue and a couple places like the wooden dummy cafe and golden goose dont afaik.

I love the creativity in the placement and camouflaging. I wish the mechanic to find it was different though. As it is I often lock on automatically before I had even spotted it, especially in the stalls. In the bigger shops however I can spend a good while looking for it.

My favorite so far is at the mooncake stall.

Regarding the one in the shrine: Does anyone know the combination to open the buddha statue?
circle,square,square, circle,circle,square or B,X,X,B,B,X. But you only get the same shop card you can find in the same room as the statue, not the one in the midst of the backers names, but the one on left side of the backers name where the chobu chan is.

Back