Co-op Games That Also Have Online Split-Screen?

Hi,

As we step back into a society with caution after the last year+ (I say that cautiously too, I still wear a mask out...) Me and my friend have began to meet up again for gaming nights... the problem is that Fortnite has now messed up the Splitscreen Mechanics of the game! Long story short it used to be split vertically which utilised the full screen but now it has been split horizontally with our characters Avatar plastered on the side... it's awful and the screen is now too small to even enjoy.

So we're looking for suggestions... Ideally games which are Co-op & offer a way for us to compete on the same team versus online - I don't mind if we're on a team together with other players too, it doesn't just have to be us two alone in one team.

We did play Rocket League but a few years back they bunked up all the rules and the game became less enjoyable to play - & Now it also has a Season Pass system which makes unlocking items with payment bland.

So I'm really stumped for ideas, we still have the Gears of War games to play but I got the impression he wasn't too bothered on that.

We're currently playing Untilted Goose game which is a laugh and I did get No Straight Roads to play but narrative based campaigns can only last for so much - Thought if you have any suggestions on offline couch co-op titles I'll be interested in hearing them too!

These lists are kind of aimed more towards the PS3/360 Era onwards.

Co-op Splitscreen Campaign
Army of Two Series
Borderlands Series
Call of Duty Series
Destroy All Humans Series
Earth Defense Force Series
Halo Series
Gears of War Series
LEGO Game Series
Resistance Series
A Way Out
Far Cry 3
Kane & Lynch
Kane & Lynch 2
Killzone 3
It Takes Two
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Lord of the Rings: Conquest
Lord of the Rings: War in The North
Lost Planet 2
Portal 2
Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Sonic All Star Racing
Sonic All Star Racing Transformed
Team Sonic Racing
The Simpsons Game
Watchmen The End is Nigh
Untitled Goose Game

Co-Op Splitscreen + Competitive Online
Fortninte (Vertical Splitscreen Only...)
Rocket League
Call of Duty Black Ops 4 (Performance Issues on PS5 & not Full Screen)

Last edited:
I'm doing exactly that with a childhood friend of mine and ironically COVID made us connect more through gaming, as we live in different countries. Well, about your question, the only co-op game with split-screen mechanics that I know of is A Way Out, an action-adventure game by the same makers of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Haven't played it myself but it looks fun with a friend. An offline game I've played recently is We Were Here Together, a co-op puzzle adventure in which both players are often in different parts of the "map" holding different pieces of a common puzzle. Its originality comes from the fact you have to be good at communicating with each other as the other person holds the key to the solution for your puzzle and vice-versa. There's no split-screen but the idea was quite creative, though short game.
Aside from that, games we enjoy a lot as a co-op experience (no split-screen afaik) include Valheim (survival-building, action-adventure hybrid), Deep Rock Galactic (PvE shooter with a great sense of humour), Rust (play only on PC, and it's a brutal game but one of the very best in the genre Survival-Building PvP), Hunt: Showdown (the most immersive PvP/PvE hybrid FPS I've ever played, just the soundtrack makes it worth it) and R6 Siege (if it's straight up online competitive FPS, this is my pick just for its tactical prowess).

A Way Out is a great game, we had a lot of fun with that! I'm also hoping to get their next game It Takes Two as well when the prices drop - I also recommended Brothers to my friend last month as we had PlayStation Now for a £1 trial and that's a short, decent game.

Yeah we're still looking for games we can play Online & Splitscreen while he's here. We tried Call of Duty Black Ops 4 the other day as I heard that had Vertical Splitscreen... but the aspect ratio was in a cinemascope & and it could barely run on PS5!

I'll make a list of confirmed games above just incase anyone else visits with the same question.

Back