Cut contents ?

Since every video game has cut contents.(From small games such as Streets Of Rage 3 that have a removed motorbike stage to big games such as GTA that have lots of cut contents.)

Have the developers shared any cut contents of Shenmue 1 and 2 outside of this one?

Which you can see a cutscene that didn't appear in the final game.(Iwao talking with Ryo and Fuku san.)

Last edited:
There are a ton of beta screenshots, areas, unused scenes, music, textures, etc. Officially released? Not a ton, but still a healthy amount. For starts, check this out: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/media/ There are a ton of galleries here.
Thanks. I have never seen that project Berkley video before.

Kinda funny(Shenmue 3 spoiler)
That Grand master Bei had a concept art at that time.

In the Pix N' Love Shenmue III artbook, there's also a concept art for an elderly couple that is in color and full for the first time, only having been seen previously in that Project Berkeley video.

In the Pix N' Love Shenmue III artbook, there's also a concept art for an elderly couple that is in color and full for the first time, only having been seen previously in that Project Berkeley video.

Oh nice, I missed that. I obviously didn't look at it closely enough.

For some reason I've never seen the rendered Project Berkeley video too, I've always assumed that people were talking about the Saturn's beta trailer...
It's clearly aligned with the card chapters, Shenhua clearly has some psychic powers [ I was arguing about that recently ] and Kowloon looks much more authentic

Thanks to some users in this forum, I have found out that Shenmue 1 was supposed to allow you to ride a bicycle.
index.php

It's insane how some of the animation data is identical between the Saturn and Dreamcast versions.

I read in an interview recently (Phantom River Stone blog?) that they moved Shenmue from base Saturn to an enhanced version of the Saturn that never came out, before they moved it to Dreamcast. This would explain why the Saturn footage looks so damn good.

I might just prefer the look of the Hazuki yard in the Saturn version. It's got way more of an Autumn vibe.

Also interesting that the basement was hidden in the garden somewhere it seems and not the dojo.

It's insane how some of the animation data is identical between the Saturn and Dreamcast versions.

I read in an interview recently (Phantom River Stone blog?) that they moved Shenmue from base Saturn to an enhanced version of the Saturn that never came out, before they moved it to Dreamcast. This would explain why the Saturn footage looks so damn good.

I might just prefer the look of the Hazuki yard in the Saturn version. It's got way more of an Autumn vibe.

Also interesting that the basement was hidden in the garden somewhere it seems and not the dojo.

Yu has already confirmed the saturn footage released was on base saturn , and thats including no memory expansion cartridge.

Yu has already confirmed the saturn footage released was on base saturn , and thats including no memory expansion cartridge.
Really? Do you have the source? It's mostly other people on the team I've seen talk about Shenmue on Saturn. Yu has claimed he doesn't remember much of the Saturn version in past interviews.

Really? Do you have the source? It's mostly other people on the team I've seen talk about Shenmue on Saturn. Yu has claimed he doesn't remember much of the Saturn version in past interviews.

I too want to see that quote. I still don't believe that footage was running on a stock Saturn. I mean the Saturn was capable of some nice stuff, the Z-treme engine is pretty impressive...also, there were some Saturn games towards the end that did show off some pretty impressive leaps forward. But still, I too question if it was running on a stock Saturn as well...it just looks too damn good compared to everything else on the system. Either AM2 really were gods of the Saturn hardware or it was running on a Saturn Pro (if you will)

There are conflicting reports on Shenmue Saturn. At one time, it was definitely confirmed that Shenmue was running on stock hardware, but the Shenmue III release stream with Esra Krabbe says that it was running on an enhanced Saturn. Though it could be different versions of Shenmue Saturn.

BTW, was the Saturn version going to have voice acting ?

I doubt that a cd rom would have enough space to have voice dialogues in an open world game.(And Dreamcast GD-roms had like 1 to 2 GB space)

I once randomly communicated with Takenobu Mitsuyoshi about this...oddly enough.

I asked if there were any voices recorded for Shenmue Saturn, to which he replied that they did have some voices recorded, but everything was "restructured" when the project was moved to Dreamcast. He said that some of the voice actors may have been carried over, but I assume if this were the case, they were only the Japanese ones, since this would have been long before the project was even known about in the west.

Playing The Third, every time I see these beta footages now it seems to me like they kept loosing some core stuff in translation when moving between engines/platforms [ gained some lost some arguably ].
It makes me wonder how much it affected original plot, from my experience adjusting plot on the fly rarely pans out.
[ Also the way Iwao collapses in Saturn's footage never fails to amuse me ]

Last edited:
There are conflicting reports on Shenmue Saturn. At one time, it was definitely confirmed that Shenmue was running on stock hardware, but the Shenmue III release stream with Esra Krabbe says that it was running on an enhanced Saturn. Though it could be different versions of Shenmue Saturn.

Im pretty sure its a video interview, although it may be a text write up on a site. Digital Foundry's shenmue video also says it was on stock saturn, so they probs saw the same interview i did. Its not some hidden thing imo before S3 release this was standard knowledge in the shenmue community.

How would esra know more than the actual devs EDIT:who else as on the release stream?)?

Here is the Dev interview i found, its from 2003 originally:

Shin Ishikawa

Q: Have you worked on the previous DC Shenmue games?
A: I have worked on all Shenmue versions.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit more about the unreleased Saturn version? How long had it been worked on, and did it use the experimental Saturn expansion cartridge or the 4meg RAM card?
A: Nearly two years of work was put in the Saturn version. It didn’t use a booster cartridge nor did it use the 4meg RAM card, so yes, the game was programmed for, and the footage seen as an extra on Shenmue II is from the code running on a stock Saturn.

I may have been remembering that interview , but im sure ive seen something from yu about it, i'll continue looking anywya

Last edited:
How would esra know more than the actual devs EDIT:who else as on the release stream?)?

Here is the Dev interview i found, its from 2003 originally:

Shin Ishikawa

Q: Have you worked on the previous DC Shenmue games?
A: I have worked on all Shenmue versions.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit more about the unreleased Saturn version? How long had it been worked on, and did it use the experimental Saturn expansion cartridge or the 4meg RAM card?
A: Nearly two years of work was put in the Saturn version. It didn’t use a booster cartridge nor did it use the 4meg RAM card, so yes, the game was programmed for, and the footage seen as an extra on Shenmue II is from the code running on a stock Saturn.

I may have been remembering that interview , but im sure ive seen something from yu about it, i'll continue looking anywya

Keiji Okayasu and Yu Suzuki say it, as Esra is just the moderator of sorts for the interview. They describe multiple remakes of Shenmue Saturn, including one that was made specifically for a Saturn with a special acceleration board.

Back