Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Against all the odds Argentina is doing a great job with only 5000 cases and 273 deaths (peace be with them)

We are actually quite shocked
But because you did the clever thing of cuarantine almost at the same time than in Spain but with far less cases. Look at the carnage that will be Brazil in a couple of weeks...

But because you did the clever thing of cuarantine almost at the same time than in Spain but with far less cases. Look at the carnage that will be Brazil in a couple of weeks...
Of course, that's why we are quite surprised: we actually did what we needed to do in a perfect time.

We usually don't do that, we do the stuff in the argentine style: wrong and late.

If it’s not one thing it’s another...

Between my room constantly switching from freezing to sweltering at the slightest crack of a window, my throat going from bone dry to constantly coughing up mucus at full force, and extreme body aches that have done all but completely debilitate me, I have only now noticed that I am bleeding out and likely have no one to check up on me for a few good hours.

I had a pilonidal cyst a couple years ago and was pretty much forced to have surgery despite hearing how unsuccessful they tend to be. Months of embarrassing check ins later it seems ok but now all of a sudden I’m just bleeding from there with no explanation. First time I definitely felt something was wrong which is even more odd considering now I didn’t notice any pain and it’s leaking far more.

So not directly related to covid but who knows. Maybe the mucus bs is, with the whole hypoxia thing, if it’s not related to post nasal drip or blood loss instead

I've googled and I've googled, I've read all the tips from various newspapers, I've read all the middle class blogs about coping and managing, and I think I'm done.

Someone please tell me what you do with a hyperactive, hyper-emotional three year old who's desperate to go to the playground, desperate to see friends his own age and family and doesn't understand why everything has changed or why he suddenly stays in all day every day with mummy and daddy.

We live in a tiny little house with a tiny back garden. I can't just fill it with slides and swings and shit. I've literally run out of ideas. I swear we have done everything we possibly can with him. Painting? Done it. Play-doh? Done. Silly play with flour and oil and all that shit? Done. Picnics in the garden? Done. Water activities? Done. Walks and bike rides? Done. Baking and cooking? Done. TV? Done. Tablet games? Done. Building a den? Done. I've literally run out of ideas and all we get each day now is massive meltdowns with him bursting into tears because he needs to get out and to play and see other people.

I've googled and I've googled, I've read all the tips from various newspapers, I've read all the middle class blogs about coping and managing, and I think I'm done.

Someone please tell me what you do with a hyperactive, hyper-emotional three year old who's desperate to go to the playground, desperate to see friends his own age and family and doesn't understand why everything has changed or why he suddenly stays in all day every day with mummy and daddy.

We live in a tiny little house with a tiny back garden. I can't just fill it with slides and swings and shit. I've literally run out of ideas. I swear we have done everything we possibly can with him. Painting? Done it. Play-doh? Done. Silly play with flour and oil and all that shit? Done. Picnics in the garden? Done. Water activities? Done. Walks and bike rides? Done. Baking and cooking? Done. TV? Done. Tablet games? Done. Building a den? Done. I've literally run out of ideas and all we get each day now is massive meltdowns with him bursting into tears because he needs to get out and to play and see other people.
Are there any home improvements that are feasible? Even something as basic as sanding down an old dresser or replacing the screws in a couple of door handles will suffice. Not only does this offer the opportunity for some father-son bonding by working as a team, but you will be teaching him some important skills for later life.

Are there any home improvements that are feasible? Even something as basic as sanding down an old dresser or replacing the screws in a couple of door handles will suffice. Not only does this offer the opportunity for some father-son bonding by working as a team, but you will be teaching him some important skills for later life.

Cheers for the tip. Yeah, we've done bits and pieces like that before. I think he's a bit little to get much out of it though unfortunately. It's something to consider. The problem is I think a lot of his emotional outbursts are mostly due to him just not being able to properly go out. Like, we keep trying to come up with 'fixes' and it just doesn't work. We've got him more outdoors toys for him to play with, but he just gets bored of them. I don't think it's the lack of toys or the boredom per se that is actually the issue, I think it's got to a point where he just can't cope anymore with life like this.

Mine is less of an issue. We have a tiny garden but he can entertain himself for hours with the hose and his splash puddle. On the weekends we take a break and sit him in front of the iPad for pretty much the whole day.

I am going for walks with him every now and again but his favourite activities are definitely the outdoors. Though the parks are open, all the play areas have been cordoned off so we'll just walk around, kick ball for a bit and chill.

With that said, being inside most of the time does take its toll. He obviously gets bored sometimes and resorts to games like throwing the ball to hit the light or pouring his drinks into other cups which inevitably spill.

I cut the hedge the other day and let my son sweep the entire mess up

Cheers for the tip. Yeah, we've done bits and pieces like that before. I think he's a bit little to get much out of it though unfortunately. It's something to consider. The problem is I think a lot of his emotional outbursts are mostly due to him just not being able to properly go out. Like, we keep trying to come up with 'fixes' and it just doesn't work. We've got him more outdoors toys for him to play with, but he just gets bored of them. I don't think it's the lack of toys or the boredom per se that is actually the issue, I think it's got to a point where he just can't cope anymore with life like this.
In that case, how about rough-and-tumble play? Not only do kids tend to go wild for it, but it's essential for psychological and physiological development. Might be a good way for him to alleviate his anger and upset at not being able to meet up with his friends, too.

How did he take being given the responsibility?
My son is quite simple and will do anything, most things, that an adult does. Gave him the brush and pan and he got to work. He can be in his own little world at times. Right now for example, he's just playing with car on his bed and singing to himself whilst I type this. The main issue with him at home is that he likes to do stuff like jump up and down on the sofa or bed, especially when he's bored, and other stuff which is likely to get him hurt or break something.

He can also play Mario Kart on the Nintendo Switch. He knows how to drive, jump and use the items but don't think he understands the concept of a race and what exactly he's supposed to do. He just likes driving around and jumping. He also can't steer so we have the auto-steer thing on.

Not being employed I am definitely spending more time with him. If I was working I don't think the wife would be able to handle the baby and him at the same time without him being sat in front of a screen all day. Not being at work, at the very least I have been able to help him quite a lot with his development (he is behind). So far he has made significant progress with his potty training to a point he only wears nappies at night and can actually use the toilet by himself (lifts the seat, flushes and washes his hands). Also been writing out his letters and numbers and his speech has improved as well.

Downside is that during this lockdown I can't enjoy myself or at least feel at ease because of the job situation. We may be able to scrape by May depending on how much my next benefit payment is, but after that it's going into savings and applying for a mortgage holiday. Getting trickles of replies, had an interview with Amazon and they go back to me today to say it was a no. Bit of a long shot but hey. I have one more role in the pipeline and fingers crossed they actually resume the second stage interview when this pandemic dies down a bit.

Have you tried ball in a cup?

Honestly though, try arranging some video calls or summat. I don't have kids, so I wouldn't know, but is sticking em in a drawer an option?

I dont know if its in the cards for you, but go check out the gorilla Gym. It doesn't replace the outside but it will help.
my kids could swing from it for hours, except a shitstorm eventually happens over sharing it.

Had gone to the ER, they managed to stop my bleeding and test me for covid. Sent me home with prescriptions for an antibiotic and an inhaler with albuterol. Basically I’m positive now.

Despite this stuff, it’s been very hard to breathe as just walking slow as I can from one room to another just takes all the energy I have, so I even have to rest half way before I can get to the bathroom. And then I have to fight the urge to vomit despite not having much in my system to begin with. It’s annoying when I know I have to eat something but it’s hard to get any appetite back.

My brother in law had not been eating much of anything and so passed out yesterday and we decided to bring him to the hospital. I’m trying not to end up like him because I just want this to be over..it’s like day 11 or so and I feel like being in a restrictive mask in a hospital would just make things even worse. As they are now I’m constantly going from hot to freezing and having tons of fever dreams and not knowing what time it is or where I am.

I’m a little over 300 pounds, 5 feet, almost in my 30s. My brother in law is about 50, a bit taller and maybe weighs a bit more in a healthy range. Just saying in case anyone believes this is only terrible for the elderly. I understand I’m not exactly healthy but I’d assume a lot of gamers my age aren’t in the best shape.

I think my son is getting cabin fever despite him being outside every time he's warm. He's thrown the odd tantrum but it's so much more intense than normal. Saw him throw himself to the ground and comically roll around screaming the other day. Today he won't up around 3 in the morning and we've both been up since.

I got an email from our nursery with them saying they'll be opening back up June. I can't afford it anyway but just have them notice that we're pulling him out. We've been thinking of it from some time as we're not really seeing the value but the current situation gave a good excuse to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back