Consumables

If you've seen the last screenshot, you would've noticed some sort of a bottle near the health bar, with the number " 1 " besides it.

Uvcw0nL.png

It's safe to assume this is some kind of a consumable, maybe a health potion or an attack power up.

How do you feel about this? It's a very un-Shenmue addition If I'm being honest, but it's hard to tell to what extent it will be implemented. I just hope they don't get ridiculous like eating the fish you caught to restore health mid-fight.

actually, if it was a bit MGS3 of eating what you catch, sans the clunky Snake Eater menu walls; I wouldn't mind. Then again, i've an intense bias, being my favorite game in one of my favorite trilogies (PW and GZ are good, 4/5 are... underwhelming and unnecessary.)

Maybe it's a resource management mechanic, like a hunger meter. Or boosting item a la Yakuza. We never got to try those awesome looking restaurants in the past games. Maybe we get to bump into Tom in China and finally try one of his hot dogs. Who knows? I'll judge when I see it in action.

Obviously since I know nothing about it I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it does worry me. It's just not very Shenmue...

I wouldn't worry too much. Change can be a very good thing!
Yeah it could be something great. That symbol might mean something completely different than I'm imagining, so I'm open to whatever YS does. It's just that if it is what I'm imagining, then I don't like it lmfao

I actually do hope it is food because even though we could buy certain foods in the previous games, they were quite useless. Lol

Not much a fan in The Witcher but in Shenmue's case, I do welcome the concept. The vending machine animation will finally get a real purpose other than the lottery. Immersion is the credo of Shenmue, I'm confident it will be well implemented without looking too arcadey.

I wouldn't like a system that requires you to top up your hunger/thirst as that would detract from the experience. Maybe caffeinated drinks could give Ryo a small boost in energy or make him less tired at night? Same could work for coffee or whatever.

i just really really hope this has nothing to do as a life bar refilling... please don't.
this doesn't make sense at all and it won't resonate well with what Shenmue is.
but i am still positive it wont.

I actually do hope it is food because even though we could buy certain foods in the previous games, they were quite useless. Lol
not really.
i understand that they should incorporate some hunger-system into the game, it will be really interesting but they still do have a purpose with the raffle tickets.

I'd love to have Ryo able to eat at noodle places or something.
They could even get crafty and just let us order something off the menu, have ryo sit down...before having the screen fade/black out.
Then 20 mins later on the clock, have our boy get up and say something stoic like "tasty".

In other words, a cheap yet fulfilling way to waste an in-game 20 minutes.

Considering how long it takes for Ryo to drink a can of soda in Shenmue 1 I think he would be knocked out by the time he finished it during a fight.

It's a very bizarre, oddly specific looking bottle in the screenshot. This indicates to me that it may be something other than a traditional health potion as why would they use a bottle of that design? Unless of course you can pick up a variety types and they would each show differently.

Personally, I hope they don't introduce health potions, as part of Shenmue for me is the realism of the fights. In actual fights drinking a drink would not help you regain health but rather needlessly expose you to attack.

I hadn't noticed this until now! Very interesting. It must be a consumable of some type, with the number '1' next to it. I'm hoping it's not a "healing potion".

Perhaps it has something to do with the game generally shifting in tone to a more mystical/fictional vibe, which has been confirmed numerous times. Perhaps it's a one-use type item which would grant Ryo a special power in combat? I hope not, just throwing out a different suggestion!

I hadn't noticed this until now! Very interesting. It must be a consumable of some type, with the number '1' next to it. I'm hoping it's not a "healing potion".

Perhaps it has something to do with the game generally shifting in tone to a more mystical/fictional vibe, which has been confirmed numerous times. Perhaps it's a one-use type item which would grant Ryo a special power in combat? I hope not, just throwing out a different suggestion!
Goku_amb_aigua_sagrada.jpg

Back